“Good entertainment”

Herongate Barn Theatre
Ranked #4 of 22 things to do in Pickering
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Was an interesting evening - fairly good food (for eating in an animal stall in a barn) and the play was quite good.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Family Celebrations took us to Herongate Barn and we really had a good time. Our group ranged in age from 25 to 65. We were not sure what to expect: Turns out the show was literally LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY! Everyone our group was laughing. It takes a lot to get me to laugh like that but the actors maintained a funny and fluid banter which made it all even more hilarious. The "Chris" character in particular did a superb job at keeping me laughing. Definitely my family will be back!

Some additional notes to help you decide:
1. If you have gotten/ thinking about getting the groupon deal it only covers the show itself. You will have to pay for dinner when you make your reservation. If you don't want to eat there you can just go in for the show and no you won't stand out. With a family of people with food restrictions and allergies we were all happy to skip the meal and just go in for the show.
2. SPOILER ALERT: There is adult content of a sexual nature in the show. (Just in case you are thinking about going with people who might be a little squeamish about such topics).
3. The dining room is down stairs and the theatre itself is up a steep flight of stairs. (I didn't see a ramp or an elevator to get upstairs but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. If someone in your group has mobility issues I would call the theatre to see what they have in place for them.)
4. The staff was extremely friendly. Everyone made us feel welcome.
5. Remember this theatre is literally in a barn so there is no need for a tux. Business casual should be just fine.

Happy theatre going!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

They present a great buffet, great service - in the cow stalls of an old dairy barn. If you understand the word "family", you can relate to the warmth of the whole venue experience. Upstairs is a comfortable theater, big stage, and enthusiastic actors - not necessarily a hearty endorsement. We saw "Who Maid Who?", which has a credible and funny premise, but they were a few Tiffany packages short of Broadway; I thought one character carried seven others, acting his [--] off, delivering the pure farce of the writing. But the Barn is fantastic, must go for another show.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Herongate Barn Theatre last night and had a great time! This was my second time there, my husbands first. Everything was as good as I remembered from many years ago and I'm happy we chose to celebrate our anniversary here. Dinner was very good! Buffet style with homemade soup and a salad bar with fresh greens and home-style prepared salads. The main course included roast beef, chicken marsala, spicy sausage and peppers and sides of roasted potatoes and curried carrots and peas. You could try all or one and have as much as you'd like. There were many choices for dessert, cakes, pecan pie, apple crumble etc. Coffee and tea were complimentary. They have a full service pay bar and a decent wine list. We chose a bottle of Ontario Riesling, it was good.
Dinner entertainment is piano music provided by a sweet elderly woman named Thelma and singing and jokes by a gentleman whose name we didn't get.
The show was called Who Maid Who and was hilarious! We loved Chris Cole and the rest of the cast were very good.
I can't imagine anyone not enjoying a night out here.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This theatre sits in the midst of rolling farmland (maybe enjoy while we still can), and you could not ask for a better Friday evening setting following a harried work week.

As it has been reviewed several times before, I will give my own personal opinion.

We entered and were seated immediately. The entertainment was piano music on a truly vintage piano. The sound of that piano and the music she was playing cannot be recreated on today's digital pianos. It was most enjoyable. Unfortunately this part of the night was really ruined for me as a man then got up and sang. He obviously has a theatre background as his voice was very broadway. Where it went downhill was when he began telling "jokes". I found them very old fashioned and while not offensive were just in poor taste. Jokes about men complaining about their tv being dusty?? Really? A joke about priests and bikini clad girls?? Yuck. I finally escaped to the bathroom just to get away from him.

The salad bar is very small, and we encountered no lines for that. I was able to enjoy a lovely salad as the fixings were fresh. It does appear to me that Pickering has different food serving regulations than other places, as the salad bar was simply a table with the bowls on top. The main course options included roast beef, chicken and ham; mashed sweet potatoes, scalloped potatoes and green beans. While none were "extraordinary", I did find them hot and tasty. The deserts were assorted baked items, and I would question whether they were actually homemade as they appear very similar to items you get at Costco. That said again, it was pleasant. I would have really liked some fruit instead, tho none was offered. Tea and coffee were available as is a cash bar.

On to the play. There is something special about the intimate setting of theatre in an old barn. Be warned - some people in our party were quite uncomfortable in the seats. They are small and low. I am on the short side, so for me they were perfect. You feel very connected to the stage and I really enjoyed that.

I found the actors to be very good, of the same caliber that I have seen at other small theatre venues. Staying on stage following the bows to tell us the "Leafs won" really added - and made me feel much more connected to them!

I would recommend this, although I would highly suggest you find a way to escape before that man gets up and tells his jokes. Maybe a stroll outside would be a good idea.