“Nice resort, but too many things not working ... facilities not existent...”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Toronto, Canada
“Nice resort, but too many things not working ... facilities not existent...”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed with friends there in a 2-bedroom suite on Jun 12 & 13, we're happy with our room when we checked in, until the hot water tank stopped working in the evening. I was the last one taking shower and there was virtually no hot water left. Initially, we thought we need to allow time for the tank to heat up again after all of us had taken showers, but a couple of hours lapsed and the water was still ice cold. We finally had to call housekeeping to get someone to fix it. A young guy came by and said he'll re-set the thermostat? and hopefully it would work afterwards. However, when asked if he could come back again to fix it if it still wouldn't work, we're told that he didn't have the right tools with him to find out what's wrong and their department would be closed for the night after his service call with us. Sadly, the "re-setting" didn't work and we're left with no hot water supply the entire evening and the morning after. We were told that we could ask for service technician again in the morning but who would want to waste their precious time in a resort waiting for someone to fix things up, especially knowing that you'll be checking out at 11am that same morning. We'd rather spent the morning out for another round of kayak, but because we didn't have any hot water, we couldn't take showers after our morning dips before we checked out. It's mid-June and the tap water was still icy cold, which made brushing our teeth and washing our face a challenge, let alone taking showers!

Another disappointment with the room was that the jacuzzi didn't work. Also, one of the bedside lamps didn't even have a light bulb.

With regards to their recreational facilities, there's way too much room for improvement. The first day we checked in, the outdoor hot tub on the pool deck was only partially working. There was hot water, but more than half of the jets were not functioning. The second day, the whole thing just wouldn't turn on. We asked for the service technician, who came in about 10 minutes. He got it up and running soon, but we regretted that we let him go too soon. He got the jets (only those that worked the day before) running, but the water didn't heat up. We paged for service again but by that time, we've been staying in cold water for more than half an hour and we were all freezing cold that we had to leave the tub before any technician showed up again.

We loved the fact that we have unlimited use of kayaks, but then getting service for it was a challenge. We arrived on Sunday which was still a weekend, but there was no one at the dock. There was a sign posted at the storage hut door telling us to call an extension for service, but there was no phone around the dock. You have to walk all the way to the restaurant beside the swimming pool for the nearest phone. However, the restaurant was also closed, which meant you'll have to walk back to your resort room to call for service. I think at a minimum, they should install a phone right at the dock if they're not prepared to have a staff stationing there.

The Armishaw Sports Club was also a huge joke. We went looking out for the "Sports Club" and all we could find was a tent structure with some chairs scattered in there. No table-tennis tables were in sight. The ground next to it seemed to be the "tennis court", but the ground surface was uneven, worn, and there were plants and lawn furniture?? or rather trash?? in the middle of it. Again, no one could be found around that we could ask for service. Worst thing was, we asked for hiking trail maps and info about the Sports Club when we checked in at the reception, and the front desk staff kept sending us to the "Armishaw Sports Club", saying that we should be able to obtain service there. They should know better that there was no staffs there and that those facilities actually didn't exist.

After my stay, the resort sent me an email invitation for a survey, and I took the time to report all that had happened, hoping that at least I would receive an apology or an explanation. Someone did call for a follow-up on the survey, but as she was catching me at a time when I was heading out, she promised that she'll call again the day after. Now, weeks have gone by and I haven't heard again from their customer service. I guess I'm not trusting the Delta chain again for my next resort visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
RockyCrestGM, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure speaking with you personally today. We truly appreciate feedback from our guests so we may improve our service and facility. We are already taking steps to ensure our guests are able to find the assistance they require during their stay with ease. Unfortunately, the area that was thought to be our tennis courts is actually an outdoor wedding location and our tennis courts are located up at our Armishaw sports club with our salt water pool. I apologize that you were not able to find this location and we will try to ensure that we are able to better communicate this to our guests in the future.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit with us.

Jerry Feltis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I previously visited this resort eight years ago in the winter and we were a little concerned when I read some recent reviews. I am glad we came because there are no concerns with this resort.

Accomodations: We booked a 1 BR suite for us and our four year old son. We booked the 7 night cottage special which included full breakfast daily, a $150 resort credit and a boat cruise on Lake Joseph. We were upgraded back in January to a 2 BR Lakefront suite. Our suite had been updated extensively - freshly painted, carpets are "new", furniture was lovely and the room was very clean. The staff cleaned our room every day and service was top notch. The beds and linens are super comfy and plush. Our bedroom had a lovely view of the Lake and we had two TVs that we barely used. Mid week I introduced myself to the front office and asked to see several 1 BR suites (entry level rooms). Albeit smaller they had identical features and finishes. All freshly painted and very tidy.

Service: The staff bend over backwards to help all guests. They did not know I was a travel agent as I was booked like any other guest. One day the restaurant manager personally delivered me a container of granola after he learned I had loved it at breakfast. The next day Someone else gave me the recipe! The Recreation team take wonderful care of the guests poolside and down at the waterfront. Lots of lake toys to play with and the trampolines on the lake were lots of fun. The Armishaw Sports Centre houses mountain bikes (look in pretty good condition), tennis courts, a putting green, a saltwater pool (that was almost always empty) and a vollyball court. They also offer a kids camp - we booked our son for three hours daily and he had a blast fishing, playing pirates and exploring the outdoors. The Youth Staff are all happy and energetic.

Food: Strongly recommend the MAP - for $49 (plus tax & gratuity) you get full breakfast and three course dinner. We did not take this option as we had breakfast included. Buffet Breakfast is $15 and quite good. One morning we had ordered from the menu and it was also very good. We ate lunch in our suite (Panini grill from home) but ate dinner in the Lake Joseph dining room every evening. The food and service was wonderful. The chefs visited our table several times. The have a policy of letting guests make special meal requests - no problem. Children 6 & under dine from the kids menu for free at Delta hotels - which is nice.

What can I say? It is not the JW Marriott nor is it a Four Seasons. We wanted a "cottage" experience with the convenience of a resort and the amenities it had to offer. It was nice having a kitchenette to prepare quick lunches and snacks. Delta Rocky Crest delivered and exceeded our expectations. Two years ago we stayed at the nearby Deerhurst and found the resort very large, impersonal and the food very average. By weeks end at Rocky Crest we knew the staff by names and they knew us by names!

We have booked the same week in 2012 - can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Book early for the best price!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank cruiserandagent
RockyCrestGM, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We truly look forward to welcoming you back next summer if not sooner!

Regards,

Jerry Feltis, General Manager
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent an evening at the Lake Joseph resort. The service staff was beyond friendly and we really felt welcome. The drinks at the bar were expensive, but the bartender made it wort the extra money. The views of the lake were beautiful and we could see the trees slowly turning colour. Unfortunately, the dock was really weathered and our room had some issues, ie cigarette burns in the furnishings and the bathroom tub panel was falling off. All in all, it was okay and we were able to get a decent rate last minute.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoBackpacker19
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed at the resort during a recent trip to Toronto where I was searching for a venue to hold a golfing holiday for my company golf society. A colleague recommended Delta Rock Crest so I decided to spend 2 nights in order to gain an insight into the suitability of the Resort to hold such an event. I have to say that the level of service received by all staff was out of this world. I have stayed at many resorts but the friendly nature of the staff at Rocky Crest was superb. Every step of the way I was greeted and treated like a valued guest. The rooms were cosy and spacious and had a nice view of the Lake. The food at the nearby Golf Course was great, and hats off to Tom who was the most attentive waiter I have come across during my travels. I would love to return with my family to this resort one day as it has everything you would want for a peaceful, scenic trip away from the hussle of city life. The golf course itself was immaculate and adds to the appeal of combining this with any family holiday if you are a keen golfer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Shabbar K
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed there last weekend, and actually brought our 2 dogs. Our suite was right on the water, very clean, and updated. Very comfortable bed. The front desk and staff were very helpful. And while the food in the dining room was quite good, it was a bit pricey for what you got. Also the service was very slow in the restaurant and the lounge.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maninb
ontario
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I am a big fan of the Delta Hotel chain because they are generally of good value and well managed but found this resort to be a bit of a disappointment in some ways. A great location on Lake Joseph helps - the check in process was very good. The room quality overall was OK -about average though we could see that some maintenance was due here and there - the initial build quality ( on the cheap side) I think in some of the buildings was starting to show some wear and tear. The chairs at our dining table were about ready to falll apart and actually did when I was sitting in one. I wondered who was letting this happen ? - The big letdown was in the food quality - our first dinner consisted of 4 different selections and none of us wanted to finish our meals - this was after waiting over an hour to have our main courses served. About the poorest meal and overall service I have had in a decade. And I found myself telling my family that its "not normally like this at a Delta". I will credit our waitress with at least recognizing the long wait time and poor quality as did another restaurant person who was nice enough to make an adjustment on our bill. Breakfast the next day was just very average . We avoided eating at the resort the next night. Dinner over at the golf course restaurant on the 3rd night was a little better and a great view. In fact, if you were a golfer, this resort would probably stand out a little more as the course looked great. Overall the staff that we met seemed to put forth a good effort and cheerful face. I suppose I shouldn't complain about the high price we paid for our room as we knew this going in ....but , when some other things are lacking, really good food can help smooth over the other deficiencies. I'm not sure if those issues will ever be taken care of though.
I may wait for a while before returning to this property.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank happycamper77
Toronto
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We visited Rocky Crest Resort for 1 night on July 31st and were thoroughly dissapointed. Our room (1 bedroom suite) was not cleaned properly and smelled of mildew. The furniture was covered in sand, the shower was not clean, smelled horribly and the tiles were covered in mould. There was a terrible smell eminating from the sink and our toilet was broken which our 17 year old son had to fix. The pool area's garbage cans were overflowing at 11:00am the next morning and the towels were second rate. I would never stay at this resort again, nor would I recommend it. My son and husband golfed which was the most enjoyable part of the stay. However, the food in the club house leaves a lot to be desired.
We complained to Delta Resorts via email survey and was contacted by them almost 3 weeks later by email asking us to give times for a telephone conversation, which I promptly did. Have yet to hear from their Director of Rooms and it is 10 days later.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family