“What a gem is right!”

The Hungry 7
Ranked #4 of 64 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a family run modern diner on Hwy 7 in Perth, Ontario. Come and enjoy one of our Hungry 7 cheeseburgers, fresh hot chicken sandwiches, or a delicious pasta and a glass of wine! Kids menu available. We are open Tuesday to Sunday, 11 am to 8pm.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Don't under-estimate the Hungry 7 because of its Plain Jane looks - because it is not! We almost did just that but it was highly recommended by fellow guests where we were staying. We needed to get on the road so had burgers and fries - but the burgers were great and the fries were excellent frites. Homemade chocolate pate with raspberries and homemade blueberry pie for dessert. Friendly staff and the chef/owner came out to speak with everyone. If you have the time, our fellow guest declared the roast chicken to be the best he'd had - takes about 20 minutes because they cook it when ordered. If we lived in the area we would definitely be going again.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

What a gem. Best home cooked meal I have had in ages. The service and atmosphere was great. Appreciated the fact that (David) spent a few minutes talking to us. We are both Bruins fans. Had lunch there and returned for dinner as food was excellent.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I stopped by The Hungry 7 on our way home. We were hungry and wanted something good, but without the wait. Diners are usually perfect for that - and we found the perfect diner!

Walking in the place has a nice relaxed atmosphere. We were greeted immediately by the server and got a table by the window. We asked for decaf coffee as it was later in the day and the server replied with a smile "I just put a fresh pot on". We sat and perused the menu and after chatting with the server again we decided to each go with the specials. I got the chicken sandwich with soup and my husband went for the pasta.

Best chicken sandwich I have ever had. Moist, tender grilled chicken (and a generous portion of it!) perfectly seasoned and topped with home-made coleslaw and Sriracha infused mayo all on a toasty baguette. The mayo had a peppery bite, but wasn't too hot. The soup ... I would drive all the way to Perth from Belleville just for that soup. Creamy yellow zucchini - hearty, rich, and buttery. It was so good that after tasting mine my husband ordered a full bowl for himself too!

My husband had a chicken & asparagus pasta in a light rose sauce. Delicious! The pasta was perfect and the asparagus was just right - tender & crisp. Everything was seasoned beautifully and neither one of us even thought of reaching for the salt or pepper.

Sadly I had no room for desert (on offer was kiwi pie, mango pie with blackberry glaze, chocolate brownies, and the tallest apple pie I have ever seen). My husband indulged with a piece of kiwi pie (I had a couple of bites). Amazing. Graham crumb crust, rich - but not too sweet - vanilla custard-y filling, prettily topped with slices of fresh kiwi. The contrast of the creamy custard filling and the sweet-tart of the kiwi was unlike anything I've tried.

Excellent service and we had a great chat with both the server and the chef/owner. Very friendly, very down to earth, and very talented in the kitchen! We will definitely be going back and trying some of the other menu items. If you are anywhere within driving distance of Perth I enthusiastically recommend this gourmet diner.

To top off a great meal, the bill was a pleasant surprise too: Two specials, an extra full bowl of the heavenly soup, endless refills of coffee, and desert - $45 taxes in. The restaurant is licensed as well, so next time I will be indulging in a glass of wine or two with dinner - at those prices it's an easily affordable splurge!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just returned from our first meal at The Hungry 7 and it won't be our last visit! From the word 'go' it was very good. The server was super friendly & very knowledgeable about the menu & evening specials. Certainly the right sort of person to have dealing with the public. I had the grilled chicken burger but instead of the fries, subbed in a cup of one of the soups of the day, turkey noodle. My selection also came with a side of coleslaw. My husband had one of the specials, which was fried chicken in a baguette with coleslaw & sriracha mayo, as well as fries. Fries are hand-cut on the premises & arrived piping hot. Everything was absolutely delicious & filling. Good sized portions. We declined dessert but we did see one of the items offered, a deep dish apple pie - it looked really good and was homemade. Nice décor and very clean. The only suggestion is that maybe turn the music down a tad - although we enjoyed the music selections, the acoustics are not the best when the volume is turned up! Other than that, a very nice meal and we look forward to going back. We'll bring friends next time!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

The 18th of May 2014 we went to this cozy modern diner restaurant for supper. We were wonderfully surprised by the excellent quality of the food and the service. The friendly and experienced chef prepared us a feast and came by to chat with us. If you enjoy home cooked meals you have to stop at Hungry 7 in Perth, you won't be disappointed. The menu offered a good variety and they also had specials of the day. I ordered a chicken and shrimp pasta dish, my husband had meatloaf and my friend tried the lasagna. Everything was cooked to perfection. We also tried the wild mushroom soup and the chicken coconut and ginger soup yummy. The portions where generous. Even though we were full we had to taste the homemade pies: wow pecan chocolate pie and mango pie. We rate this restaurant a 5 star. Do not miss this opportunity while going through Perth. Thank you Aaron for the great service and congratulations to the owner and Chef Dave.

1  Thank j0j0777