“Decent overall”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kirkland Lake
Barrie, Canada
“Decent overall”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here and it was decent for the location. I probably wouldn't recommend it for your honeymoon but its fine for business travel. Staff was extremely friendly, breakfast was mediocre at best. Room was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed April 2013
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Good Morning!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff as well as the cleanliness and maintenance of our rooms. I will be sure to share them with my team.

We will be transitioning to a new and improved hot breakfast in the coming months. Our first step is the addition of fresh Belgian waffles within the next week. We are excited about the changes and am sure our guests will love them!

Again, thank you for your feedback! We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I were on a 2 week snowmobile trip in northern ontario and northern quebec in feb. We were passing through Kirkland Lake and we have stayed in many choice hotel properties. We payed for an "upgraded room" on the 1st floor. When we got to our room we found stains on the bedspread and on the sofa. We could see nothing upgraded about our room, it was the old style everything at Comfort Inn. We asked for another room and the desk clerk told us that she didn't know of any differences in the room but we could try another one. It was better with newer furniture ect. and no stains. The clerk also made a reference to the other option in town that I will not repeat. I assume that the price and lack of concern for maintaining the rooms is because they don't have local competition. I wouldn't blindly assume that all choice hotel properties are held to the same standard. We stayed at 13 different hotels on our trip and this one was the standout. We stayed to the south in Haileybury at Leisure Inn, to the west at Microtel in Timmins, to the north at Best western in Cochrane ,to the east at The Gouverner in Rouyan-noranda Quebec. These hotels surround this Comfort Inn location and were all better maintained properties and were all more reasonably priced

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J W
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay at our hotel. We appreciate honest feedback, both good and bad. Comments such as yours provide valuable insight and opportunities to improve.

Our rates do vary by demand and the type of room reserved. Executive ground floor rooms are between $4.00 and $10.00 more than upper rooms, depending on the day of the week. All of these rooms feature new beds, patio door access, newer furniture, wall paper, carpets, desks with desk chair, office supplies, fridge and microwaves as well as robes in the room. There are two styles of furniture in the upgraded rooms, both of which are significantly newer than in the standard rooms. We are also replacing all of the sofa beds in mid-April.

It is unacceptable that the first room you were rented was not properly cleaned and please be assured this is not our normal standard. The GSR clearly failed to explain the difference between the room types and although she is a new employee, this demonstrates to me that we failed to train her properly in this area and I sincerely apologize. I will definitely discuss this with both the GSR and the housekeeping department to make sure that this does not recurr.

I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again next season so that we can provide you with a better experience. Please contact me directly and I will personally make sure that you get one of our best rooms.

Again, I sincerely thank you for sharing your experience and I promise you that these concerns will be dealt with.

Travelers are raving about these Kirkland Lake hotels

Toronto
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were with a family of 5 attending a function in Kirkland Lake, with only 2 options for accomodation in town. We had a room on the first floor, with sliding doors to the outside where our car was parked. Very handy with 5 people's luggage to bring in! The first room we were assigned was to the left of the front entrance and was supposedly non-smoking, but smelled pretty heavily of stale smoke. No problem. The front desk immediately found us a much better room on the right side of the front entrance and there was no smoke smell! The room was very clean, wifi worked well, the flat screen TV worked well and there was a little fridge and a microwave. The bathroom was extremely clean, clean towels, blow dryer, no mold or bad paint - very decent. The staff was extremely welcoming and bent over backwards to attend to our needs and provide us with whatever we needed in the way of extra towels, bedding, and toiletries. The beds were comfortable and bedding was clean. The beds seemed a bit shorter than standard beds. Carpets also seemed reasonably clean. The included breakfast was fairly standard - little muffins, toast, juices, cereals, yoghurt, coffee and tea. But it was all good and got something in our stomachs to start the day off - a light breakfast. If you want the works or something more substantial, go to the Pit Stop restaurant in town, one of the 2 Tim Hortons on each end of the town, or one of the other little diners we saw on the main strip. We heard that the rooms on the first floor were more recently renovated - never went on the second floor, so can't offer a comparison. I do agree with some of the reviews that it was a bit expensive for what it was, but from what I heard from other people that weekend, the other hotel in town was really dated, moldy in some of the bathrooms, and in need of a good cleaning and update. We felt good about where we were! Other reviews had said this was dated too, but we just thought it was very standard. It's not the Hilton, but it was fine for a couple of nights - we were out most of the day and evening. We didn't have a lot of options! The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, which is really welcome when you have travelled 8 hours in a car with the family to get there!! It's not fancy, but it was a good, reliable and clean place to stay!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms seem to be the more recently updated ones. Rooms on the backside may be more quie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank energeticfamily
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with Trip Advisor! We were happy to hear that your energetic family enjoyed staying at our hotel! Friendly service and a clean room are our first priority and it great to hear that my team delivered this! I sincerely apologize for the smoke smell in the first room you were assigned. We do not have any double rooms designated as smoking on the main floor and this deifnitely should not occur. I was pleased to hear that the Guest Services Representative dealt with the problem immediately. We replaced all of the beds in our groundfloor double rooms just three weeks ago and I was happy to receive your feedback on their comfort! Again, I thank you for taking the time to post your review! Comments both positive and negative are invaluable to us!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

While I was on business in the northern part of Ontario, one of my stops was the comfort inn at kirkland lake. Considering I was working in Swastika and Kirkland lake, this seemed to be the most decent motel in the city.

I walked in, and was greeted very politely and the reception was welcoming. I believe the owner is the individual who met me, and was very kind and helpful. I was given a room upstairs, and unfortunately because every room was sold out, and I was the last to check in, I got the room by the exit door.

2nd floor rooms were not renovated, very old school, but the room was very clean. My only issue with the room was that it was freezing cold. After working 18 hours in the outdoor shelters, I want to come into a room that is nice and toasty warm, especially in -20 degree weather. I had to turn up the heat, which seemed to take an eternity to start up.

Once again, I couldn't bother to complain, it was sold out, and the only option was a smoking room, and i can't do those. I only needed 5 hours of sleep anyways, and I was off.

In the morning i made my way down to breakfast, and checked out. The service was still great, the staff is fantastic, and they took good care of me. The hotel just seems a little dated, but you know what, if you can get a booking here, be grateful. As expensive as it is, the only other options are flea bag motels, and this is your best bet.

For Value, its quite pricey, but i can understand why. Just don't think its appealing enough to attract more tourists, but hey what do I know, i was away on business.

Hope you have upgraded the 2nd floor, my tv, was a 12 inch tube tv, and well, lets just say i streamed tv off the internet.

Room Tip: You really have no other choice, unless a new hotel/motel has been built. The cleanest one you will...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Vartevar S
CN274, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time share your thoughts following your stay with us! It is wonderful to hear that you were pleased with the service you received from my staff and found the room to be very clean. I will be sure to share your comments with my team! We strive to provide exceptional service and a clean room and I am happy to hear that we succeeded! I apologize for the room being cold upon your arrival. In winter, it is our policy that the heat be left on in rooms that heat be left on in rooms that will be occupied to provide a warm and inviting arrival. Apparently our staff failed in this regard and I will be sure to mention this as winter is just around the corner again.

We have made some improvements over the past few mnonths including many new beds and 32" LCD televisions in all of our rooms. I am sure that you would find these improvements to your satisfaction Again, I thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor! We hope to welcome you again in the future!
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed one night. Had upper floor room. Hallway was not well lit. Room was clean but for the price of a one night stay a bit overpriced. Would stay again if needed but expected more for the price. Location is easy to get to but in the winter not easy to walk to any amennities

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea F
CN274, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor! I was happy to hear that you found the room to be very clean. Rates sre affected by many factors including market demand, number of people sharing the room and the type of room. If you do stay in the future, may I suggest you request an executive room? These rooms are newly renovated and feature many extra amenities including fridges, microwaves, robes, office desk and chair as well as a selection of office supplies. I am sure that you would be very happy with the upgrades! Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in KL for a night, room had some unwanted hairs left behind from last customer, rooms were non smoking but felt like i smoked a pack of cigarettes by the time we left. . Needless to say it was a great layout, And good enuf when in a situation for a night to stay. Wifi worked though!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Woodstockgurl33
CN274, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay! Feedback such as yours provides us with valuable information we can use to improve our product and services! I was sorry to hear that housekeeping failed to remove hair froma previous guest and will definetly review the issue with our housekeepers. It was great to hear that you were happy with the layout, WIFI and service! I am not sure why your nonsmoking room would have smelled of smoke but will investigate that as well. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you again in the future. Might I suggest that you ask about our upgraded rooms the nect time you stay. These groundfloor rooms are newly renovated and include many extra amentities.
st. catharines
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Upon checking in at this place, I asked for the senior rate, which the guy said he would give me. I paid with visa and when I got home I found out they charged me full price ($ 184.00 plus) taxes included. This is by far the most I ever paid for a room at a Comfort Inn in Ontario. I guess when your the only half decent Motel in town you can charge as much as greed will allow. Kirkland Lake has been trying for years to attract tourists to there town but with prices like that people will stay away.

Room Tip: Rooms next to stairwell are noisier
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gibbless
, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay with us. Rates are affected my many factors including the number of people occupying the room, the room type, season, and market demand. Without knowing the date you stayed, how many adults were in the room and whether you occupied a standard room, upgraded double on the groundfloor or an executive room, I am unable to verify whether the rate charged was indeed the seniors rate. May I suggest that if you expect to be in the area again, you consider booking in advance and ask about any specials that may be available. Often on quieter evenings we offer general managers specials that are extremely competitive. However as inventory becomes limited, fewer specials and larger discounts are available. Again we thank you for your honest review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkland Lake
#1 of 1 in Englehart
Parc Sutton Bay Park
Parc Sutton Bay Park
#4 of 8 in Temiskaming Shores

Been to Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake? Share your experiences!