“Perfect getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Waterloo, Canada
“Perfect getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

What a great place to hide from the world and reality for a few days. The atmosphere and the food is second to none! We spent two days there last weekend to relax and spoil ourselves with amazing food and wine.
Even though it rained and snowed and even hailed a bit it was sooooo worth it.

Room Tip: Stay close to the water , not way out back in the five storey building.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lee B
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Lee B,

Thank you for writing a review detailing your experience over the past weekend's stay with us.
Despite the cold and wet weather, I was pleased to learn that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our resort, and that you found us as the perfect place to hide from the hustle and bustle of the world.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us for your next "perfect getaway".

Best EJP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Sherwood Inn on Friday afternoon of the long weekend filled with anticipation of a great weekend in a nice room with a view of the lake as we were assured by the reservation folks, with good food and great service. We did get great food, and great service in the dining room from Jeffrey and others. All the dining room staff were excellent as was the food. Clearly, the setting is beautiful as well, so that was as expected.
When we checked in with Keegan, it was all done professionally and cordially. We then went to our Maplewood room with the promised view of the lake, looked out our balcony onto a large rock and some trees. We were at the back of the building with no view, or even a hint of a view of the lake on a tiny balcony in a rather cramped, but nicely decorated room. I phoned Keegan immediately and explained our position. He told me that the reservation person should not have promised us a lake view and that there was nothing he could do about it. I asked if we had booked for all three nights instead of two, would that have given us a lake view? He said no. I asked if we had been there earlier, would that have done it? He said no. He told me that it was luck of the draw and that the rooms were assigned "the day of" and reiterated that he couldn't change us to another Maplewood room. He said he had a Cedarwood room, which is a lesser room, but it did have a lake view. We agreed to move; ourselves I might add with no offer of assistance. We went to that room--there was a view of the lake, but no balcony, a single tub and gas fireplace instead of wood. I opened the fridge to put in some drinks and a wasp flew out of the fridge and landed on my face. We looked downstairs and saw that the room below us had a patio and a view so asked if we could go to that room; number 612. We moved there. There was no welcome bottle of wine, so I spoke to Keegan about that and he said "didn't you bring the one from the first room with you?". We had not, as we didn't feel it was our place to do so. He did get that delivered promptly. Room 612 had gouges (and I mean deep gouges)all up and down the entry door inside and around the lock, it had paint peeling from the ceiling in at least three places in the bathroom, it had a gas fireplace that we had to stand right in front of to look over the logs to see a quarter inch flame at the back. The fireplace smelled so strongly of gas, that we shut it off immediately for fear of some incident. The toilet had disgusting black marks all around the base and rocked back and forth so much when used that the water was sloshing in the tank. I actually thought it was sewage coming up the first time and felt as if the whole thing would tip over when used. It was very unstable.
When we got the keys for the final room at checking Keegan apologized for the mixup and said " I hope we can make amends over the weekend".
He then proceeded to walk right by us in the dining room without a word when we were there for dinner. I thought at the very least he would have approached us and asked if the meal was ok, or if we were enjoying our stay, but he made eye contact and kept on going. That would have been the perfect time to come over, say hello and "make amends".
I spent over $1,000.00 for the Thanksgiving Package for a surprise special occasion for my partner and myself. We were very disappointed and at this point see no reason to ever return. I might also add that this is the first time I have ever written a review. I have experienced everything from disappointment to elation at many resorts/hotels etc throughout the world and not once written about them. I felt I had to in this case.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David E
Dear David e,

Thank you for your detailed account and sequence of events following your stay with us over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Needless to say I was equally disappointed to read about your troubles during your stay.
Your points that you have made are valid and I can assure you they will be followed up by my personal attention to some of the deficiencies as you have noted.

Your experience with Keegan who doubles as a front office agent as well as helps in the dining room on busy nights, is not the typical service delivery that he provides to our guests as you can see from many positive mentions from other guests on this site.
However your feedback gives me some great points to coach him on his hospitality journey on how to learn from this experience.

Our room assignment in the Maplewood building is determined by both the bedding configuration as well as the wood burning fireplaces that are in 6 of the 14 rooms in the building and 2 of these rooms do have a forest view. I was sorry to read that the Cedarwood room did not meet your expectations. As to the rocking toilets, some of the flanges under the toilets have been compromised over the years have been adjusted and clearly your room, albeit on the list, was not one of those.
I have personally inspected both room in that building that you occupied, and we have actioned the necessary repairs to the noted deficiencies.

It is our hope and wish to only have happy returning guests at our resort and clearly we dropped the ball in your case.

I was pleased to read that you found the food, service and surroundings all a positive part of your stay and I have reached out to you via e-mail to offer to have dialogue with you to resolve some of your disappointments and to have an opportunity to make amends and give you a reason to return back to the Sherwood Inn.

I am sorry that your experience with us made you write your first hotel stay review as a not so positive one and hope that you afford me the opportunity to make things right for you by restoring your faith with our property and product.

Oshawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 32 Anniversary at the Sherwood Inn which we found to be a quiet and quaint Inn. We stayed in the Robinwood Cottage. The cottage was fantastic and was very private. It exceeded our expectations. It was amazing to have our own private dock.

The staff was very polite. Amenities were sufficient. The food was excellent. Our only complaint was the delay in being served, but when we were served, the food was excellent. It appeared the dining room was understaffed and this could be a result of locals dining as well and the Inn not being able to accommodate the increase which resulted in the delay of orders being taken, and food being served to our table in a timely manner. Jeffery served us in the lounge and was very polite and knowledgeable.

We enjoyed the shuffleboard outside as well as the fire pit in the front of the Inn. We met new friends and will try to visit the Inn in the future.

Joanne Y

Room Tip: For privacy, the Robinwood Cottage is a great place to stay. The king-size bed was so comfortable, I...
1 Thank Joanne H
Dear Joanne H and Hubby,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your 32nd anniversary celebration.
I was pleased to read that your overall stay with us was a positive one.

My apologies for the delay in getting you served in a timely manner.
Our clientele definitely is a mix of locals, seasonal home owners and resort guests alike, but our primary focus is always to ensure that the Resort guests get taken care of in a timely fashion.
We definitely have an exodus of seasonal staff after labor day and Thanksgivin as they return back to school, but the delays in getting you served more efficiently are more a product of poor reservation mapping by our team rather than being under staffed. We have recently taken mesures to plan our dining seatings better as we have had an influx of increased fall weekend occupancy.

I appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit to our resort.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Built in 1939, this lovely inn, was everything we were looking for. Relaxing and welcoming in a beautiful setting on Lake Joseph. The service was the best, the staff very friendly. The firepit at the front entrance was a nice place to meet new friends.
Thank you Jeffery for the wine cellar tour and wine recommendations. Thank you Sam for the suggesting of Southwood Rd for the trip home.

Dear Jill P,
I was happy to read about your positive "autumn break" and experience at our resort.

Glad to see that you were able to enjoy the tranquil settings, our service and cuisine and the interaction with our team members such as Jeff and Sam.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and serving you again at our resort.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a 1 night relaxing getaway without the children. We found it at Sherwood Inn. This inn was beautiful, quiet and quaint. The number one quality that Sherwood Inn possesses, however, is it's exemplary customer service. We were greeted at the front counter by Keegan! By far the BEST front desk person that we have ever encountered! Each and every employee was just as customer service oriented as Keegan. The chef and his staff outdid themselves with the spectacular dinner and extraordinary Buffett breakfast. The general manager showed his dedication to the Inn, and it's guests, on Thanksgiving weekend, when he worked the entire weekend. This, in itself, is not an astounding feat. What was astounding was the fact that it was his wife's 50th birthday. That is dedication to customer service! We could go on and on but Sherwood Inn is definitely a destination to experience.
And

Room Tip: We chose a room in the Inn rather than a cottage. It had a more relaxed feel.
2 Thank Pete G
Dear Pete G,

Thank you for your positive review and accolades following your stay with us during the Thaksgiving weekend.

The exemplary customer service comment really hits home with all of us at the resort, as we all work very hard at exceeding our guests expectations in all that we do living up to our motto 'Come as a guest and leave as family".

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to the Sherwood annually for 4 years. Year after year we are never disappointed. The service is excellent, the food is out of this world. The location and surroundings are picturesque and quiet. There is lots to do if you want to be active. Special mention to Jeff in the dining room. He is knowledgeable and very responsive. Keegan on front desk - extremely pleasant and professional to deal with. Melissa, breakfast chef - goes out of her way to make sure you are enjoying breakfast. Tiffany, chef - the food and food choice continue to exceed our expectations. A sincere thank you. We will be back and we recommend the Sherwood Inn.

Room Tip: Cottages are on the water rooms. Rooms in the inn are nice
Dear Teri M,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor following your annual stay with us, and our gratitude for your continued support over the past four years.
I was most pleased to read about your positive experiences with us during your stay.
I will be sure to share your accolades with my entire team, but most notably with Jeff, Keegan, Melissa and Tiffany who all seem to have made a lasting impression with you.

Looking forward to welcoming you "home" soon to the Sherwood Inn.

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I found Sherwood Inn on the internet, and decided to wed there. We had a very intimate wedding ceremony, with only our immediate family members. We got married on a Wednesday afternoon, down on the point - surrounded by trees and water. It was beautiful, I couldn't have imagined a nicer spot to get married. After our ceremony we had a lovely meal in the wine cellar, and stayed the night. Not only was the inn beautiful, but every single Sherwood employee went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and make our day special.
I would recommend the inn to anyone, for a wedding or just a vacation...there is much to do, but at the same time it is very quiet and relaxing.
My husband and I plan to go back soon, and my parents also fell in love with the inn and plan to go there for their anniversary.
Thank you all for making our day soooooo special.
Christie and Jason

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christie and Jason,

Firstly I would like to thank you both for choosing our resort as the venue for your nuptials.

It was both a pleasure and a privilege for our entire team to be part of your special day, and we want to wish you both much love and joy on your life journey together.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Carling
#3 of 4 in Port Severn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 10 in Bracebridge

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!