“What a find!”

The Hungry 7
Ranked #3 of 62 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a family run modern diner on Hwy 7 in Perth, Ontario. Come and enjoy one of our Hungry 7 cheeseburgers, fresh hot chicken sandwiches, or a delicious pasta and a glass of wine! Kids menu available. We are open Tuesday to Sunday, 11 am to 8pm.
Ottawa, Canada
“What a find!”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

While on Hwy 7 from Peterbourgh in a rain storm on a motorcycle we decided to stop for lunch. The hungry 7 was a delightful option nestled amongst many fast food restaurants. The daily soup ( cream of bacon mushroom leek and potatoes ) was lick the bottom of the bowl good. My sandwich was on delicious sourdough bread and my husbands burger and fries was definitely a cut above average.. Don't forget to stop there.

Visited August 2014

Smiths falls
“Sensational food!!!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

The food is absolutely delicious and tasty. I had the poutine which I thought was tasteful. The staff were very kind and the chef came around and talked to us. Our waitress Cheryl was the best waitress we have had so far and also same with the food. We will defiantly be coming back soon

Ottawa
“Not your ordinary (nor your parents') roadside "diner"!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

To mirror a parody of a wine review in the New Yorker a few decades back, "this is an interesting little highway diner...not particularly inviting from the outside...but we were amused by its pretentiousness".

Actually, once inside and well-met by our maitresse d', we at first thought the Hungry 7's menu a bit 'pricey' and considered departing (as did one couple who arrived shortly after us). But we were hungry (and not for the neighbouring fast food fare -- 3 chains within 100m) after our long drive, so we enquired about the two chalkboard specials and some of the other menu items.

We had the chicken pot pie (still bubbling-hot from the oven in its large ramekin-style bowl) and the perogies (pedohy). The chef (not a short-order cook-- David described his culinary pedigree going back many years in a number of much larger Canadian cities) added a deliciously dressed and prepared fresh salad to the pot pie (to allow it to cool somewhat while the salad was being consumed).
Both meals were 'salt sensible'...a good thing compared to the NaCl-laced fast food around the Hungry 7.

The pot pie was loaded with tender well-trimmed white meat pieces of chicken...a prepared (?not canned?) gravy, lots of veggies and topped with a flaky puff pastry crust...altogether quite enjoyable (and filling). The 8 perogies were chef-made (not frozen store-bought)...came with sour cream and a nice onion gravy...but were thought to be a 'bit too bland' (but then, none can compare to Alycia's perogies in Winnipeg's north end).

Our service was attentive...and knowledgeable...and in what other dining establishments does the chef (one of the two owners) come out of his lair to converse with his customers? Overall, an enjoyable meal that hit the spot when it needed hitting...even if bit pricey by roadside diner standards.

Prospective diners need to be prepared for most of the entrées priced upwards from $11...and without any wine (yes the 7 is LCBO-licensed), our meal with tip and tax came to just under $35...more pricey than one would normally expect to pay at a roadside diner, but then the Hungry 7 is not your "ordinary diner".

While the chef, server and food were all above average, it is not the restaurant ambiance one would seek if one were wanting a 'romantic evening meal out with one's partner-in-life'.

I would however like to try their greek salad sometime...as that is one of my litmus tests for assessing the mettle of a good restaurant...irrespective of the ambiance (or lack thereof).

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Toby S
Ottawa, Canada
“Finally great food in Perth”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

So my wife and I finally decided to give this place a try. I was pleasantly surprised. My wife had the burger with cheese and bacon and fries. I had the daily special a beef tenderloin with saute mushrooms and leeks. I had the soup du jour tomato and chicken. My soup was hot and delicious all through the meal. My "burger" was awesome, juicy and char grilled perfectly with full of flavor from the bbq with the mushrooms and the leeks. Some of you know I have worked in the industry for 30 years so believe me when I say I was happy to pay $14.50 for my lunch. I did try a bite of my wife's burger and i was instantly flashed back in time to my Grandfather's back yard bbq. Delicious and juicy as well with a great taste of obviously home made fries. Small place with reall home cooked quality food. Knowing the industry, and the cost of food for restaurants I am and all ways will be OK with an $11.00 burgers and $14.50 tenderloin burgers at the Hungry 7. I hope you will give this place a try as it deserves your patronage. Husband and wife team does it right for a change. No more greasy crap food from frozen, just quality deliciousness.

Almonte, Canada
“Surprising Find in Perth”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We have been to the Hungry 7 twice now and wish we lived in Perth so we could go more often. It's a small restaurant and from the surroundings you would think it was just another fast food joint but it is so far from that.

You can tell the food is made with love. The service is great, the chef likes to chat and the kitchen is wide open which I absolutely love. Their soups are fabulous...we had the chicken, mushroom today and wished I had room for a second bowl. We tried the BBQ chicken sandwich on a ciabatta which was moist and very tasty. We split the sandwich so we could have room for some pie. Make sure you always save room for pie because it is terrific. We tried the cherry pie and blueberry pie and both received a big thumbs up. They are tart and the crust nice and flaky. Our friend took home some almond squares and they were huge!

The Hungry 7 is a great new addition to Perth and we wish them huge success which I am sure will come very easily with their high quality offerings,

• Visited August 2014