“Affordable fine dining!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fresh and local fine dining in the heart of Muskoka.
Toronto, Canada
“Affordable fine dining!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Nice job here this restaurant has a fantastic location but wow nice food great talent in the kitchen. Much cheaper food than at my hotel (marriot) and I would say it's better too. I had the beef which had a stunning sauce and cheesy potatoes, my wife tried scallops for the first time and loved it. Impressive wine list and cool desserts! Nice to see some local flavors server was telling me about the farms and butchers nearby that supply the menu. Personally I enjoyed the view and the pricing best prices for fine dining I have seen in a while. Seems like a lot of young staff, maybe a bit too young but it is cottage country I guess. Found this restaurant using trip advisor seems fair to pay it forward: skip the hotel restaurants and venture to this spot for a real taste of Muskoka while your here.

• Visited July 2013

Frankfurt, Germany
“Hidden gem - Simply Amazing!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We picked loondocks for our birthday celebration on our way to the cottage near rosseau. When we arrived, we were immediately charmed by the view of the patio and the politeness of the server. The ambience is very classy overlooking the water of port carling locks. The menu has all you look for - from duck breasts, steaks, maple trouts, scallops...

We place our orders and immediately drinks and breads were served. The pacing is simply perfect - not rushing and not slow.

While we wait, we saw a whole family of loons, crossing the bridge efficiently - which were soooo cute. we then thought may be thats why this place is called loondocks. But we didnt ask the server this question.

The food is simply amazing - we can tell the passion from the chef on how the food was being decorated. The desserts were even more wonderful - we had the creme brulee, hot peach crumble - mix with cold icecream (what a awesome contrast), cheese cake and chocolate bar. All four of us were very impressed.

We took lots of pictures - the view of the port carling locks and the food. All in all, definitely a 5***** experience that i would recommend everyone to visit. A "Hidden Gem" in port carling that i would love to keep it to myself forever. Im sure this place will become a hot spot in no time.

Mississauga, Canada
“Always Awesome”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I was up visiting a friend in Port Carling and having been to Loondocks before, I made the most of my few days in Port Carling by stopping in twice. The first time I came in during lunch where I had the sliders with a Muskoka salad. The 3 sliders were cooked perfectly and came with very nice fresh baked buns and had a delicious spread on them. Both the sliders and the muskoka salad were very good and obviously had the ingredients either purchased fresh or made in house.
The next day I stopped by for dinner where I selected the Saigon Rolls and the Mac n Cheese. The Saigon rolls have hand made written all over them. Every ingredient is sliced and organized for the perfect balance. Roll are often overlooked when it comes to care and preperation and are probably pre made in a lot of places; not these ones. It comes with an amazing peanut sause that I should have asked for more of. If you like peanut butter at all, ask for extra, you'll love it! As for the Mac n cheese, hands down the most flavourfull ever. I didn't think any mac n cheese could ever be that good. Aged cheddar and prosciutto are the frontline to the flavor that will leave you disappointed should you ever eat a "normal" Mac n cheese again. I want another one right now!
As a final note I see that anyone that leaves anything short of a 5/5 usually has an issue with the price. Loondocks is not a place that serves frozen, pre made, re heated dishes. You can see and taste the difference in homemade bread, sauses, spreads and other ingredients. If you want pre packaged restaurant industry food, good to TJ's. If you want a healthy, flavorful, home style experience that will challange even your best home cooked meal, go see Loondocks.
PS All of their servers are fantastic!

Barrie, Canada
“Disappointed: Poor Service & Value”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We chose Loondocks for our anniversary dinner because of the great reviews & outdoor seating. We reserved a table on the patio 2 weeks prior & were pleased when the chef/owner replied to our request thanking us for choosing his restaurant for our special occasion.

When we arrived, we told the hostess of our reservation & were seated inside in a dark, cramped corner despite the restaurant being empty. We asked to sit outside as we had reserved. We were told that there was only room outside in the uncovered section & we would lose our inside table if it rained. We were then seated on the lower tier of the patio which has a beautiful view of the locks & comfortable plush seating.

The menu had a good selection of food to suit any taste. We ordered the fresh spring rolls to share. They were tasty but extremely small! We were given three 1"x4" rolls for $12! I ordered the maple trout which was fresh but bland. However, I enjoyed the butternut puree, carrots, & maple merlot reduction that accompanied it. My spouse was underwhelmed by the duck. We then ordered dessert; the creme brulee was basic & very small for $7. I wasn't told what the flavor of the day was & couldn't taste it either. My husband enjoyed his cheesecake.

Our bill was over $100 not including drinks. The food was good but not great. The portions were small & we felt that the value was poor. We were not impressed by how we were greeted. We won't be back.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank physio2
ChefKevin99, Owner at Loondocks Restaurant, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments and I am very sorry you were dissapointed on your anniversary. We strive to provide excellent service and value to every guest on every night. Unfourtunatly we have a small dining room, with only 8 tables inside, and are therefor at the mercy of the weather. We cannot reserve two tables for our guests "in case" it rains (one inside and one outside). That would be like asking an airline to hold both the aisle and window seat depending on the view. We try our best to make sure your experience is not ruined by the weather, that is why you were initially sat inside on that day. I am glad you enjoyed most of your meal. Our spring rolls are $11 and are hand rolled every day with fresh cut vegetables and garnishes, accompanied by a hand made peanut sauce with peanut butter made from scratch. Unfourtanlty I would be losing money if I were to charge less. In any event we are here to serve you, had you made your server aware of your impressions we would have taken steps to make you happy. I am truly sorry your anniversary experience was not a positive one. Hopefully we can welcome you back in the future for a 5 star dining experience.
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
“Perfect Muskoka evenings.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

An evening at Loondocks is a essential Muskoka experience. The setting (overlooking the locks in Port Carling) sets a perfect atmosphere for relaxing with friends on the patio with a drink and a great meal. It is clear that everyone who works there really cares about the restaurant and it's patrons. Our server paid close attention to detail, even remembering us the second time we visited and was efficient and friendly.

The food itself is very unique. The Chef clearly pays close attention to detail and brings together winning combinations using fresh and local ingredients. DEFINITELY try the Muskoka salad to start (got it both times...amazing). Make a reservation before you go, the patio especially fills up fast every night.