“New Years in Muskoka”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Toronto
“New Years in Muskoka”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Inn had a New Years special which included champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, dinner and breakfast. Nice atmosphere, wood burning fireplaces in the main lodge and a campfire going in a fire pit just in front of the hotel, very nice. The food was fabulous, nice wine list and big comfy rooms. The Inn sits on a nice piece of property which has marked trails for walking, snowshoeing or cross country skiing. The staff was well trained and very helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrishAudity
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Irish Audity,

Thank you for choosing to spend your New Years Eve with us at the Sherwood Inn.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience, our helpful staff and all the amenities that the resort has to offer.
we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in Muskoka in the near future.

Best EJP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I decided on Boxing Day to drive 4 1/2 hours to Muskoka in search of snow (which at the time we were lacking in Southwestern Ontario). We were a bit limited in our selection of rooms because we were travelling with out little14lb terrier (pets are not permitted in the main inn or the Maplewood rooms). This seemed a little absurd as she is cleaner and quieter than most toddlers I know :) and has stayed in some of the swankiest hotels in North America without restricitions. Regardless, we settled on the Edgewood cottage. Immediately on entering we knew something was "up". The room smelled like a heavily disinfected nursing home. When we entered the bathroom, it smelled like sewage (aha!). That evening we discovered that the base of the toilet leaked all over the floor when flushed. Obviously, the cleaning staff would have observed this when cleaning the toilet for our arrival? All night long, my little terrier barked frantically at the whirlpool tub (had we been in the main inn we probably would have been kicked out :) ). Finally, my husband peeled back the apron on the front of the tub and discovered a nice little collection of acorns! We had visitors!! Apart from the plumbing issues and the critters, the room was very run down (for the price we paid). The paint was peeling on the ceilings and window frames, the floor in the closet was buckled and the horizontal blinds on the entry door were bent and dirty. The next morning we asked to be moved and were advised the Birchwood bedsitting cottage was available. This room was clean and well-maintained, albeit smaller, and we enjoyed our second night much more than the first! On checkout, we were charged the Edgewood rate for 2 nights (even though the Birchwood is $50 less expensive). I had to point this out to the desk staff and request a discount for the second night. On a positive note, the desk staff were very warm and friendly and the main inn appeared quite lovely. We opted for the modified American meal plan which included breakfast and dinner daily and we were extremely pleased with the quality of the food and the service. I had difficulty rating this property because our first night left such a negative impression. We would likely give the Sherwood Inn a "second chance"but we most certainly will not stay in the Edgewood cottage :)

Room Tip: Avoid the Edgewood. It is not well-maintained.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillandErick
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Jill and Erick,

Thank you for writing a review following your two night stay with us around boxing day.
I was sorry to learn about your troubles with the Edgewood Cottage but also glad to hear that we were able to move you to the Birchwood cottage and that you enjoyed your stay there.
Both cottages incidentally offer the exact same foot print of space, albeit in a slightly different layout.
The Edgewood cottage has a higher price due to its location at the edge of our property, private dock in the summer months and it not being attached to another cottage like the Birchwood and Applewood units.

We have recently replaced the septic tank behind the Edgewood cottage prior to your arrival, which further added to the plumbing issues with that room as not enough activity in the new tank resulted in less thank ideal biological process to take place that creates heat in the septic system and helps in keeping the system from freezing, which resulted in the unfortunate back flow into the cottage. We wanted to do this work earlier in the fall but unfortunately due to high occupancy levels in the late fall weekends it was carried out during colder and more inclement weather, which no doubt contributed to the situation on hand.
You can rest assured that had our staff known about the condition in advance, we would not have rented that cottage to you.
Sorry about the visitor under the bath tub. In cold weather living in Muskoka we always have some issues with animals looking for warmth and shelter and sometimes we don't discover this until its too late so thank you to you terrier for finding the culprit.

Our pet policy is in line with other resorts and hotels alike and 50% of our room inventory is pet friendly. We do allow pets in the 10 Cedarwood units, all of our ten cottages and our "Swankiest room" of all The Boathouse.
We consciously do not allow pets( other than service animals) in the main Inn as it houses two food and beverage outlets and noise complaints from pets in rooms above these dining areas in the past have led us to make that call.

I was pleased to read about my staff's ability to rectify your situation and that you enjoyed the food and service at both breakfast and dinner.

7 of our 10 cottages are scheduled for a face lift in the spring, the 4 bed sitting cottages and the Edgewood cottage among them and the deficiencies that you have pointed out will definitely be addressed at that time.

We appreciate your comments and feedback as well as your business.

we would love to see you return to the Sherwood Inn in Muskoka and I invite you to contact me personally to make your next booking.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was a wonderful getaway. We arrived on December 30th and departed on the 1st. The room was beautiful with a king size bed, wood burning fireplace (I will come back to this) and overlooking lake joseph. we were in room 521 in the mapleview building. We ate there 2 nights and food was exceptional, although it is a little pricey. The staff were amazing. Keegan on the front desk, Esa - General Manager and Jenny in the dining room all treated us very well! I booked it in early December and I requested a "romantic" table and Jenny treated us to what turned out to be a private table in front of the fireplace in the lounge - really nice! And a REAL wood burning fireplace.

Food was really good! I could have ordered anything off the menu and been happy which doesn't happen very often for me.

There was a boatload of snow before and during our stay and it was 25 degrees below 0 while we were there!!!!!! but it was still beautiful and warm inside everywhere. Road and driveway and paths easily accessible and cleaned of snow. They had snow shoes and cross country skis and trails right on the property, which we took advantage of.

Only one real complaint which we negelected to discuss with Esa when we were there.

We upgraded our room to a wood burning fireplace. I actually had a discussion about the merits of burning wood versus the fake logs with the lady on the phone when I booked it. And made sure we would have access to enough wood during out stay. However upon check in, we were informed - only the fake logs were to be burned in the room and you were only allotted one per day. did I mention - it was -25 celcius out! And we paid an extra $40 a night, plus tax, for that. Definitely would have been better off just getting the gas fireplace for the extra $100, but we didn't really clue into that when we checked in.

Otherwise - would have bee 5 star excellent review.

Oh yes and really nice touch - they clean off all the cars in the parking lot of the 6 inches of snow we got over night.

GREAT place - will definitely come back! GREAT staff!!!!

Room Tip: the rooms in the maple on the lake side all have balconies (at least 2nd and 3rd floor do) although...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YOURFUNNYGUY
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Yourfunnyguy,

Thank you for your raving review following your two night stay with us over New Years.

I was happy to read that your romantic get-away turned out to be a pleasant one, that you gave my team and myself the opportunity to interact with you.

Sorry about the fire log / firewood situation.
We made a conscious decision several years ago to only burn fire logs in the 6 rooms of the Maplewood Building as we more often than not encountered numerous smoke-out situations in the past from some "novice" fire builders that unfortunately affected the entire floor when ever there was a mishap.
As an option for the "die-hard" fireplace lovers we do have 9 cottages available on property with real wood burning fireplaces and real wood in abundance.
I was pleased to read that the meals and our staff service met with your approval.
The Snow just keeps coming, but that's the main ingredient for us to have the opportunity to offer a winter wonderland experience to all of our guests, and opens many opportunities for wintery outdoor ,as well as cozy indoor activities.

I appreciate your feedback and comments as well as thank you for your business.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sherwood Inn during your next visit.

London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I would recommend the Sherwood Inn, Port Carling in the Muskokas, it's a beautiful, cozy hotel where nothing is too much trouble. We arrive yesterday, the 22nd November in a little snow storm which progressed overnight to snow squalls, with a big fire inside the bar area and a fire pit outside the main door and fireplaces in a lot of rooms, this is the perfect place to stay. Our room overlooked the lake, our son's room also overlooked the lake from a big picture window, stunning. We ate in the hotel restaurant, the food was excellent and before 6.30pm they were having a 2 course deal for $20 which was superb value for money. Breakfast was $15 per head for a buffet with everything you could possibly want to eat from cranberry blueberry bread to fresh fruit and eggs benedict plus the usual eggs, bacon and pancakes. The staff are really and nothing is too much trouble, they serve a board with 4 samplers on from the bar, I wanted a glass (they're small with the Muskokas on them), I asked if I could keep one and the owner informed me that if I purchase a sampler that I could take the board and glasses with me, which of course I did. I would certainly recommend the Sherwood Inn to everyone wanting a relaxing break, lots of walks locally and pretty villages to visit, we've had a lovely time, thank you Sherwood Inn.

Room Tip: I would recommend having a room with a fireplace overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bev1959
Dear Bev1959,

Thank you for your detailed synopsis following your stay with us in late November.

I was pleased to read that all aspects of your stay were positive , that you enjoyed your rooms, the resort amenities and the surroundings.

I was happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our early bird dinner special which we offer on Thursday and Friday nights for both resort guests and locals alike.

Thank you for your purchase of the Muskoka Brewery Beer sampling flight and I am glad to see that you got the paddle and sample glasses as promised; you are now a new Muskoka Cottage Brewery Beer Ambassador and can spread the word about their great brews.

It was a pleasure to meet your entire family and thank you for your visit to my resort.

Until Next Time EJP
Pickering
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We came for an (off season) Muskoka getaway weekend and absolutely loved it here. Starting with checking in, all of the staff were wonderful. We got a fabulous room in the Inn (207). Corner room nice and big for being in the Inn. Sat by the outside fire in Muskoka chairs, had a nice hot tub, then a fantastic dinner. The beef tenderloin with stilton cheese was cooked to perfection. Our server Lauren was so pleasant and accommodating both nights. She was perfect. Even the manager chatted with us. Everyone is so friendly here it makes it so relaxing. Just sitting in the lounge reading with a glass of wine or walking around the beautiful grounds. The waterfront looks lovely and would probably be beautiful in the summer. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for room 207 in the Inn. There isn't a fireplace but it is still a beautiful room. Large bat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Picfire
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for your review following your Muskoka Weekend getaway stay with us and thanks for choosing us as your destination.

I was pleased to read your positive comments about your stay, your corner room at the inn and Lauren's service on both nights' dinner. It was a pleasure to also chat with you in person and we are grateful that all the chips fell in place and that you had a great time at our resort.

We are so looking forward to your next visit with us.

Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

What a great place to hide from the world and reality for a few days. The atmosphere and the food is second to none! We spent two days there last weekend to relax and spoil ourselves with amazing food and wine.
Even though it rained and snowed and even hailed a bit it was sooooo worth it.

Room Tip: Stay close to the water , not way out back in the five storey building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lee B
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Lee B,

Thank you for writing a review detailing your experience over the past weekend's stay with us.
Despite the cold and wet weather, I was pleased to learn that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our resort, and that you found us as the perfect place to hide from the hustle and bustle of the world.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us for your next "perfect getaway".

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Sherwood Inn on Friday afternoon of the long weekend filled with anticipation of a great weekend in a nice room with a view of the lake as we were assured by the reservation folks, with good food and great service. We did get great food, and great service in the dining room from Jeffrey and others. All the dining room staff were excellent as was the food. Clearly, the setting is beautiful as well, so that was as expected.
When we checked in with Keegan, it was all done professionally and cordially. We then went to our Maplewood room with the promised view of the lake, looked out our balcony onto a large rock and some trees. We were at the back of the building with no view, or even a hint of a view of the lake on a tiny balcony in a rather cramped, but nicely decorated room. I phoned Keegan immediately and explained our position. He told me that the reservation person should not have promised us a lake view and that there was nothing he could do about it. I asked if we had booked for all three nights instead of two, would that have given us a lake view? He said no. I asked if we had been there earlier, would that have done it? He said no. He told me that it was luck of the draw and that the rooms were assigned "the day of" and reiterated that he couldn't change us to another Maplewood room. He said he had a Cedarwood room, which is a lesser room, but it did have a lake view. We agreed to move; ourselves I might add with no offer of assistance. We went to that room--there was a view of the lake, but no balcony, a single tub and gas fireplace instead of wood. I opened the fridge to put in some drinks and a wasp flew out of the fridge and landed on my face. We looked downstairs and saw that the room below us had a patio and a view so asked if we could go to that room; number 612. We moved there. There was no welcome bottle of wine, so I spoke to Keegan about that and he said "didn't you bring the one from the first room with you?". We had not, as we didn't feel it was our place to do so. He did get that delivered promptly. Room 612 had gouges (and I mean deep gouges)all up and down the entry door inside and around the lock, it had paint peeling from the ceiling in at least three places in the bathroom, it had a gas fireplace that we had to stand right in front of to look over the logs to see a quarter inch flame at the back. The fireplace smelled so strongly of gas, that we shut it off immediately for fear of some incident. The toilet had disgusting black marks all around the base and rocked back and forth so much when used that the water was sloshing in the tank. I actually thought it was sewage coming up the first time and felt as if the whole thing would tip over when used. It was very unstable.
When we got the keys for the final room at checking Keegan apologized for the mixup and said " I hope we can make amends over the weekend".
He then proceeded to walk right by us in the dining room without a word when we were there for dinner. I thought at the very least he would have approached us and asked if the meal was ok, or if we were enjoying our stay, but he made eye contact and kept on going. That would have been the perfect time to come over, say hello and "make amends".
I spent over $1,000.00 for the Thanksgiving Package for a surprise special occasion for my partner and myself. We were very disappointed and at this point see no reason to ever return. I might also add that this is the first time I have ever written a review. I have experienced everything from disappointment to elation at many resorts/hotels etc throughout the world and not once written about them. I felt I had to in this case.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David E
Dear David e,

Thank you for your detailed account and sequence of events following your stay with us over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Needless to say I was equally disappointed to read about your troubles during your stay.
Your points that you have made are valid and I can assure you they will be followed up by my personal attention to some of the deficiencies as you have noted.

Your experience with Keegan who doubles as a front office agent as well as helps in the dining room on busy nights, is not the typical service delivery that he provides to our guests as you can see from many positive mentions from other guests on this site.
However your feedback gives me some great points to coach him on his hospitality journey on how to learn from this experience.

Our room assignment in the Maplewood building is determined by both the bedding configuration as well as the wood burning fireplaces that are in 6 of the 14 rooms in the building and 2 of these rooms do have a forest view. I was sorry to read that the Cedarwood room did not meet your expectations. As to the rocking toilets, some of the flanges under the toilets have been compromised over the years have been adjusted and clearly your room, albeit on the list, was not one of those.
I have personally inspected both room in that building that you occupied, and we have actioned the necessary repairs to the noted deficiencies.

It is our hope and wish to only have happy returning guests at our resort and clearly we dropped the ball in your case.

I was pleased to read that you found the food, service and surroundings all a positive part of your stay and I have reached out to you via e-mail to offer to have dialogue with you to resolve some of your disappointments and to have an opportunity to make amends and give you a reason to return back to the Sherwood Inn.

I am sorry that your experience with us made you write your first hotel stay review as a not so positive one and hope that you afford me the opportunity to make things right for you by restoring your faith with our property and product.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Carling
Windermere House Resort & Hotel
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 10 in Bracebridge

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!