“A little gem!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Pickering
Description: Tea House in Fisherman's Village in Pickering, Ontario
Description: Tea House in Fisherman's Village in Pickering, Ontario
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Hy is a whirlwind of energy. The tea room is small & it can be quite noisy. We stopped here while visiting from England. The selection of tea is amazing & the food is also good. Service is slow but if you have time to sit, relax & take in the atmosphere then this place is for you. If you want a quiet cuppa, then this place probably isn't for you! Hy, your fantastic!

1  Thank Curlypops1980

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had been looking forward to visiting this little tea spot, as it sounded quaint and the location is fabulous, right on Frenchman's Bay. Was totally let down...

While I can forgive the tiny chip in my tea cup, what my friend and I found annoying is that the owner was sitting at a nearby table with a few friends, and this group was so noisy in their conversation that my friend and I had difficulty hearing each other speak - we had specifically gone a tea shop to catch up and enjoy a quiet conversation on a Sunday afternoon.

Even after noticing their own noise level and apologizing to us, this table's conversation continued at this level for the duration of our visit. While I love to see friends having a good time over conversation, we were the only other clients in the tea room and our conversation didn't stand a chance.

The tea biscuits were just OK - nothing you couldn't get in a grocery store - plain, no raisins or currants. The tea room itself had a bit of a musty aroma (not from being near the water, smelled more "old food" related). Not trying to be nasty, just pointing out our experience.

Overall, just not impressed. Glad I didn't splurge for the full tea, as I'm certain I would have been let down in a bigger way.

3  Thank pjwcanada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went to Hy-Tea yesterday for lunch while touring around the Frenchman's Bay Area. I was totally unprepared for the warm Jamaican welcome and I totally enjoyed our hostess! I ordered a Crab melt on a ciabatti bun and it was quite tasty. My friend ordered a Bean Dumpling soup and it was delicious as well as the Crab Melt. The teas were wonderful, I ordered a Premium Earl Gray and she ordered the Jamaican Rum tea. We totally enjoyed the entire experience! Bleak, dreary type of winter day and a great big ray of sunshine once we opened the door of that shop...Different? Yes. Your run-of-the-mill English tea house? No.

I applaud the difference - so will you* Light hearted banter made for the cozy feel and so added to the ambiance.

1  Thank Julia S
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Food was tasty but, the wait was long.
Need to be on Jamaican time.
Try a sandwich on a ciabachi bun.

1  Thank apples372
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I took my friend to Hy Tea for her Birthday, we had a Living Social voucher. The service was very friendly and helpful regarding diferent kinds of tea. The sandwiches were very fresh and delicious, the scones were amazing (I wish I could make them as good) The cakes were yummy and the fruit was lovely. We were made to feel so welcome and will definitely be going back. Thanks Hy Tea.

1  Thank Beryl V

Been to Hy-Tea? Share your experiences!