“Crap!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went here about a week ago with my boyfriend and we had ordered the the Thai rice wraps as an app, which were amazing. However, I could not say the same about the chicken Pad Thai that I had ordered for my main course. This was the WORST pad thai I have ever had! It was red looking and tasted like it was seasoned with Ketchup. There was hardly any chicken in the dish. There was zero spice and when I asked the waitress for some spicy sauce, she handed me some dried chili pepper flakes. I was not willing to pay $14 for a meal that I did not enjoy, when I sent the dish back to the kitchen the host did not seem pleased at all... I was so looking forward to having authentic thai for dinner, but this was not good. I am surprised that this place has received so many good reviews. I have been to many Thai restaurants and this one does not measure up. Save your money and go elsewhere.

3  Thank 574michelle

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

It's always hard to pick a restaurant, especially when the goal is middle ground for someone coming from Burlington and the other from niagara.

After a thorough google search, the Grimsby Thai Restaurant was chosen due to the favourable reviews found on this site and boy we were NOT disappointed.

In my mind, Grimsby is not yet a bustling metropolis and it's hard to avoid the typical chain restaurants like Boston Pizza and Swiss Chalet, but this restaurant is a jewel!

Small, minimal interior. Greeted by a friendly husband/wife team behind the counter. Seated near the window at a comfortable banquette. Pretty quiet inside where some conversations at the other tables would carry.

We ordered a soup, chicken mango salad, ginger tea and split the royal pad Thai between the two of us. The food came quickly, with a great presentation by one of the friendly married duo. The portions were decent, not too much and not too little.

We paid at our table, enjoyed some small banter with the wife and later asked the husband some questions (how long have they been open, are they married, family, etc). We continued chatting for another 5 - 10 minutes in which they brought us a small scoop of coconut ice cream on the house. We never felt rushed, or upsold or uncomfortable!

At one point we even caught the husband/wife enjoying their dinner 5 tables away - made us feel more at home and apart of their life.

I loved the food, loved the people and will definitely be back! My only criticism would be to have either louder back ground music or a sound masking system so conversations don't carry from table to table. But again. You are going out for the food, and it was worth the open atmosphere!

3  Thank FranchescaLAVA
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Grimsby Thai last weekend, and were thrilled with the menu and service. Portions are generous and fairly priced, and every item we got was absolutely delicious. I've eaten Thai in many restaurants, and can honestly say that this place had the BEST pad thai I've ever had! Make sure to splurge on an appetizer too - the shrimp spring rolls were delightful!

2  Thank Kris M
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Grimsby's latest edition to a very limited food scene, is very welcome! The food was fresh, well prepared and served hot! The family hosts and servers were as gracious and interested in your satisfaction as though we were in Thailand. The restaurant is clean and decorated in a tasteful and culturally relevant fashion. The walls could use some art and the lighting is too bright. I would definitely go back and hope that next time I do, I find a dish that has a bit more heat and spice. I'm afraid the owners may have toned down the flavours for locals whose taste buds are likely very bland. I'd like to suggest giving people the option as the food wasn't as flavourful as it could be.

2  Thank Mavi110
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I have always made the trip into Spicy Thai in St. Catherine's....but no more after eating lunch at Grimsby Thai. The restaurant is clean and spacious .... The server very friendly and excellent service. I had the Cashew Chicken and my friend had the Green Curry. We loved both dishes. On the lunch menu you are given a small bowl of soup and a spring roll....the soup was delicious with just enough heat and the spring roll was hot and crisp...very good. It was in all a very good experience and will be back soon.

2  Thank carolyn55_11