“Ok, but didn't wow me. Subpar service compared to others.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Makimono

Makimono
Reserve with OpenTable
Makimono is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 204 Restaurants in Pickering
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Courtice, Canada
“Ok, but didn't wow me. Subpar service compared to others.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

If there's one thing that infuriates me about restaurant dining, it's watching people that came in after you get served before you – and that pretty much sums up my visit to Makimono. I showed up in my blue-collar work clothing looking for an interesting and different lunch experience, but instead watched at least two other tables who had patrons dressed in business suits receive service that was far better than what I received, and both had their main food orders arriving at their table before my appetizers even arrived, despite arriving and being seated after myself. Multiple waitresses actually passed by my waitong order sheet countless times, all while doting on the business patrons constantly.

The food was decent but IMHO didn't seem as "crisp and fresh" as one of my other favorite sushi restaurants. A standout, however, was the peppered beef - an excellent quality cut or meat, cooked and seasoned to perfection.

The atmosphere is very upscale - to the point where a casual diner may seen underdressed or feel uncomfortable. It's also very darkly lit, which adds to the mood, but (IMHO) is a negative overall.

Pricing was reasonable, however I can't honestly say that I will rush back.

• Visited August 2013

Canada
“Great Japanese experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I had dinner in this restaurant. The food is great and looked so fresh. Loved the ambience and the service was good.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Good selection of menu and atmosphere is quite nice. It's got a wonderful all you can eat menu with a wonderful selection of sushi.

Visited May 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Japanese Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went here for lunch with a group of friends this afternoon. The food came out piping hot and delicious. The sushi was melt-in-your-mouth good! The servers were fast with our orders as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Just be aware that they only accept Visa or cash....no debit.

• Visited March 2013
Rayong, Thailand
“Favourite Sushi Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is our favourite restaurant by far. The food is delicious. We've been there over 10 times and had bad service only once (so we're considering it just a bad day for the wait staff). Otherwise, we expect and receive great and attentive service.
We find the dinner price a little expensive and so often go for lunch (its the same menu - just missing the sashimi and a few special sushi).
We loved using our $5 off coupons from Entertainment.com.

• Visited October 2012