“LOTS of food, good quality, great customer service”
Review of Sushi Eight - CLOSED

Sushi Eight
Cuisines: Japanese
Grimsby, ON
“LOTS of food, good quality, great customer service”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We are not sushi eaters, but enjoy the chinese menu options. The Dinners for 2-5 are a GREAT economical way to feed a family. Reasonably priced, lots of food, always hot and fresh. They deliver too!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank CrownRidgeBB

St. Catharines, Canada
“I was really excited to have a Sushi place in Grimsby, until I tasted it!!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I usually eat at Sushi Ai or East in St.Catharines and both restaurants are excellent. I was hoping for at least half the food quality and service but didn't receive either. The restaurant is sort of like a cafe or deli style eatery due to its blandness in decor and small interior. Don't expect to take a date here and get a phone call from her the next day! ;)
Our server was cheerful and cute but lacked in service experience. She (or the cooks) forgot items and all around us people were making comments to her and each other about getting the wrong items or not getting them at all. The staff walked into the dining area many times and walked to various tables asking, "did you order this?" until they found the right one. Clearly there is a communication breakdown that needs taking care of. My other issue with the service staff was they were asking about about dessert while we were still eating our dinner and before I finished my dessert she brought the debit machine and the bill. Minor things yes, but very unprofessional.

My main issue was with the food. The fish was VERY thin and dry tasting as was the case with most of the food. For the sushi, the rice was very thick and dense and I have never had that much served to me in the form of sushi. It was an obvious attempt to sacrifice on flavor and quality in order to fill their guests stomachs fast. The avocado was over ripe, browned and mushy. All the items we ordered were sloppy and there was no attention to detail or understanding of flavors.

I think if they replaced the chef and recreated the menu with the help of someone like Nick Ni (the chef at Sushi Ai), they might have a chance at winning back the clients they lost, including me. The wait staff will improve over time and I am sure with their bright smiles and pleasant ways, they will also be a success in time.

As for now, I will not be returning.

My advice to the restaurant is to fire your chef, focus on quality and flavor. You will make a little less in the short run but your guests will return and in the long run you will make more and succeed.

• Visited March 2012
Monster, The Netherlands
“Nice AYCE Sushi restaurant, good service”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We had dinner here with 2 persons. The restaurant is located in the centre of Grimsby in the building where formerly the Italian restaurant Cibo Osteria was located. It has lots of parking in front and on the other side of the street.

The interior is a little bit boring. With only tables and hardly any decoration, not disturbing however. But not a place for a romantic dinner though.

The good thing about the restaurant is the vast choice of food that is available. The quality is quite good and the service very quick and correct. The presentation of the food is nice to.

Price is also correct for the quality that is offered. Certainly a place to come back to and one of the better Sushi restaurants in the area. If they would make the interior somewhat nicer it would rate for very good. For the food you will not go wrong here though.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Aliceesjan
Hamilton, Canada
“Check your take-out order”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Ordered from menu with the intention of picking up food for home consumption. Could not substitute another type of soup rather than the miso soup that came with my sushi combo, even though I offered to pay more for the higher priced soup??? Also, requested avocodo salad with my combo which INCLUDED salad, and was told that all I could get was green salad. What is green salad....you guessed it, lettuce with dressing!

No other customers were in the restaurant at the time of pick-up, yet employee completely over-stuffed food into bag, therefore leaking when arrived home (surprise surprise)! Also, noted that 1/3 of our order was missing, yet we paid for it!!! I know the order was placed correctly as the restaurant employee repeated all items back to me at time of ordering.

The sushi that we DID receive was varied & decent, just order at your own risk!!!

• Visited February 2012
Canada
“Nice place - pretty good sushi”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've been to Sushi Eight three times over the past three weeks and it's been better each time. The restaurant is new and the staff (always the same 2 ladies) also seem new. The food is pretty good - not great - but not bad either. The rolls are very good with the sushi meat a little thin for my taste. I will keep going back for sure.

$12.95 for all-you-can-eat lunch is very nice