“Great place for lunch”

The Crusty Baker
Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Kemptville
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch
Description: A European-style artisan bakery, The Crusty Bakers make a variety of breads and sweets, inspired by French and British traditions, as well as those of many other Countries. With a daily lunch menu of homemade soups and beautiful sandwiches, and weekly specials that range from chili to "Croutine" (crouton poutine), there's certain to be something for everyone. Also available is a variety of delicious local and imported cheeses and sausages, that are out for sampling with an expert on hand every Saturday
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stopped on my way here to Ottawa. Husband had a quiche with salad and I had soup and bread.
Quiche was absolutely phenomenal - best we've ever tasted, don't even make one as close as good at home.
Soup was very good, it was a little bland at first but nothing a good shake of salt and pepper didn't solve.
We took a chocolate croissant to go and it was truly the best ever, and we've tried chocolate croissants all over the country!

1  Thank dom_d_man

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My experience here was like a bad Monty Python skit or a weak episode out of the Twilight Zone. I stopped here for a late lunch with my wife and two kids. Oh, how I wanted to love it... it's a quaint little place and the tables have food trivia cards for while you wait, and there was a lego bin for my children to play with (although they don't have a high chair, which was a slight problem). So we are ready to order our lunch, the waitress asks what we would like to drink. My wife and I each order a beverage. A few minutes later, she comes back and tells me they are out of the drink that I ordered. Is there anything else I'd like to drink? So I give her selection #2... oh, I'm sorry we are out of that too! I then ordered a third drink, which they were out of also, so I said that water would be fine. A few minutes later the waitress returned to inform my wife that they are out of the beverage she ordered as well! So now they are out of the first four things we've asked for from the menu! Like clockwork, a couple come in to purchase their regular bakery items that they always come in for, only to be told by the counter attendant "Sorry we are out of them today..." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. My wife and I each ordered a savory crepe and a dessert crepe to share with the kids for a total of 4 crepes. One would think that the savory crepes would be served first.... but no, the waitress served the entree and dessert crepe for my wife at the same time and said that mine would be out in a little bit. So of course by the time she got to eating the dessert crepe it was cold, and I sat there staring at my wife eating her entree and dessert. A little bit later, my dessert crepe came out, without the entree crepe. Oops! The waitress forgot about that... so in addition to the first four beverages being out of stock, 25% of our order was omitted. Sigh. Add to that a very colorful cast of characters "hanging out" while we were there, and it was just a complete disaster. I'd be surprised if this place were in business for very long.

2  Thank Joshdent
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our visit here was impromptu... we were in the area doing some hiking/geocaching, and decided to head into Kemptville for lunch. We were disappointed that The Branch is no longer open for lunch, but then we spotted The Crusty Baker nearby, and there was street parking available right in front.

We tried two of the savoury buckwheat crepes, the ratatouille and goat cheese, and the mushroom and cheese. Both were very tasty, and unlike many restaurant dishes, not excessively salty. The fact that you can watch them being made is also a plus, and the price was very reasonable. There are a few interesting beverage options, but they are not licensed.

Service was very friendly, but a bit on the slow side... the two folks out front were doing double duty serving and preparing food, not to mention handling the retail bakery operation.

All in all, this was a nice find!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Go for the breads, they are the best crusty breads you will have eaten.
Go for the flavour, they have the most interesting herbs in their breads
Go for the deserts, they are like home made tarts and cinnamon rolls.
Go for the atmosphere, you will be an a small town warm and fuzzy feeling establishment.
If you can't get there, their breads are on sale at the Brockville Farmers Market on Saturday
but come early, there will be a lineup and they some times sell out early.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The breads are their specialty, and worth going out of your way to purchase. Good lunch selection: soup, sandwiches, and especially their lunch crepes. This bakery is worth supporting, and is definitely an asset to old town Kemptville.