“Girlfriend Spa Weekend- Staff makes the Experience”

Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ingersoll
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This year, our group of girlfriends (12 of us) decided to try the Elm Hurst Inn and Spa for our annual spa weekend. I was nervous about organizing becasue the reviews on this site were all over the place, however, ignore any review that is not recent, because this was a fantastic trip.
To start us off, I dealt with Theresa for months in the planning of the weekend and she was wonderful to deal with. We worked out a package that was acceptable to both our group and lucrative for the Inn.
Then we had some Corporate dealings. Not too bad, however, their system was new and the first draft of the contract was completely wrong. I would suggestreally looking through it to make sure it's what you agree to. For our purpose I think the contract was unnecessary as it had a lot of verbage that didn't apply to us. I found that the Corporate side of the arrangement could learn from the other parts of the Inn as they focussed on getting a deposit and signed "contract" but didn't ensure that the details of what we wanted were in place, such as spa availability and meal times. Pehaps their job is to ensure payment, however, I think there needs to be balance. Everything worked out and it really wasn't bad, however, everything could use improvement and if there was anthing to remark about it was this aspect of the trip.
We arrived early and well before our rooms were ready as our appts. in the spa started at 9 am and we came from almost 3 hours away. The lady at check-in seemed a bit surpised we were there but directed us to the spa. We put all our luggage in the locker room which was fine for the time being. At Noon, we visited the check-in desk again and were able to get one of the rooms to put all our luggage in, which was great that they were that flexible to allow us that early check-in.
We recieved the lunch buffet as part of our package. I understand that it is not normally served on weekends, but we are glad it was on this Saturday because it was loveley. Not over-the-top but just right. They served a chicken stir fry, some beef, cold salads, soup and breads and a beautiful dessert selection.
The spa is what we went for and thsi is what we will be back for next year. The services were incredible and the staff were the best I have ever experienced. They are genuinely happy to be there and want yo to be happy as well. I cannot say enough about Chriss, the Spa director. I was told by "Corporate", to book the spa for the group three weeks before our arrival, however, when I called, Chriss had no idea we were coming and informed me that the Inn was offering a Women's retreat wekeend the same weekend we booked (I hadn't been told that) so the spa was heavily booked already. Ready to cry, Chriss was very accomodating, understanding, and was able to work with us to ensure we got everything we wanted to book in the schedule. It is quite obvious the spa staff are inspired by her example. Our group are very experienced spa travellers and our concensous is that their level of services ranks among the highest rated spas. Each of us had at least 2 services or more and they were able to get us all in plus the other bookings they already had, so they have enough staff and space for groups. Personally, I recieved the Carribean Body treatment which includes a wrap, and I cannot wait to go back. It was the most relaxing treatment ever. When we weren't in a heavenly service, we were in the 6-person hot tub located at the entrance of the spa or in the steam or sauna rooms.
We stayed in the rooms that were in the same hall as the spa. They were beautiful, the beds were comfy and one of the ladies wanted to take the bedding home, she loved it so much. The shower was glassed in and the water pressure was good. One of the nicest rooms I have stayed in.
We didn't have the dinner, as we found it very expensive and we brought little snack things instead. We were there for the spa more than the meals. We were advised there was apub menu, however, our version of a pub menu and their's was very different. It seemed it was just the same highly priced items from the restaurant.
The next morning was our one and only glitch of the weekend. The website was unclear about Sunday breakfast and when I arranged the package price I believed the Sunday brunch was included in our package. It was not, the continental breakfast the other reviewers had commented on was supposed to be our breakfast. It would have been very dissapointing. By the time we realized it, it was almost over and the next part is another major reason we will be coming back. Brittany was on front desk and upon explaining the situation, made sure we were included for the Sunday brunch, no argument like other places would give - they really just want their guests to be happy. It was awesome. They had chicken, beef, seafood, pasta, cold salads, an omellette chef, a crepe chef, pastries, a chocolate fountain and other desserts. Wait staff were terrific for both meals.
We were not rushed to check out, and when we did, it was quick and with a smile.
The next day Theresa contacted me to see how we enjoyed ourselves and to ensure the mix-up with breakfast wouldn't happen again. As I wrote in the title, the staff make the Experience, everyone we encountered were friendly and helpful and wanted us to relax and enjoy ourselves.
I advise anyone for a spa weekend away, a romantic weekend away or just an escape, this is the place to go. Count this review as 12 in 1.
We will be back and our group will be bigger next year. We're already planning what we're going to get.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank We_Dabble
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Dear We_Dabble,
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. We're glad you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa and your feedback will help us make sure that your next visit is even better!

Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at the Elm Hurst Inn for a weekend getaway. It was absolutely beautiful and all the employees were very helpful and friendly. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant to speak with and knowledgeable on the hotel, prices, and any information that I was looking for. Even all the meals were perfection. The rooms were nicely renovated and had a very modern appearance. I went to the spa to get my nails done for a few hours and it was incredibly relaxing; the staff were friendly and did a great job. I would definitely come back to the Elm Hurst and recommend it to anyone looking for relaxation and comfort!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank bp07uh
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear bp07uh,
Thank you for letting others know how much you enjoyed your Weekend Getaway at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa. I'm glad that our staff took such good care of you and that you were able to take some time for yourself in our spa. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed January 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a romantic getaway and enjoyed the Elm Hurst very much. We arrived and the staff were very friendly and helpful while checking us in. The room was clean and fresh. We had a couples in-room massage and the attendants were very helpful even bringing music to listen to while we were being pampered.
We went for a lovely meal and our waiter was incredibly friendly and outgoing. He was attentive and really made the occasion very special. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and his suggestions were spot on. The food was the best part!
The jacuzzi was big and clean. Overall, an excellent visit and we will remember it for a long time to come.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Janine C
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Dear Janine C,
Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you and your boyfriend had a wonderful winter getaway at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

The room was nice, dinner lovely and our waiter top notch. But, the menu on the website indicated a fresh, made-to order breakfast. Instead, we were given a Super 8-style breakfast bar, and not a good one. It was disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Laverne90

Dear Laverne90,
I'm sorry that our complimentary Country Breakfast did not live up to your expectations, but I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner and your Inn Room. Customer feedback is very important to us at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, and we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

All in all, Elmhurst Inn & Spa is okay, but we wouldn't hurry back. It all started off on a bad note when my wife booked us the Jacuzzi Suite last week. She has had a bad back and was quite looking forward to having a nice hot jacuzzi bath as soon as we checked in. Well, the first thing reception says to us when we get there, is that they made a mistake and that the suite had already been booked, so they gave us the "Lady Cumberland" room which had a fireplace instead, and at a reduced rate. Reception 'claimed' that they sent us an e-mail stating such, only 10 minutes after she booked the room, but we never got one. My wife even checked our e-mail on her Blackberry once we got settled in our room, but there was nothing. Either way, we had already driven all the way there and were looking forward to a rare night away from the kids, so we weren't going back now. The fireplace room was okay, but it seemed that the fireplace was just kind of 'there'. There was no ambience to it. It was about five feet from the bed with no rug or chairs beside it...like it was an afterthought. The whole room was nice, but there was nothing special about any of it. When we checked out, my wife suggested to them that if they ever double book a room with anyone else, maybe call them...don't just 'allegedly' send an e-mail. I have a feeling that someone wanted the room after we booked it and offered them a little bit more for it. I have no evidence to say that...it's just a hunch. No reason to go back. I will say that the bed was really comfy though.

Room Tip: The place is okay, but in the middle of nowhere. Good if you want that, I suppose. The town of Inger...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LailasDaddy

Dear LailasDaddy,
Thank you for your comments. I sincerely apologize for the mix-up with your room reservation and can understand that a Fireplace Inn Room might disappoint when your wife had hoped to enjoy a Jacuzzi. Our general manager is looking in to what happened.
It's a shame you did not dine in Elm Hurst's mansion restaurant. It is certainly one of the most unique dining experiences in SW Ontario! I hope you will stop by for a meal the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Had an very enjoyable evening at the Elm Hurst Inn near Ingersoll. Wonderful building, service, room and dinner experience. The room was newly renovated, quiet and well appointed. The dinner was excellent in quality, portions, presentation and price. A nice menu selection.
The hot breakfast was a bonus.

Room Tip: I understand all the rooms have not been renovated. I would suggest asking for a renovated room as i...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Collwd-Bala

Dear disappointed155019,
It's wonderful to hear that your stay at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa did not disappoint, and I'm pleased to let you know that renovations to our Inn Rooms are now complete!

Reviewed October 14, 2011

What a transformation. The Elm Hurst Inn has gone from 'Country' to 'Classic Elegance'. I have been a corporate client with the Elm Hurst for more than 15 years and earlier this year when I heard that some renovations where being done I was anxious to see them. On a recent stay with my husband I took the time to enjoy the fountains, manicured lawns and gardens on what was a perfect weekend away. And I can't say enough about our room, it was gorgeous. Thanks to all of the staff, housekeeping, front desk, dining room, and the Sales Manager all attentive, pleasant and welcoming. Can't wait to return, whether on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenD1953
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2011

Dear JenD1953,
It's wonderful to hear feedback from a long-time corporate client and guest. I am glad you and your husband were able to enjoy a weekend away and experience all the great changes at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingersoll
Idlewyld Inn & Spa
#1 of 41 in London
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Ingersoll
Central London
Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries

Been to Elm Hurst Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!