“Just like going home - only better!!!”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
“Just like going home - only better!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This March was my third visit to Ste. Anne's and my mother and I have another visit booked for June. Quite simply put: St. Anne's should be on your "bucket list". Whether the grounds are snow covered or the gardens are in full bloom, the place is gorgeous. There is never a bad time to visit.

The staff are more than accommodating, friendly, welcoming and attentive. I really like the fact that the owner - Jim Corcoran - has his phone number readily available to all guests if they have concerns during their stay (although I can't imagine I could find an issue if I tried!).

I have stayed in the Sentosa (newer accommodations a short walk from the Main Inn), the Cathedral Room and the Games Room (in the Main Inn). I prefer the cozy old estate ambiance of the Main Inn and the easy access to the Eucalyptus steam room! (total heaven). The pictures on the Ste. Anne's website are flattering but do not capture how just how excellent the accommodations really are.

All the treatments I have had were wonderful, but I highly reccommend the Chakra Balancing Massage.

The food - WOW! Every meal was a culinary delight - from the Eggs Benedict for breakfast, the tastiest organic burger and kale salad for lunch, the soups and main course dinner selections - my mouth is watering just remembering it! Healthful and filling - buy the cook book while you are there - I relive my spa experience when I use the recipes at home.

Going to Ste. Anne's really is just like going home - only better. Treat yourself and indulge - you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: The Cathedral Room and the Games Room - spacious yet cozy. I prefer a room in the Main Inn so that...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CanuckTravelSnobs
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear CanuckTravelSnobs;
Thank you for your review! We are honored that you chose Ste. Anne's Spa as your relaxing destination. As always, it is our pleasure to embrace each and every guest with warm, friendly hospitality. We want everyone to feel comfortable and right at home with us. I'm so glad you enjoyed every moment of your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Kawartha Lakes, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My mother and I bought a package of a 1 night accommodation including breakfast lunch afternoon tea (high tea in my opinion) with a 120 allowance towards any spa services. I cannot rave enough about this place from the moment you walk down the path to the front entrance and get a view of the land surrounding the spa it is breathtaking the building, land etc.... Food was absolutely amazing!!! staff were friendly and spa services were great! the amenities that are included are great it really is an amazing place to relax and enjoy good company. The spa is exactly what you would see in a movie, everyone walks around in luxurious white bathrobes with flip flops and healthy snacks available while lounging in one of their many rooms. Steam rooms everywhere you look with eucalyptus scent the building is just absolutely beautiful and the food is what you see on the food network!!! I could go on and on about this place I will be definitely returning with all my friends and mom of course:)

Room Tip: We stayed at the Sentosa Cottage absolutely gorgeous! Room was huge with an amazingly large bathroom...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Stephanie M;
Your review is very refreshing to read and your comments and words so very thoughtful, thank you for your kind words! Our ultimate goal is to help our visitors rejuvenate their body and soul and relieve stresses from everyday life, and it certainly sounds as if we succeeded with your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit!
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2014

You will not regret attending this spa! my friend and I enjoyed an amazing day at Ste. Anne's in December. We splurged and had a number of the treatments, including a massage, body wrap and facial. The professionals that took care of us, were skilled and made our treatments very relaxing and enjoyable. The food was great with the exception of the gluten free bread that was served for afternoon tea... I love little sandwiches but with this bread, we didn't eat them... however this did not spoil our day, we enjoyed the plunge pool, the sauna, and simply relaxing on the amazingly comfy couches while feeling the wonderful sunlight pouring in through the large sunroom windows. Do not hesitate to stay here, it is a fantastic day of relaxation and as I like to call it a "little piece of heaven"!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Anita A;
It was a pleasure to have you as guests! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience with us, including your relaxing spa services and the amenities! Guest feedback is an invaluable tool for us in our quest to provide the ideal guest experience as our goal is to ensure your stay is memorable! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It was a great mid-week getaway located close to home. The food was excellent and employees very friendly and helpful. The facility was clean and spa services were good. I would recommend to anyone looking for a restful and relaxing mini vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Peggy W;
Thank you for your review! We are honored that you chose Ste. Anne's Spa as your relaxing destination. As always, it is our pleasure to embrace each and every guest with warm, friendly hospitality. We look forward to your return!
Toronto, ON
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This trip was exactly what I needed. Excellent service, environment and great spa options. The deep tissue massage was the best I ever had and will definitely go back again. The food was amazing and the tea options was more than sufficient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear choc_5;
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the relaxed and laid back nature of our spa! We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Carleton Place
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I couldn't believe I won a free overnight at Ste. Anne's Spa for their "customer appreciation" for February! I've been there twice before, and plan to go again in June, but this bonus visit was a wonderful windfall! I went with my daughter, and stayed one night in the Games Room. It was very homey, with antiques and comfy beds and linens, a fireplace, and a lovely view out to Lake Ontario through a large bow window. The entry is under the arch in the main building, very private and unique.

Each time we enter Ste. Anne's, it feels like we are coming home. Maybe some visitors might think it isn't quite as up-to-date as they would wish, but for us, especially staying in the main inn, in the older part, it feels comfortable, and feeling the history just enhances the ambiance for us. The Eucalyptus Steam Room is as enjoyable as ever, and is one of the highlights for us. Since it was March, and in a never-ending winter, we spent a lot of time there, and also in the outdoor hot, cold and medium tubs. We've been fantasizing about the Eucalyptus Steam Room since our last stay in September, and it was lovely. Everything was free for us this time; how nice is that? We both had the Caribbean Therapy, which was really nice. It left our skin soft and fresh. I actually fell asleep twice during the treatment. Amanda is very sweet.

The meals were the best we've had at Ste. Anne's, and that's saying a lot, because they have almost invariably been excellent. We had the sampler plate for tea when we got there and it was just right. I had the ratatouille for supper with the divine creme brulee for dessert. Right on. Atlantic Eggs Benedict for breakfast, and I thought I wouldn't be able to eat it all, but I did. The Feathery Pear Tea is a new discovery for us, and it is so good, we brought a can home. But the lunch the next day was exemplary: creamy asparagus soup, light and tasty; a kale and blueberry salad with maple citrus dressing was so good, I couldn't believe I saw other people not even trying it, and sending it back to the kitchen untouched. Then the beef burger: the best burger I have Ever Had! On a whole wheat kaiser bun with roasted cherry tomatoes, salsa and a creamy feta with citrus or something else mixed in--I would go back again just for that (and we live three hours away!). The dessert was a carmelized bread pudding with toffee bits; I was skeptical at first, but afterward, I told the waitress it was like a tiny orgasm on a plate.

The staff are very accommodating. Richard was very helpful when we arrived, and I never saw a cross face the whole time. The owner's phone number was available anytime; anyone who had an issue was welcome to call and have it addressed in time to enjoy the rest of their visit.

I am not just being positive because it was a free windfall. Ste. Anne's has never disappointed us in the past, and it has become a family tradition. We are just waiting until our three granddaughters reach eighteen, so we can initiate them into the best spa going.

Room Tip: Previously we stayed in the Cathedral Room, which is over top of the Games Room where we stayed this...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary M
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Mary M;
We are absolutely humbled by your glowing review and simple description of your experience being "Better Than Ever". It was with great pleasure to welcome you back as we work hard to provide an unparalleled level of service paired with a comfortable setting and worry free ambiance. We are thrilled that you could feel the positive energy and caring vibes throughout your stay. It is our hope to make your experience unique and exclusively yours! We hope that you have fond memories that will last until your next visit!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our first time at Ste. Anne's and we were looking for a relaxing, pampering couple's weekend away this winter to reconnect and de-stress.

Great service: My first massage treatment was quite inadequate. I voiced a concern which was immediately addressed the next day. The on duty manager took complete care of the issue by re-arranging our schedule and seeing to it that I got the service I requested.

Staff in the dining area were all good. One notable stand-out in terms of great service was David (Dave). He made great recommendations and showed genuine interest in our stay and well-being at the spa - this last point is essential to the spa resort experience!

Treatments: The rest of our treatments/massages at the spa ranged from very good to excellent, thankfully.

Food: Very good, in general terms.

Breakfast - this was probably the weakest meal of the entire stay, but still good. The egg dishes (frittata and egg's benedict) were adequate but not outstanding. The pancakes were very good and the continental buffet satiated the appetite and was complete, but not rich. Standouts: hot apple cider. Room for improvement: Offer a better selection of coffees - the espresso based coffees were lacking and black coffee turned out to be the only suitable option!

Lunch: The homemade burger by far was the best option for lunch. Standouts: Ste. Anne's carbonated water is amazing! Room for improvement: Offering fresh bread not just at dinner, but also at lunch! The bread at lunch seemed day-old. Also, perhaps serving a variety of breads and not just one type of bread would be nice.

Afternoon Tea: Tip: Select the sampler plate if you aren't sure. You get a bit of everything and it's quite good. With Afternoon Tea, you never feel hungry throughout your stay - there is always an adequate amount of food available.

Dinner: We had a salmon amuse bouche that was excellent! The salads and soups to start were consistent and very good. Notable starters: Beet and cranberry salad; trout appetizer; and don't miss out on the tomato and herb soup! The antipasto, which usually are not that tasty, was extremely and surprisingly good at Ste. Anne's. For main dishes, the trout with basmati rice and the chorizo pasta special were the best dinners of the stay for us. Desserts were plentiful in terms of variety (and quantity): the best included the berry plates and bread pudding special.

Surroundings: The location and the building/castle are beautiful and relaxing. Our stay at the Innkeeper's was comfortable, quiet and warm. It should be noted that in winter, with the snow and ice, we didn't find that (commuting back and forth from the cottage) the walkway to the main inn were in great condition. At our cottage, as well, the stairs leading to the front door were, at times throughout our stay, quite precarious (an issue because I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy!) We had to pay special attention and take a lot of care walking around. Perhaps more attention could be paid to creating a safe environment for guests staying in cottages.

Overall room for improvement: We enjoyed our stay however believe that, for the price, given this is a rustic environment and not a top luxury resort, more should be included. Perhaps complimentary drop-in yoga and meditation classes (one per patron per day) would be ideal and create more of a wellness environment.

Maison Sante: We were told by service staff at the main inn that the pool and water treadmill at this location were in working order. However, no one advised us that it would require our manual labour to get it functioning (we were here in winter in very cold weather and we had to remove the covering and tarp ourselves, in the freezing cold). In fact, other patrons using the gym were confused and warned us that it appeared that the hot tub and pool were out of service or closed. They advertised an outdoor huge screen TV which also appeared not to be functioning, at least during the winter season (unless we didn't know how to operate it!) The actual gym was adequate. The lockers in maison sante do not lock, either, which, for an unsupervised location, is not recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Carla_and_Jaime;
Thank you for your review, we appreciate feedback as it is always an opportunity to improve our guest's experience! We are thrilled that you were pleased with the relaxing surroundings and personable team! We aim to provide a serene oasis for those who wish to unwind and find solace from the hustle and bustle from their day to day lives. Our goal is to make every guest feel valued and welcome and we will use your experience as part of our ongoing training to provide the best service possible to each of our guests. We look forward to seeing you in the future and thank you once again for your comments and suggestions!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 7 in Cobourg
Baltimore Bed & Breakfast
Baltimore Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 2 in Baltimore

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!