Rocky Crest Golf Resort
  • Pool
Shamrock Lodge(Port Carling)
Sherwood Inn(Port Carling)
View Hotel
All reviewslake josephsports clubrestaurant staffwater trampolinesmall kitchenettelots of watermaster bedroompaddle boatstennis courtsport carlingbassthis past weekendlounge chairslake viewbeds were very comfortablebreakfast and dinnerhiking trails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I went with my sister and daughter on a Living Social voucher. The price for one night was excellent and included breakfast for two.
I have to say I was concerned about the checkin process. I understand that the resort has just reopened for the season and there were lots of new young staff, but they need to be told not to ask at the desk about how they get their tips, when guests are standing right there. I sensed one more seasoned staff was cringing!
It was rather chaotic with phones going and the poor girl having to each time say her long introductory spiel to whoever was on the phone..talk about a time waster! When you have just driven close to 3 hours, you just want to get into your room to relax. They did let us in before official checkin time which was appreciated.
The room/apartment was quite spacious and we were very happy with the room amenities, including kitchenette and sunroom. very nice. BUT I have to agree with the comments about the decor. Mostly ok, but why are there country bumpkin nic nacs scattered about. The bedroom had a lovely kingsize bed which was very comfortable, in a contemporary style, but then there was this big clunky oak mirror on the wall, totally out of place. This isnt hard to fix.Get rid of the country kitch by the fireplace and on the walls!
Unfortunately we were there when it was chilly and so the use of the boats and swimming in the lake were out of the question. I did soak in the hottub. Kudos to the spa for squeezing my daughter and me in at the end of the day for a 25 minute massage. The girls stayed extra time for us.
We had our bath checked as there was a rust or something coming out of the jets?( not sure where it came from ) and stained the washcloth.The maintanence person came and seemed to fix it.
The restaurant experience for dinner didnt happen at all.We were shown to a couple of places , one of which had a private group using the whole place . After kind of a wild goose chase, we decided to drive into Parry Sound for Swiss chalet!
The breakfast was in the golf club house and I have to say it was the best oatmeal I have ever enjoyed!
I would maybe try to resort again, in warmer weather . There wasnt a lot to do for such a short time.
As well, I was really disappointed there was no gym, which is a given nowadays at resorts I think.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank spidergal
Reviewed May 23, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on Rocky Crest we were not sure what to expect. We are 100% satisfied with our 2 night stay. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful & accommodating . Our suite was really nice, very comfortable king size bed & it was spotless. This resort is beautiful & we will be back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry F, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear ScorpioLeo:

We were very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to your return.

Rocky Crest Resort

Reviewed May 14, 2012

So on Thursday, me and a friend of mine decided to plan a last minute trip for some rest and relaxation, so we decided to go to Rocky Crest...and was it worth every penny!!

The staff were beyond AWESOME, our room was a one bedroom suite, with working fire place, separate living room and bedroom, mini kitchenette and patio with patio furniture that over looked the lake. We went canoeing, hiking and ate all of our meals on site. I highly recommend the restaurant at the golf course...food was so fresh and tasty, we are still taking about it!!

It rained for a bit on Saturday, but not to worry we were able to go to the Spa and then get some moves and board games from the front desk...they think of everything.

If you are looking for a weekend getaway to recharge your batteries then go to Rocky Crest...you deserve it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Somebody, please fix this Property. The Resort has so much potential and it sits on a beautiful piece of land. It has been such a shame to watch it go down the toilet.
There are no illusions that Delta has let this stunning peice of property slowly crumble into the abyss.

Staff are friendly and definately try hard to attend to your needs, but sadley everyone who works there knows what complaints to expect during a days work. Out-of-date- rooms, bad food, and facilities in disrepair... They have been given little support by Delta and the Management.

The simple fact that Rocky Crest has kept its standards to being a world-class golf course, has been the only saving grace to the Resort.

I hope that $$$ and energy gets injected back into the place. So that the employees can have a sense of pride to work there... and I pray that its not a reflection of whats going to happen to an over-saturated Muskoka market in bad economic times.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank MissionMan152

MissionMan152:

Over this past winter, I am happy to tell you that a significant investment has gone into improvements at our property. We listened closely to what our guests were telling us and acted upon it. We have painted ALL of our rooms, replaced the carpet in the rooms in need, replaced furnishings that had reached the end of their lifecycle, renovated our public washrooms in our Dining Room and many other investments around the property.

I am also very happy to announce that we hired a new Executive Chef - Ken Schulz and our feebback through our first month of operation this year has been fantastic on our upgrades and our food!

This is a very exciting year for us and we look forward to you visiting us again in 2012.

Rocky Crest Resort

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've reviewed this property previously and expressed less than positive comments about it. Our reason for visiting was our annual 5 day golf trip. We stay at Rocky Crest strictly for convenience.
We know it's overpriced. We know the rooms need some serious updating. We know the deck chairs on the balconies are $5 Wal-Mart versions. We know the buildings give an impression of general disrepair. We know the food is very expensive.
Despite this.... the location is great and generally the staff are really good so it's a matter of not paying too much attention to the bad and focusing on the good.
Imagine our shock when we checked in and saw the brand new outdoor hot tub. Immediately after golfing we headed over to the hut tub and saw it was full of leaves....so we grabbed the skimmer and cleaned it out. We then hit the "ON" switch and much to our surprise there were no jets. The water was relatively warm so we decided to stay in and relax. A few minutes later one of the staff was trimming some small branches off a nearby tree using what appeared to be scissors (I'm not making this up) and we asked her if she knew why the hot tub wasn't working. She said she didn't know but she'd go notify the "maintenance guy". She left and we laughed amongst ourselves that the odds of the "maintenance guy" actually showing up were zero.
Sure enough about 15 minutes later she wandered by and asked if the maintenance guy" had shown up. We replied "no but thanks for trying."
To us it was more of a funny situation than a problem because our expectations are so low to begin with.
Because of the golf we'll keep coming back year after year but certainly not because of the resort itself.
it really does seem like the place could really be improved with some relatively minor upgrades/changes/repairs.
Case in point....the restaurant should be a showpiece with the great view of Lake Joe yet the layout and general atmosphere of it are maybe a little above a cafeteria. I'm sure an interior designer could come in and for a few grand give the whole dining room a completely different feel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends