“Extremely Friendly Staff but needs to be Updated”

Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ingersoll
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
“Extremely Friendly Staff but needs to be Updated”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a romanic weekend. The outside of the building and the property is georgous. We arrived at around 8:30 p.m. and the building was illuminated with lights. It was very pretty. However, we felt disapointed by the inside. Our room was not as luxurious as we expected. We expected plush comfort but found that the bed, pillows and sheets were old and needed to be replaced. Although we appreciated the antiques, the decor was not elegant, it was more mishmashed.

There is not much to do in the area but our plan was to just relax and enjoy each others company so it was great for that. During the day we went for a walk on the grounds. There is a walking trail behind the building. The snow was frozen so we could walk comfortably without sinking in. We saw a few rabbits. Afterwards we enjoyed warming up in the jucuzzi in the spa.

We had dinner in the dining room. My boyfriend enjoyed his prime rib but my top sirloin was just okay. We ordered a side of sauteed mushrooms and they were fantastic. We also had the maple syrup creme brule for dessert and we both agreed that it was the best creme brule that we had ever had.

Later at night, after dinner, we had a couples massage in our room. The massage was excellent and very relaxing. However, we noticed that the spa towels were old and needed to be replaced.

We found every staff member to be extremely friendly and helpful (reception, wait staff, spa staff). I was woken up at 1:30 a.m. by loud people in the hall (they had been attending a wedding at the inn). I called reception and they sent someone up immediately. I was hardly back in bed before someone was asking them to be quiet. I appreciated their prompt attention.

All and all, we enjoyed our stay but felt that the inn needed to be updated (beds, bedding and towels) and the rooms (lounges, etc) need to be redecorated, keeping the antique/traditional feel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alysha M
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Alysha M,
We are glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your romantic getaway at the Elm Hurst inn, and that you were able to enjoy our grounds, restaurant and spa services. I'm sorry that the decor did not meet your expectations, as the Inn was completely renovated only last summer, including new beds, furniture and towels. We look forward to hosting you again, and thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just spent beautiful time here. My son purchased us a gift certificate as he knows this one of our favorite places to go and be really SPOILED. We had Sunday brunch (with orange juice and champagne). The selection was enough to be consider a Dinner. Every thing was lovely, the food, the room and the staff. We couldnot have asked for a better Anniversary setting.

Gayle W

1 Thank Gayle W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding here. It is a beautiful place, the food was excellent. The rooms have renovated and are modern but a little smaller than a brand new hotel but it's made up for in the charm of the hotel. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Check ahead for dining options as the dining room had a seafood buffet on the Friday night and the other menu items were not available. Didn't know this until we asked about dinner reservations when we checked in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

luv the property. meals are presented finner dinning experince. rooms across form spa,are greatly appereicated and nicely decorated. all staff is freindy and beyond helpful. been several times would defintely recomend this hotel. looking forward to april reservations to interduce more friends to their vennue. see you soon.

Room Tip: if you have spa in mind. rooms across from the spa are excellently located.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rcpotts709
Belle River, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The food is great and the rooms are modern and very clean.
My wife and I spent our 27th anniversary there and will be
Going back. You won't be diss appointed. The steam room and sauna are great. Just make sure you book your spa service early,as they were booked solid and we didn't get to get our massage. We know for next time.

1 Thank Joe K
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed on 2013-02-18 and had a great time.

The service is friendly and attentive, great job....

The Prime rib buffet was awesome
All you can eat prime rib cooked beautifully, melt in your mouth, feta stuffed chicken, ham and scalloped potatoes, a fresh pasta bar, mega salads, and many desserts. Tea and coffee included.

The room was spacious and clean, with a vaulted ceiling and windows to match.

My wife loved her chocolate massage.
Very relaxing and stress reliving.

The breakfast was okay but not exciting...
Hot bacon. scrambled eggs, and roasted potatoes, many types of toast, milk, coffee and tea, pastries, jams, granola, yogurt, orange and cranberry juices...
I heard a rumor about sausages but I didn't see any....

WIFI computer services with no password problems.

What a great fun little get away for a very romantic fun time.

You will enjoy.....

M&D

Room Tip: The far one over looking the parking lot Room 325 I believe.....
1 Thank mike289london
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We really loved the room. It was very clean and I loved the character of the old room, but with very classy upgrades. The dinner buffet was outstanding and delicious from the appetizers, main course to the desserts and drinks. Our server Alisha was friendly, courteous and very efficient. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I would rate our stay with 5 stars!! We would love to stay again.
I was thinking of inviting my sisters for an overnight spa day!
Carol P

Room Tip: Stay here, you'll love it. The food and service is outstanding!
1 Thank Carol P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingersoll
Idlewyld Inn & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodstock
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
#6 of 41 in London

Been to Elm Hurst Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!