“Family Gathering”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ingersoll
Ottawa, Canada
“Family Gathering”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We needed accommodation for my family to get together December 27 & 28 and Elm Hurst was the right choice. We had a fabulous time during our stay and it was exactly what we needed. The staff were all friendly, accommodating and helpful. The food was terrific and booking one of the private dining rooms for our last dinner was perfect. The rooms were lovely and of course the views were a bonus. I booked a suite so we would all have somewhere to gather and there was plenty of space. I can see this becoming a tradition.

I

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed from a Friday to a Saturday the first weekend after the new year, 2013. It was extremely quiet since most people wouldn't really go away right after the holidays. Although right off the 401, it really isn't near anything and the Inn itself doesn't have anything on site for treats, other than the restaurant. Plan to be secluded.
It's definitely a historical place. They had actual keys for the room (not electronic cards)!
I did a Spa package with my friend and we were able to set up the package and the restaurant reservation with the Spa Director via email, prior to arrival.
Upon arriving, the staff was extremely nice and I was a little peckish and a waitress from the restaurant offered to look for some muffins from breakfast to satiate me. She served us tea and said muffin (very tasty and fresh even though it was from breakfast) in the front sitting area.
We had an early dinner which was fantastic and a huge portion. We opted for the Chef's menu (a prix fixe) and it was worth it. Needed to take a walk in the snow afterwards. (There are no real lit paths that we knew of, or could see, so not recommended in the dark).
After dinner we went to the spa. They have a hot tub, sauna and steam room. If you have spare time, you could use one or all of these.
Our treatments were extremely relaxing and the staff was really nice. (Carribbean Body Therapy and Express Pedicure)

All in all, as a first getaway of this type for me, it was great.

Room Tip: Heater made some noise but I didn't really notice while I was asleep. Fridge and Robes in the r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Detroit
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Elm Hurst is very good at what it is...and that is providing a bed & breakfast environment on a larger scale. Rooms were comfortable and clean and not expensive. I would recommend paying the extra for a suite if your inclined. The character of the property is in the house section, now used for dining and kitchen duties. Take the time to walk throughout the house and appreciate its past. All the sleeping rooms are located in the addition connected by walk-way to the original house/dining rooms.
While the Elm Hurst Inn is not the most memorable property in Ontario, it's not forgettable like so many. It's not the Hilton, and that's a good thing.

1 Thank kirbytravel
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I often stop for a night at the Elm Hurst on my way to visit mom in St. Catharines. Staying at the Elm Hurst is like going home. The people at the front desk greet me like an old friend as soon as I walk in the door. At the restaurant I get a hug from Christine and another from Peter when I arrive for dinner. Both will make a point of chatting for a few minutes and making sure that I have everything I need. Dinner is always excellent. The following morning the front desk is efficient and friendly, wishing me a good visit with mom and saying that they look forward to my next visit. Couldn't be a better experience! Many thanks to all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna P
Sombra, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked a room for New Years eve and had dinner as well. The rooms are average, clean and roomy but not outstanding, no shampoo but tons of shower gel. The meal was mediocre at best but the price was 5 star, service was for the most part good and the people were nice and friendly. We also attended the New Years eve show which was good, plenty of munchies but the drink prices were wildly inflated and the New Years toast "champagne" was really a glass of flat sparkling wine. Our package included breakfast in the morning which was very disappointing. When we arrived for breakfast at 9:50 (it goes until 10:30) there were no plates, no juice or glasses, and cold eggs, with only remants of bacon bits remaining. At one point we requested more napkins and after a ten minute wait were given paper towels instead...is this the first time they ever put on a buffet breakfast? Overall very disappointing. They must surely be surviving on their reputation from days gone by.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else and pocket the change
2 Thank Jerry J
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear JerryJ
We have received many compliments about our New Year’s Eve evening’s dining and Jazz show from other Inn guests, and are sorry that you were disappointed by your stay. We regret that our newly-renovated guest rooms did not suit your taste, but our front desk could have happily provided shampoo. We think you will find that our prices are in line with other Inns and restaurants which provide the same level of service. Your feedback, and in particular your comments about dinner and the breakfast buffet, have been discussed at a manager’s meeting as we take our reviews very seriously. Thank you for your comments.
London, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the Elm Hurst for a week during business for a training conference.After hearing all the rave about how nice this place was i guess i was expecting more. Accommodations were nice and clean but nothing above any other hotel chain. The food was amazing! No complaints there other than having the option to eat a regular meal would have been nice. For business accommodations, our group was there for a week. We had most of the meeting rooms booked and the hotel still managed to double book our groups main meeting room and had us bumped to a much smaller room that made for very tight quarters. They had also booked a wedding on the thursday afternoon with an evening reception that featured a live band playing late into the night. Unfortunately the reception was right below many of our rooms so little sleep was had that evening. All in all, average hotel with poor planning by management.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank markcarla
Dear markcarla,
I am glad you enjoyed our accommodations and the food at your recent training conference. I shared your feedback with our Corporate Sales Manager and apparently your conference conveyor was aware of the one day room change. We apologize if it caused you any inconvenience. As a busy conference venue, we always suggest booking early to avoid future disappointment.
Bayfield, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We wanted to extend our gratitiude for a lovely overnight stay.
Our dinner was tasty, excellent service. Our room was clean,
quiet and comfortable. My husband and I had enjoyed Thanksgiving Brunch there and this motivated us to return to celebrate our anniversary at Elmhurst. We will return again soon. Colleen and Robert

1 Thank Victoria B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingersoll
Idlewyld Inn & Spa
#1 of 41 in London
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Ingersoll
Central London
Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries
Hotel Metro
#6 of 41 in London

Been to Elm Hurst Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!