“Restaurant buffet overpriced”

McIntosh Country Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Morrisburg
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Had buffet when it was mostly Chinese food (I use the term loosely). Very standard north-Americanized Chinese items. Most items were less than average in taste. I have purchased sauces at supermarkets that tasted far better. Many dessert items, fruits, cakes and pies. Pies were substandard for this type of restaurant. My wife ordered off the menu and the food was much better and reasonably priced. Service was very good.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank thegrandstan
There are newer reviews for McIntosh Country Inn & Conference Centre

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Please note that this is a review of a quick stop over to try their dining room only.

Facility: This looks to be the only hotel in the small town of Morrisburg. It is a conference facility, hotel and it has a pub and restaurant attached. The decor is somewhat 'old style', but clean and welcoming. As you enter the main entrance you have a small check in counter on the right, a small lobby with some chairs and coffee table and on the left the entrance to the restaurant. We were welcomed by the person at the check in desk (but I observed it was not manned all of the time).

Restaurant: The restaurant more of a pub type of decor with several televisions about, wood chairs with no padding and the usual alcohol posters spread about.
We were looking for a stop over for food driving back from Quebec and we wanted to try something other than fast food chain burgers. We had come here while visiting friends in the surrounding area about two years ago and tried to come for dinner. The restaurant at the time was so packed and with no tables available, I thought to stop back in the future to see what the hub-bub was about. This time we definitely came at an off peak time ahead of the dinner crowd (no one else was there). The menu was a variety of usual pub type fare with a peculiar addition of chinese food. The food and prices were average in quality and price. It was not great, but not bad. I had a stuffed chicken and my wife had fish and chips. This is just fine for those times where you desire something other than McDonalds or Tims. (Actually there is a Morrisburg McDonalds attached to a gas station and a Tim's down the street). Service was attentive but not intrusive (and we were the only people in the place at that time).
We also found the washrooms near the restaurant to be clean enough, but they were showing their age.
Conclusion: This place is nice enough to come back here for a food pit stop. I can not comment on their rooms.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank synToronto
Reviewed January 12, 2012

For the last 3 years, my wife and I have been going to the Festival of Lights at Upper Canada Village and we have booked the package with the McIntosh Inn every time. This is a perfect get away for couples. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. The food at the Inn is very good, specially the Sunday brunch. Definitely worth the stop. Great selection and excellent taste. The price is also excellent. But the staff makes us coming back. You really feel like they care about you. Can't find that everywhere. We will surely go back next year.

Room Tip: You can ask to upgrade your room for a room with fireplace and/or jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Golfman90
Reviewed October 9, 2011

A nice place to stay staff very friendly.Clean,food a little pricey,pool hot tub nice.Enjoyed my stay.One bad thing they need to enforce the non smoking thing.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank terrym434
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I'm from the area and have eaten in the pub and restaurant. The restaurant seems to be closed often in the winter. The Chinese buffet was excellent value and the specials in the restaurant were fine when available. The pub fare is consistently inconsistent. One time the fish of fish and chips was a mere flattened, frozen piece of fish which doesn't match the description. When the order arrived and I looked surprised the waiter said that they were out of the regular and this was the replacement. Would I like to re-order---I should have but didn't because it had taken a bit of time to get the food in the first place. Last night the vegs with the tilapia were sprinkled with some sort of red specks of seasoning but were tasteless and of a strange texture. The hamburg my friend had was so-so and didn't get fully consumed. I don't eat here if I have a choice in the matter. The $20 for coffee, a piece of tilapia, baked potato and small dessert was not good value or particularly good food. THursday seems to be wing night/beer night and the place was full--perhaps that is the secret---eat according to the posters on the wall.

Room Tip: I didn't stay overnight, just ate at the restaurant. Washroom was clean.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here after driving from Niagara Falls through the USA and back into Canada. It was late, we were hungry and tired and just wanted a bed for the night. It did the job but was a bit pricey for what it was.

The food in the bar was tasty but also a little over priced. We had chicken wings and pizza with beer.

The room was clean and functional but nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lizlon
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed here two nights for a wedding and found it to be comfortable and convenient. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and parking was handy. The decor is a bit gloomy and somewhat oppressive with dark Victorian pastels about in rooms and lobby.
I would recommend the McIntosh Inn for a stopover--while visiting UC Village, e.g.--but not as a destination. Its accommodations are typical AAA motel-style.
Some minor issues:
1. Our attempt to reserve via email from Asia was not handled well. First, the Inn had no record of the wedding party whose name we gave (had them down for 2012 not 2011), and then did not state their rate on our request.
2. There is a coffee-maker in the room, with coffee but no tea, as we discovered after heating the water. Seems a strange omission and not expensive for the establishment to provide.
3. The bathroom was provided with one small bottle of shampoo, but no conditioner. The front desk staff looked, but decided they supplied shampoo only. Because I had assured my wife beforehand that every hotel provides shampoo AND conditioner these days, we made an excursion in the morning to a drug store.
In all, I felt they skimped on some of these touches.

Room Tip: From other reviews, it seems as if the second floor is preferable (where we were).
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morrisburg
Ramada Cornwall
#7 of 12 in Cornwall
Quality Inn Gran-View
Quality Inn Gran-View
#1 of 5 in Ogdensburg

Been to McIntosh Country Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!