“I guess it is the only place in town, I will starve next time.”

Turtle Jack's Muskoka Grill
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very slow service, and I am not sure if they cared or not to hustle to make it good?. The staff seemed to out number the patrons and they were having more fun than we were. I found it odd they all looked somehow the same,..long hair and young,...and it seemed, all very in experienced. And was there any type of manager around? I didn't think so as there was one area between the bar and main dining area where they all congregated and gossiped to each other,....you had to push yourself through them to get to the washroom. I think the patrons were in their way? I have to say, we had one very good waiter so I cannot complain about them all. He was fun and energetic and definitely tried to upsell food and drink.

We thought this rule was bit out of hand,...there were many foursomes of people waiting to get tables on the patio, there were a few tables for 6 empty,....and only plastic tables and chairs that could be easily separated,... but the foursomes had to wait for a table of four, the couples could go right in and sit at couches,....and the tables still empty waiting for 6 or 8 to show up. Meanwhile, there were still a few "fours" empty, but they could not see further than their valley girl hair to notice. So we stood around outside with our beepers and watched the mayhem with the waitresses at the pedestal trying to figure out whose job was whose and where they could sit patrons at all the empty tables? Maybe we were to be selected by order of hair or eye color?

The food was expensive, ...you pay to play at these kinds of places,...some of it very tasty and different. The grilled cheeses were nice and crispy. The French fries saggy, and the sweet potato fries wilted. The onion rings were huge and looked amazing, I wished I had ordered them. Very little of either of these on the plate. Watch the liquor tax added at the end to make the draught beet almost $10 each by the time they taxed it 3 times.

It took forever to get the bill, the seat, and the food,....but it was sunny and being on the patio and over looking the water was nice. And docks to pull up your boats to and nearby decent shopping. Shop while waiting for your table or food to come? Some of our crowd did. If your in a hurry, this is not the place to go. And like I said, you have to pay to play in these kinds of areas, and some of the menu items was different than the next place and cooked well with some effort put into the menu.

Just please to the people working there, "don't be so snotty!" I know it is Port Carling but eventually you will spread your wings and leave there. ! No one is better than the other when it comes to service, and treat your guests like they are paying for you to go to school,.... and for the waitress that was having a good laugh and talk with her two women friends at a table, I would fire you first for laughing with them about other customers.

And before anyone says "why didn't you complain?" it is because one of the wives would have absolutely freaked if she saw the foot long dark hair in her husbands French fries so we thought it was best to hide it and enjoy the rest of the day.

There were a couple of good guys working there. They are the guys holding the place together so keep up the good work.

1  Thank Rockiroads

Reviewed August 3, 2013

From the poor and very slow service ( we actually had to ask for plates for the fajitas??!! ) to an over priced menu..the novelty of eating near the water does not outweigh the tasteless food and minimal portions that are offered..

1  Thank tommyboy2844
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Seated fairly quickly but to dirty table. Wait staff slow in coming during whole visit, unable to wave them down. Nice atmosphere, open to the outside. Meals took an unreasonable length of time to arrive. The server did not come to tell us why, or apologize when it finally did come. Food was fine when it came. Was a Friday lunch, so wouldn't like to see it on a weekend.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had dinner at Turtle Jackson my last night in Muskoka, and I must say that I was really impressed by the very, very friendly staff. Very attentive and curteous. The restaurant is very clean, I really liked the decor as well, typical of a wilderness setting. I ordered the bassa fish tacos, and the guacamole and mango salsa really gave the tacos a lot of flavor, and the salad was very colorful with julienned beets. It was very good with the balsamic vinegar dressing. Although I couldn't get a spot on the outdoor terrace, the views are very nice. All in all a great dining experience!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went for lunch on our holidays. Ate in the bar, service was excellent. We had the burgers that our waitress recommended, they were excellent! Beer was nice and cold on a very, very hot day. Will definitely go back when we are in town.