“Great meal”

Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fresh and local fine dining in the heart of Muskoka.
Toronto, Canada
“Great meal”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a very nice table on the upper patio. Food and service were great. The tuna and trout were both cooked perfectly. The butternut squash risotto was delicious.

Kemptville, Canada
“beautiful”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

spent a lovely evening on the deck overlooking the water. i highly recommend the gnocchi with scallops! it was so good, i could have had another serving! :) the wait staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was relaxing and peaceful. i'd definitely return.

1 Thank omaizzy
Burlington, Ontario
“enjoyable lunch”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Recently had lunch at Loondocks. We sat on the patio on a lovely afternoon. The service was very good and we enjoyed our meal. We have also been for dinner a number of times and each experience was a pleasant one with delicious fare. My niece who is a vegan joined us on one occasion and the restaurant was very accomadating in preparing a dish for her. All in all, I would recommend Loondocks.

Prescott, Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful atmosphere and delicious food”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Gnocchi was delicious. The sauce made you want to lick your plate! The atmosphere was peaceful and the view was beautiful.

Mississauga, Canada
“Fell short of high expectations”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to trying something new and had been eying this restaurant since it opened. After reading such positive reviews I was excited to finally make the reservation.

We indulge in fine dining fairly often so admit that our standard might be high but right from the lack luster reception, the uninviting table service and the completely disinterested waitress, we were fighting hard to keep up our positive enthusiasm.

We both started with the Muskoka salad which was fine but nothing special. I followed with the venison tenderloin and my husband had the maple trout. When our entrees arrived we had to ask for knives. The waitress borough one knife and dropped it beside my husband's plate. Of course we then had to ask for another knife for me. Considering the venison was quite tender and delicious I felt it deserved a proper meat knife rather than a simple dinner knife. It just would have made the meal seem more elegant rather than the calibre of a diner..

The trout was OK....the butternut squash purée served with it was excellent . I traded my roasted root vegetables for my husband's squash as I felt they were dry and undercooked. The vegetables were pretty however in their pastry shell and my husband seemed to like them.

We did not bother to stay for dessert. The options did not appeal to us and frankly we were just not having a good time.

This is the first time I have ever written a restaurant review and it saddens me that it had to be a negative one. I am also distressed that Canadians often seem to have such a hard time with hospitality. Do the owners of restaurants not bother to train their staff? I am proud to have my cottage in Muskoka but when our company arrives at the end of the month, we would be embarrassed to bring them to Loondocks.

3 Thank Brenda M