“Wonderful Meal - Relaxing Atmosphere”

Black Birch Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 121 Restaurants in Orangeville
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I just had a wonderful evening at the Black Birch restaurant. We were so pleasantly surprised when we entered the restaurant and shown to our table by a very friendly waitress. We started with nice bottle of wine while we listened to very relaxing music and enjoyed the views of nature through the large windows. The chef was just finishing the evening's menu. We started with a great melon and prosciutto. For our meals, I had all you could eat mussels offered in three choices of sauce, while my wife had the stuffed pork tenderloin with apple and cheddar. The mussels came with homemade french fries - the best I've ever eaten! For dessert there was a large selection of homemade delicacies. By the time we knew it - we had spent two a very relaxing two hours. The bill was also a pleasant surprise. All and all - I would highly recommend the Black Birch restaurant. Its a hidden gem.

2  Thank John H

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were a party of three midweek and being new to the area, this was our first visit. The front entry comes across as abit shoddy and in need of a spruce up. The main dining rea, however, was pleasant. Our server was cheerful and prompt. Our table ordered 3 appetizers (duck pate, escarot in cream and garlic and mussels). The duck pate was fine yet the accompanying onion marmalate rather uninspiring. Would have been nice to have some gherkins or olives. The escargot was tender yet the cream sauce they were served in was tepid and quickly went to cold. The mussels (granted out of season) were nice but the sauce abit lacking in flavour). Our mains of steak, tuna and rack of lamb were all tasty and well presented. Dessert, however, not very good. The mousse cake was more of a regular chocolate cake (no light mousse!) and STALE. The lemon tart was just ok and its crust had a stale taste to it and the lemon filling was soso. Their inhouse coffee icecream was good. All in all, a nice evening with friends, food and wine. We will be back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been to this restaurant a few times now and it never fails to impress. The menu has good variety and includes many original options. The delicious prime rib special on Sundays is an economical option. (The only improvement to my meal would have been a sharper knife) And the dessert made in house; especially the carrot cake is SO good!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I frequent The Black Birch often. We are always sure to find something on the weekly changing menus that fits our fancy. Whether for brunch, dinner or some time in between, we always leave satisfied that our meal has been of good quality and value. I must admit, from time to time I have had a cut of meat that has not been quite cooked to my liking, but our servers have graciously and quickly dealt with the issue to meet my needs. Yes, the place could certainly do with a bit of a sprucing up, but the food is very good.

My husband and I frequent many of the restaurants in the area and The Black Birch is hands down near the top of our favourites. We have always found it to be friendly, quaint, and good value. And if you do stop in, make the fish and chips your first try!

1  Thank LoveThisLife07
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We live in the area and have been going to this restaurant over the years. We went for lunch on a Tuesday and found we had to wait awhile for a table even thought there were lots available and only three were occupied. We ordered the carrot soup which was very land and not seasoned at all. We had a hard time getting the waiter's attention so we had to get the salt and pepper ourselves.
My main concern was how dirty the place has become. The chairs were covered in dust, the walls and windows need cleaning and the floor was a mess. The waiter seemed to be in a bad mood and simply dropped over food off at the table. We won't be going there anymore or recommending it to our friends.