“Just okay”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
“Just okay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

this resort is in need of some TLC. The rooms require some updating. Decor is from the 80. The paths and stairs to our room where slippery due to run off from AC. Our deck rail was rotted preesure treated wood.

The only real positives where the staff at resort that were very friendly and restraunts food on property. They get a 4+.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Cjkgo
RockyCrestGM, Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure speaking with you personally today. We truly appreciate feedback from our guests so we may improve our service and facility to ensure a safe and happy stay. I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our food outlets and our kind and helpful staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kristy, Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Would not stay again. Only the living room is air conditioned. Very old and dated. This is in need of a renovation for the price paid!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pbshanahan
RockyCrestGM, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are continually working to improve the product and services that we offer. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Jerry Feltis, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Muskoka District hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed with friends there in a 2-bedroom suite on Jun 12 & 13, we're happy with our room when we checked in, until the hot water tank stopped working in the evening. I was the last one taking shower and there was virtually no hot water left. Initially, we thought we need to allow time for the tank to heat up again after all of us had taken showers, but a couple of hours lapsed and the water was still ice cold. We finally had to call housekeeping to get someone to fix it. A young guy came by and said he'll re-set the thermostat? and hopefully it would work afterwards. However, when asked if he could come back again to fix it if it still wouldn't work, we're told that he didn't have the right tools with him to find out what's wrong and their department would be closed for the night after his service call with us. Sadly, the "re-setting" didn't work and we're left with no hot water supply the entire evening and the morning after. We were told that we could ask for service technician again in the morning but who would want to waste their precious time in a resort waiting for someone to fix things up, especially knowing that you'll be checking out at 11am that same morning. We'd rather spent the morning out for another round of kayak, but because we didn't have any hot water, we couldn't take showers after our morning dips before we checked out. It's mid-June and the tap water was still icy cold, which made brushing our teeth and washing our face a challenge, let alone taking showers!

Another disappointment with the room was that the jacuzzi didn't work. Also, one of the bedside lamps didn't even have a light bulb.

With regards to their recreational facilities, there's way too much room for improvement. The first day we checked in, the outdoor hot tub on the pool deck was only partially working. There was hot water, but more than half of the jets were not functioning. The second day, the whole thing just wouldn't turn on. We asked for the service technician, who came in about 10 minutes. He got it up and running soon, but we regretted that we let him go too soon. He got the jets (only those that worked the day before) running, but the water didn't heat up. We paged for service again but by that time, we've been staying in cold water for more than half an hour and we were all freezing cold that we had to leave the tub before any technician showed up again.

We loved the fact that we have unlimited use of kayaks, but then getting service for it was a challenge. We arrived on Sunday which was still a weekend, but there was no one at the dock. There was a sign posted at the storage hut door telling us to call an extension for service, but there was no phone around the dock. You have to walk all the way to the restaurant beside the swimming pool for the nearest phone. However, the restaurant was also closed, which meant you'll have to walk back to your resort room to call for service. I think at a minimum, they should install a phone right at the dock if they're not prepared to have a staff stationing there.

The Armishaw Sports Club was also a huge joke. We went looking out for the "Sports Club" and all we could find was a tent structure with some chairs scattered in there. No table-tennis tables were in sight. The ground next to it seemed to be the "tennis court", but the ground surface was uneven, worn, and there were plants and lawn furniture?? or rather trash?? in the middle of it. Again, no one could be found around that we could ask for service. Worst thing was, we asked for hiking trail maps and info about the Sports Club when we checked in at the reception, and the front desk staff kept sending us to the "Armishaw Sports Club", saying that we should be able to obtain service there. They should know better that there was no staffs there and that those facilities actually didn't exist.

After my stay, the resort sent me an email invitation for a survey, and I took the time to report all that had happened, hoping that at least I would receive an apology or an explanation. Someone did call for a follow-up on the survey, but as she was catching me at a time when I was heading out, she promised that she'll call again the day after. Now, weeks have gone by and I haven't heard again from their customer service. I guess I'm not trusting the Delta chain again for my next resort visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
RockyCrestGM, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure speaking with you personally today. We truly appreciate feedback from our guests so we may improve our service and facility. We are already taking steps to ensure our guests are able to find the assistance they require during their stay with ease. Unfortunately, the area that was thought to be our tennis courts is actually an outdoor wedding location and our tennis courts are located up at our Armishaw sports club with our salt water pool. I apologize that you were not able to find this location and we will try to ensure that we are able to better communicate this to our guests in the future.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit with us.

Jerry Feltis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I previously visited this resort eight years ago in the winter and we were a little concerned when I read some recent reviews. I am glad we came because there are no concerns with this resort.

Accomodations: We booked a 1 BR suite for us and our four year old son. We booked the 7 night cottage special which included full breakfast daily, a $150 resort credit and a boat cruise on Lake Joseph. We were upgraded back in January to a 2 BR Lakefront suite. Our suite had been updated extensively - freshly painted, carpets are "new", furniture was lovely and the room was very clean. The staff cleaned our room every day and service was top notch. The beds and linens are super comfy and plush. Our bedroom had a lovely view of the Lake and we had two TVs that we barely used. Mid week I introduced myself to the front office and asked to see several 1 BR suites (entry level rooms). Albeit smaller they had identical features and finishes. All freshly painted and very tidy.

Service: The staff bend over backwards to help all guests. They did not know I was a travel agent as I was booked like any other guest. One day the restaurant manager personally delivered me a container of granola after he learned I had loved it at breakfast. The next day Someone else gave me the recipe! The Recreation team take wonderful care of the guests poolside and down at the waterfront. Lots of lake toys to play with and the trampolines on the lake were lots of fun. The Armishaw Sports Centre houses mountain bikes (look in pretty good condition), tennis courts, a putting green, a saltwater pool (that was almost always empty) and a vollyball court. They also offer a kids camp - we booked our son for three hours daily and he had a blast fishing, playing pirates and exploring the outdoors. The Youth Staff are all happy and energetic.

Food: Strongly recommend the MAP - for $49 (plus tax & gratuity) you get full breakfast and three course dinner. We did not take this option as we had breakfast included. Buffet Breakfast is $15 and quite good. One morning we had ordered from the menu and it was also very good. We ate lunch in our suite (Panini grill from home) but ate dinner in the Lake Joseph dining room every evening. The food and service was wonderful. The chefs visited our table several times. The have a policy of letting guests make special meal requests - no problem. Children 6 & under dine from the kids menu for free at Delta hotels - which is nice.

What can I say? It is not the JW Marriott nor is it a Four Seasons. We wanted a "cottage" experience with the convenience of a resort and the amenities it had to offer. It was nice having a kitchenette to prepare quick lunches and snacks. Delta Rocky Crest delivered and exceeded our expectations. Two years ago we stayed at the nearby Deerhurst and found the resort very large, impersonal and the food very average. By weeks end at Rocky Crest we knew the staff by names and they knew us by names!

We have booked the same week in 2012 - can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Book early for the best price!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank cruiserandagent
RockyCrestGM, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We truly look forward to welcoming you back next summer if not sooner!

Jerry Feltis, General Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent an evening at the Lake Joseph resort. The service staff was beyond friendly and we really felt welcome. The drinks at the bar were expensive, but the bartender made it wort the extra money. The views of the lake were beautiful and we could see the trees slowly turning colour. Unfortunately, the dock was really weathered and our room had some issues, ie cigarette burns in the furnishings and the bathroom tub panel was falling off. All in all, it was okay and we were able to get a decent rate last minute.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoBackpacker19
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed at the resort during a recent trip to Toronto where I was searching for a venue to hold a golfing holiday for my company golf society. A colleague recommended Delta Rock Crest so I decided to spend 2 nights in order to gain an insight into the suitability of the Resort to hold such an event. I have to say that the level of service received by all staff was out of this world. I have stayed at many resorts but the friendly nature of the staff at Rocky Crest was superb. Every step of the way I was greeted and treated like a valued guest. The rooms were cosy and spacious and had a nice view of the Lake. The food at the nearby Golf Course was great, and hats off to Tom who was the most attentive waiter I have come across during my travels. I would love to return with my family to this resort one day as it has everything you would want for a peaceful, scenic trip away from the hussle of city life. The golf course itself was immaculate and adds to the appeal of combining this with any family holiday if you are a keen golfer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Shabbar K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed there last weekend, and actually brought our 2 dogs. Our suite was right on the water, very clean, and updated. Very comfortable bed. The front desk and staff were very helpful. And while the food in the dining room was quite good, it was a bit pricey for what you got. Also the service was very slow in the restaurant and the lounge.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple