“Just returned” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lumina Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Muskoka District
Lumina Resort
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Huntsville, Canada
“Just returned”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at Lumina Resort. This holiday destination is well known to us, a great spot for families. Lake of Bays is the most beautiful lake in Muskoka, Ontario. The meals are very good, the price is very reasonable, staff are friendly and helpful. These are consistent quality features that we find year after year. Our children gave us our recent time away as a 40th Wedding Anniversary gift- our family has many fond memories of time together at Lumina -so they joined us for meals in the evenings and swims, walks during the day. The owners continue to invest in the property with upgrades, maintainance, and renewal of the cottages and surroundings. It is always a great pleasure to return. Look into booking at Lumina- I hope you find it the relaxed getaway we do. A K& PK

Room Tip: There is a wide selection of location of cottages to choose from.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anna-Lise K

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dwight, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Food was average! Cold beef, cold this, cold that! Accommodations were "rustic" to be generous. Maid service? What maid service? Doors don't lock. No security. Bunch of drunks running around late at night making noise. No security. Games room is a joke. Everything is broken. Kids running around without supervision. We couldn't wait to get out! Beach is 20 yards or sand. Canoes are the old wood kind and very tippy. Thanks for that!
Will never go again. Shower water smells like a marsh...no kidding.
Camp staff had a great time at night. We could hear them all night partying.
Never again. Dreadful experience. But beautiful scenery...that's about all I can say positively.
Avoid this place! Oh, and no air conditioning.

Room Tip: Avoid it all together!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Bill G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Myself, my girlfriend, my friend and his wife were lucky enoug to be invited to our Canadian friends' wedding on June 9th 2012. We flew into toronto from gatwick. After a week or so touring around we landed at Lumina Resort. Immediately you can see the beautiful lake of bays and the well kept grounds and the well maintained cabins. Lucy is the proprietor and she couldn't have been more helpful, thoughtful or pleasant. They arranged a welcome BBQ for the guests, excellently cooked by Sean the chef, the a bonfire on the beach and then an excellent wedding day dinner. We had so much fun at lumina, kayaking, swimming, paddling; we will return. I would highly recommend lumina resort as a stop off for any foreign tourers.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank SteveLeethomas
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here during Thanks Giving weekend in Oct. 2011. Beautifull location. Very friendly staff. Cottages were cozy. Food was not gourmet but sumptuous. Since the place is called Resort Lumina, I expected all the cottages to have atleast a coffee maker and cups in the kitchen. All it had was a fridge. Not even a hair dryer. Breakfast and dinner were included. No lunch was available in the restaurant to purchase. Hardly any food available in the area.

Room Tip: It will be helpful to check if the kitchens have any aplliances.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank RMOntario
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed here for the last week of August with my husband and three children aged 9, 6 and 3 years. I originally chose Lumina as it was in a quiet location only 3 hours from Toronto and seemed to offer a lot of kids activities as well as a half board package. I can honestly say it was one of the best family holidays we've ever had!

The cabins are located on the beautiful Lake of Bays and we stayed in one close to the waters edge. They are fairly basic with no TV and only a sink/small fridge but the beds were comfortable and it had a great shower. Rather than staring at a TV my kids were up and out early on the lakeshore fishing and playing in the surprisingly warm water. There are canoes, kayaks, sailboats and pedalboats which can all be hired out by the hour and a slide and trampoline in the lake which my kids loved. The water was beautifully clear and lovely to swim in as it was so warm.

There were organised activities all week headed up by a fantastic team who really seemed to be enjoying themselves too! My kids went to the Petticoat Junction club in the morning/afternoons for two hours and they loved the two staff members who ran this. One of the highlights was Capture the Flag in the evening when the kids divided into teams and had to hunt each others flag whilst avoiding getting caught. There were also adult organised activities such as Tennis, Croquet, Pingpong etc and evening entertainment from a live band and campfire singing. At the end of the week they presented each child with a personalised certificate which made them feel very special and some people won the Lumina mugs for outstanding achievement! (My son won for catching the most fish in a week - 65!).

The food was varied and plentiful and we enjoyed eating steak, salmon and the gorgeous puddings. What made it really special for us though as the only family staying from the UK was the extremely warm welcome we got from the Canadians at Lumina, including the lovely family who own and run the resort. Many families return year on year and have made firm friendships with each other. By the end of the week it really felt like you were part of a large family group and we were very sad to leave. We don't normally go to the same place on holiday twice but we have already booked again for the next year and look forward to meeting up with all our new friends then.

If you like good old fashioned fun (think Swallows and Amazons, Enid Blyton) and want to enjoy the company of the friendly canadians, then Lumina will not disappoint. I couldn't recommend it highly enough!!!!

Room Tip: 3 bedroom cabin
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank louise b
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have been going to Lumina resort my entire life. Even though my teenage years, where it seemed nothing could entertain my adolescent attitude, I looked forward to vacationing on the lake of bays every summer.
As a child, I recall Petticoat. For a few hours every day my parents got a break to do as they pleased, as my sisters and I made crafts, learned songs, played games, and heard stories. It was also a great way to make friends with other children visiting the resort. Lumina always has great Petticoat leaders. The children just adore them; always sitting on their laps, waving at them in the dining room, or dragging along their ankles when the week is over and it’s time for goodbyes!
Returning as a teenager never seemed like a lame family holiday. With all the returning friends I had made in years previous, the activities and fun seemed endless. Tubing became a sport to us. Lounging in the sun never seemed so relaxing – with the waves licking the shores and the breeze coming off the bay. I learned how to wakeboard at Lumina; the staff spent countless YEARS helping me stand up on the wake, and never grew tired of my mistakes. Movies in the TV room, playing cards on the deck, eating junk food in the beautifully preserved cabins. All great memories. Every night we would sneak to Frosties – the on-resort convenience store – and get a little something sweet to enjoy.
As a young adult, I can’t say I’ve ever had such a great time. The lake of bays club always promises something fun. Wine and Cheese night starts everyone off at the beginning of the week to meet new guests and reconcile with old friends. Poker, pool, and darts allow for good fun with fellow vacation-goers. Live entertainment is my family’s personal favourite. Tobin – the artist that has been recruited for the past few years – is amazing, and keeps the audience dancing, drinking, and having fun. Karaoke night is the night to let loose and show all your new and old friends your talent. Of course, the beach, water activities, sports, tournaments, and excursions are just as much fun in adulthood as they were in childhood.
The chef, Shawn, makes some of the best dishes I’ve ever tasted. Whether it’s a classic Caesar salad, or a new recipe, Shawn always promises taste and quality. One of the best benefits to Lumina is the food is included in the price. For your vacation period, you do not have to cook once (this is a great thing for mothers!).
The staff are some of the most sociable, and helpful individuals. Tec and Vicky (the owners) can always be found if something needs to be done, or assisted with. The owner’s two sons are great kids! Both have been raised at the resort and know how the job is done. The youngest joined a tournament just so I would have someone to play crocket against (no one else signed up). The eldest may be in competition with his dad for the handiest man. He also made me a bracelet near the end of my stay! Both sons are very polite and well raised. The waitresses, maintenance, kitchen staff, housekeepers, and the rest of the staff (no matter what their job) will never hesitate to drop what they`re doing to assist you. And they remember your name, even after a year has passed! They make the vacation seem so personal. Even with staff members, I have made lifetime friends and memories!
Lumina is my favourite place to vacation. I have been to the Caribbean, the southern US, and many places throughout Canada, and have yet to find a place as PERSONAL, inviting, relaxing, fun, and easy place to visit. There has never been a dull moment throughout my years there, and will bring my own children one day! The friend I’ve made, and the friends I will continue to make, will be forever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Sara D
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I experienced Lumina in the 1980's and always said we would return when we had our children.... we did and have been returning year after year for 16 years! Our three daughters have enjoyed all the activities Lumina offers for years, starting with the childrens program - morning and afternoon. I remember the days when they returned from Petticoat and were singing songs that they had learned that day. This program allows mom and dad to do their own thing - like make new freinds, join the tournaments and just relax. We have made great freinds at Lumina from all over Canada and even Ireland. We return to Lumina every year because of the food, freinds and the relaxed atmosphere.
Our cabin has been Peter Pan for 16 years and we love it's location to the beach. It is older but comfortable, the kids have a very large bedroom. (good for our 3 girls)
Some cottages are rustic but that is part of the charm of Lumina, many cabins have been renovated and upgraded over the years. If you don't like rustic just ask for one of those.
NOTE - if you need anything just ask someone at the resort and they will get it for you!!!
The staff is FANTASTIC - the waitresses are very good at their job, housekeeping is good also. The chef, Shawn, is always creating delicious dinners and if you have an idea he is more than happy to give it a try. Cory, the activities director was endlessly running activities for the kids, teens and adults. The office staff and maintenace/boathouse staff are always willing to help.
The night-life at Lumina is great also. Every night there is something going on at the Lake of Bays Club - poker, darts, pool, board games and live entertainment. Movie night if you want some quiet relaxing. I love the fact that the cabins don't have TVs.
My husband and I love the fact that Lumina is a "family run" business. Tec and Vicki are the greatest and the two young boys are always around to give you a hand or a laugh or two. Hopefully they stay around to run the business when they are old enough.
The beach is great - shallow water and lots to do - waterslide, trampoline and climbing mountain if you dare to try it. My girls have enjoyed tubing, water skiing and this year wakeboarding. The staff had to teach them and they were very patient. What a blast!
Our kids, 21, 19 and 13 can't wait to return next year. To me that says something about Lumina..... it is great for all ages. My girls have grown up at Lumina and still want to vacation with us.
We will continue to go to Lumina as long as we can!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family