“Clean, quiet and pleasant stopover”
Review of Crestwood Inn

Crestwood Inn
Crestwood Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This week I stayed two nights at The Crestwood Inn, Port Carling, Muskoka, ON and would do so again, as my needs are simple. On booking by phone, I requested the least expensive room. It turned out to be the end double-room of the Belmont Terrace section, the only room in that wing with a true view. The small suite itself was absolutely spotless and fresh. The fridge chilled quicky, the tv system worked perfectly, the free wifi likewise, and all the linen supplied was bright-white clean and fluffy. There was one spare pillow (thus 5 good ones in all) and one blanket -- more available on request.

My neighbours, many of them staying to work construction at Port Carling's bridge area, were quiet, early to bed and early to rise. Complimentary breakfast was standard cereal, muffins, croissants and good coffee or tea, with prepackaged condiments. Here comes my only complaint: the fresh fruit on offer was pitiful -- one wrinkled apple and two overripe bananas. No excuse, even toward the end of the breakfast 4-hr timespan because there is a Foodland -- with a great produce section -- just one minute up the road.

The place was perfect for my requirements: unpretentious, immaculate and pleasant. The low-key and courteous owner/manager is unintrusive yet right there whenever needed. I recommend this spot to anyone else whose values and budget match my own: it fits the bill very nicely. In a way, I wish I could take the Crestwood Inn with me on my travels around North America!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Merrikate

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Although I did not stay at the Crestwood Motel, we had guests from our wedding stay there and really enjoyed it! We also had a great experience working with James to set up the room block. Rooms and clean and very reasonably priced! A great option in the Port Carling area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CarpeDiem020
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Crestwood this week for two nights and it was exactly what I hoped for - it was inexpensive, clean and the manager was really accomodating. Considering there had been some bad reviews, I questioned him about the cleanliness and he said that everything had been taken care of. From what I could see, it was cleaner than most hotels/motels. I'd stay there again any time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tricia W
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our 3rd or 4th time staying at this hotel. We like it. It's clean and a bit more reasonably priced than some accommodations in the area. However, this time I happened to be there when the person in front of me was being checked in. They were last minute arrivals, so management (loudly and in front of me), gave them a discount on their room, because it would otherwise be empty. He indicated that it was nice to help the pocketbook. When it was our turn to register, I inquired if a discount was available. The response was "No." Why? Apparently our information was already in the computer, so we couldn't get a discount. Does this make sense? No. I guess this hotel doesn't need our business! We're happy to go elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank AngCW
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have spent one night in room 3 of the motel. In the night we woke up and discovered lots of bed bugs - some very small but also some quite sizeable. We called reception and were immediately given another room and a 40% discount the next day (taking into account tax paid).
So, management responded quickly, but I am not sure that the problem has not been around before given the size and the number of bugs. And at the prices they charge for quite basic motel rooms you would not expect something like this to ever happen.

PS: I just hope for the benefit of any future guests that a pest-control company has taken care of the issue. Observing the room the next morning, it did not appear to be closed for future guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank HenWup
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Spent a night in the motel which was more on par with a hotel. Clean, bright, two queen beds, flat screen TV... friends stayed in a double cabin with adjoining rooms which worked out for them, as they both had small children. Nice continental breakfast in the morning and the operators were very pleasant. Given it's in the middle of the Muskokas it could have been a lot more expensive, but found it very reasonable. I'd return and suggest staying to anyone!

Room Tip: The restaurant wasn't open and there are few places to eat in Port Carling, so you might want to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KnowAboutTravel
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed here one night over Thanksgiving. The room was expensive for a glorified motel; however it was a good size and had been recently renovated. The bed was very comfortable. A continental breakfast was included which was basic but adequate for a morning start.

On the negative side, many of the rooms are very close to the highway so there is significant traffic noise. Also the soundproofing between the units is weak. Sometimes it seemed as if the family next door was right in our room!

I slept well with earplugs... but I'd say they are a necessity here if noise bothers you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
No photo provided
Duff's Cottages
#2 of 2 in Port Carling

Been to Crestwood Inn? Share your experiences!