“Best Anniversary Dinner Ever!”

Loondocks Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fresh and local fine dining in the heart of Muskoka.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

On a recent trip, my boyfriend treated me to a very special dinner at Loondocks, for our anniversary. We both ordered the beef tenderloin, wow, it was a meal to remember. Everything was cooked to perfection. The excellent service and attention to details make you feel like royalty. They have a very good wine list, including Canadian wines, which we were impressed with. They truly deserve their reputation as the best restaurant in Muskoka.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Do not let this summer come to a end without treating yourself to a gem we found in Port Carling. Atmosphere, service and to top it off the meals we had were outstanding. If you are lucky enough to be there to enjoy the sunset on the patio that completes your evening. We all shared a few of what they call small plates before indulging in the main dishes. The International Cheese Board was a real hit but the mmmmm that came from all that had the Mushroom Risotto created many smiles. I personally loved the Scallops. I had a tough decision betweeen having Butternut Zucchini Toulade or the Grilled Atlantic Salmon. I made the best decision and had the Salmon and talked my friend to share with me and have the Toulade. Amazing!!!!!!!! Be proud Loondocks we will be back again and again. Thanks

2  Thank marvin154984
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary, courtesy of my mom, by having dinner at Loondocks. Overlooking the locks of Port Carling, it was truly picturesque.
I had the Muskoka Trout, my wife the beef tenderloin and both were exquisite. The appetizers of scallops and caesar salad set up the meal perfectly and the desserts concluded the meal craving for a return visit.
Michael from Mississauga served us well, the restaurant owner Kevin greeted us at the outset to add to our sense of welcome. I can't imagine a better meal or meal experience anywhere!

1  Thank John D
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I've been in Loondocks with my girlfriend. We had duck Wellington and Butternut Zucchini Roulade due to chief's recommendation and we loved them. Cooked perfect and delicious. If you want to try local foods, you must definitely try here.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I made reservations at this relatively new restaurant in Port Carling, and had to take a cancellation just to get in ... usually a good sign... we were not disappointed. So rather than portraying our experience in a series of "lengthy" paragraphs, I'll just list the headlines...

1. Service - had a young fellow who was extremely well versed in all the meals being served and ingredients that made them up. Top-notch, and friendly to boot.

2. Food - as mentioned, the food was extremely fresh and sourced locally (from what I could gather). Oddly enough, one of the highlights was the bread. So often now, bread is overlooked because, heaven-forbid, it has "wheat" in it... I'm not sure what flavor this panne was, but I can tell you we didn't need to add any olive oil, as the bread stood on its own in flavor and texture. I had the duck, which was excellent, with a polenta on the side (also excellent, but a tad cool when it arrived.) My wife had the grilled salmon and ginger rice... cooked on a "green-egg" grill, which I had never experienced before, but found it offered a superb taste without overwhelming the fish with too much of a charcoal flavor.

3. Wine - this could do with a little help. far too many Canadian bottles (of average quality) but with above average prices. We had a French Merlot which was average, but again pricey. My simple recommendation here would be to incorporate more Argentinian, Chilean, and Spanish wines which are of excellent value, and would bring the average price of wine down considerably, making the overall meal experience a little more palatable from a vino price point.

4. Atmosphere - we didn't hit the staggered deck as it had been raining earlier, but if I had the chance, this is where I would sit next time... some tables appeared to have heaters. (not that the inside was bad, it was very well done and quite intimate).

Overall, this little spot is well worth a second visit... which I plan to do for lunch... next time.