“Wow!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We had a fabulous lunch at the Black Birch Restaurant in the Hockley Valley area. It's a cottage-style restaurant with a natural ambience. You can watch the several species of birds outside the windows eating from the many feeders while you dine. The food is very good and is really tasty. Prices are excellent. Caesar salad is very good! Menu changes each day but everything is homemade including the chutneys and desserts…Yummy!!! It is not fine dining but the food quality is. This is a casual restaurant in an intimate and cozy setting. Enjoy, we did!

Reviewed October 22, 2011

Nice drive on hockley road. Rustic atmosphere with decent service. The food was pretty good. Loved some thing and thought others were fine.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant based solely on Tripadvisor reviews, and we can honestly say we weren't disappointed in any way. The decor provides a peaceful ambiance and we really enjoyed our window table, watching the various birds having their dinner at the birdfeeder and sunflowers. We decided to arrive early to take advantage of the "Early Birch" special for $25/person, which consisted of an appetizer (salad or soup), entree, and dessert. I had the soup (cream of mushroom served in a mini soup terrine) and my husband had the caesar salad; both dishes were excellent). We were also given a generous basket of freshly baked bread which was very good.....don't eat too much, though, or you won't make it through dinner! Our entrees arrived after we had finished our appetizers (which was nice...I hate being rushed) and again, everything was perfect; flavourful, cooked to perfection, a nice selection of seasonal veggies. When it was time to make our dessert selection, that was a tough one because everything sounded so tasty. We enjoyed a lemon torte and white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, all baked right there. Delicious! And to round off the meal, we were served coffee roasted by The Hockley Valley Roasting Co. Thank you to The Black Birch, both front and back of house, for giving my husband and I a memorable 25th anniversary dinner! We'll be back soon!

1  Thank Covachick
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The last two visited I have taken advantage of their early bird special which is from 5-6p. For $25 you get a three course meal from a set menu and it is always wonderful. This little charming place is Hockley is a must!

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I have dined at this restaurant a couple of times and actually signed up to Trip Advisor this evening, just so I could rate Black Birch!
A comfortable, relaxed atmosphere in along the Hockley Road with excellent, personal service, appealing menu and delicious meals. We enjoyed a great meal with "foodie" friends from out of town this winter and each one of us rated the food and the experience 10/10.
The highlight for me was a three-man jazz band, which regularly plays there. George Grosman and two others (Abbey on upright bass).
The service was excellent and the chef/owner, Mark, was kind enough to take the time to speak with us on our way out. Though the decor is nothing spectacular, it's clean, warm, and inviting - and the outside scenery is beautiful.
We were told that the Mardis Gras monthly brunch is a must try.