“Very relaxing and easy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Bancroft, Ontario
“Very relaxing and easy”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The facilities was great! They welcome you with amazing robes and slippers and spa bag. The locker rooms are very clean and comfortable. We stayed in the "Farmhouse" with 7 people. IT was great to have our own space. All the food was amazing as well. they do not have a liquor licence but you are able to bring your own refreshments :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jazanimal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My mom and sister surprised me with a day at St. Anne's for my 30th birthday. It was a fabulous day. We started with yoga and then a nice steam in the Eucalyptus steam room. Following that we tried out the various pools in the stone groto. Then it was off for a delicious lunch (in our bathrobes). After lunch we hit the pool. I never wanted to leave. It was the perfect temperature and had a great view of the fields but alas we had to get to our treatments. I had the signature facial. It was nice and the aesthetician was very friendly but in the grand scheme nothing special. After the facial it was off for afternoon tea. They did a great job on this and the selection of tea was extensive. We finished the day with a hike around the property in search of the horses. No luck with the horses but the trails were beautiful. All-in-all I had a great day. The only thing I would have changed was that I would probably would have skipped the treatment. All the other features were just so much better. I would have liked to have had my hour back to spend by the pool or in the steamroom or trying to find those horses!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelCanadiana
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

It's been a while since I've visited this spa destination and I was not disappointed. We were welcomed and offered our keepsake bag with housecoat and slippers. We began our day with the hot tub (outside) and the eucalyptus steam room . It was not too busy so timing for us worked well. We then enjoyed a fabulous lunch with unlimited food ordering and drinks (non alcoholic but you can bring your own if you like). The food quality was excellent, as was the presentation and the portion sizes. Everything was delicious and we were quite satisfied. We then moved on to our spa treatments. We both had the same facial and talked about the experience. We both thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the esthetician's were very professional. Later we went back to the dining room for afternoon tea, scones, and savory options with various hot drinks to try. Again, very filling and the food was fresh and very good. Overall, another great day at the spa and the price is right. I've been to many different spa's all over the world and find this one to be right up there in terms of value and experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rivergirl1
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We drove in the back road, surrounded by November mists and the rolling hills of Northumberland County, and already we felt relaxed. Inside the beautiful stone building we were greeted with cosy white bath robes, slippers and hot cups of cranberry tea.
The rest of our stay (2 days/1night) at Ste. Anne’s Spa was heaven. My daughter and I went there to celebrate our birthdays and spend some luxury time together. Our stay was even better than we dreamed of.
Without exception the staff was polite, calm, efficient. (While booking our stay there was a mix-up about times and prices, but that was quickly and pleasantly cleared up. Be sure to read all the pages of your confirmation.) The first afternoon we enjoyed a body massage each, then afternoon tea. While my daughter had a facial, I curled up the comfy couches of the quiet room reading by the fireplace. Most guests spent the day in their bath robes, relaxed and friendly to each other. We realized a small overnight bag was all we needed to pack.
Dinner - the food is locally grown as far as possible - was delicious, with a good variety of choice. We chatted all through our meal and were surprised to notice we were the last guests in the dining room. No one rushed us away. Our room, in the original part of the former farmhouse, was comfortable, pretty, and had a fireplace. There is no tv at Ste. Anne’s but we brought a laptop, hooked up to their wifi, and stretched on a bed to watch our show. Afterwards we thought we should have gone to the hot tub too.
Next day after a large breakfast of Eggs Benedict, fruit and the most delicious tea biscuits I’ve ever eaten, my daughter went for foot and hand treatments. I could have tried a yoga class, but I chose to walk the idyllic countryside – farms dotted with grazing sheep, and in the distance the silver waters of Lake Ontario. There are also 3 different walking trails and a workout room.
After an excellent lunch, we returned home, refreshed, relaxed, ready to face reality again. We definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: You can see each room on their website.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gfsherman
Toronto
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for an overnight getaway. We had an incident --an altercation of sorts with another guest, which compromised our efforts to relax. The management, in our case, Christina, took the matter to heart even though it was not the hotels fault. She did an amazing job of listening to our concerns and smoothing things over and we fully appreciate her, and the efforts of every single staff member, to ensure we felt important and welcomed here at every turn.

The spa facilities are great but on the smallish side for the numbers of people at the spa during the day but the way the hotel staggers their meal times ensures that this shouldn't happen. I loved the pools in the grotto area.

I had the rejuvenating scalp treatment which was fantastic. Everywhere you go everyone is in their robes or yoga wear, so it's a really casual atmosphere. Tea and water and snacks are available in the plenty of sitting areas around the spa.

The food is pretty good. As a foodie, I can't say it's a 5 star, but rest assured you'll get quality meals with consistently great service, and you'll get enough to eat no matter your appetite. It's worth a mention that much of their ingredients are grown on site, which is fantastic. Another review mentioned that the tea time is a meal in itself, which might be true if you think 4 finger sandwiches and some veggie sticks will fill you up, but you can always ask for more servings and they offer a wide assortment of drinks. And you can always BYOB. Our faves were the lunch burger and flourless chocolate cake.

I had the Haldimand East room, a 5-7 min walk from the main building, and it was so very charming and spacious (and romantic). There was an evening turndown service too, which was very nice.

From the atmosphere, facilities, staff, food and accommodations, service and quality are unquestionably good. Overall a super solid destination spa getaway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chambello
Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

If your body and soul are in need of a relaxing and spiritual getaway, I have found it. Once you enter through the front doors, there is very little that you need to worry about as everything is included with respect to your meals, room and full use of the facilities (steam room, hot tubs, plunge pool, fitness center, gym, walking trails and even helping at the stables). If you go in the summer, they also have an outdoor pool, several sitting areas and a tennis court. Depending on your package, you may also receive a spa credit and I suggest venturing out of your comfort zone and getting a treatment that you would not typically get downtown in a mall type spa like their seasonal, heat & hydrotherapy and body works treatments. Once you are onsite, the staff are extremely helpful and available to take care of all of your concerns. I have been going to Ste. Anne's on an annual basis with a very good friend for over 10 years. This is our break before the holiday season and our place to breath from a hectic work life, as well as a tiny break from our respective families. We both agreed that this past year is one of our best visits ever. Ste. Anne's is not a posche platinum getaway where you feel that everyone is judging you when you walk through the door and you are unsure if the furniture is there because it is art or it is available to sit on. It is a well established spa who understand their guests and they want you to feel at home. From the time you enter, every where you go there is a place to sit down, relax, enjoy a hot cup of tea or coffee or a glass of water (at no charge). They always have snacks available to grab like apples a biscuit or granola (again, at no charge) while you are either waiting for a treatment or want to sit down and read a good book. I can't wait for my return trip next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tetta14
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This quick getaway from the city was exactly what I needed, however I was disappointed in a few things. Overall had a great experience -- Food, staff, and setting were wonderful! Disappointed in the spa's facilities mainly because of how small they were (hot tube and steam rooms) and the lack of variety. Steam room's and hot tub were wonderful but the property would benefit from an indoor pool and hot tub big enough for more than 4 people (size of outdoor hot tub). Treatments were good but not outstanding and probably not worth the price. I've had much better facials for the same price or less at other spas, and the same goes for the massages. The room, in the Birdsong cottage, was very spacious and had a wonderful bathroom and outdoor setting but was over 1km and a large hill away from the main property. The only other thing I can say that was negative is the fact that they allow robes to be worn in the dining room during any meal. I personally prefer to be clothed and be around people who are clothed when eating. The quality and taste of the food was wonderful and the selection would fit anyones diet requirements.

Room Tip: **We got a last minute inclusive deal the day before we went and saved over $75 a person! **Call...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Catherine-Rose M
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Catherine-Rose; Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review about your recent visit to Ste. Anne's Spa. I was thrilled to hear that your quick getaway from the city was "exactly what you needed and that you had a great experience as a result of the food, the staff and the setting". I hear this from many of our guests.

As far as you comments about the facility are concerned - this caught me by surprise. Our outdoor year round Fieldstone Grotto, where the hot tub is located, will accomodate a lot more than 4 people at a time quite comfortably. The Grotto area features a large hot tub, a cold plunge pool and a spacious current pool. Adjacent to the grotto is our very popular (and spacious eucalyptus steam room. In the men's and women's locker rooms, (over 1,500 square feet of additional space), guests can use steam rooms, hot tubs and saunas. A new hot tub is being built in the women's locker room, so access to that space is limited right now, but not for much longer. We are also in the process of designing an exciting new outdoor water feature with an epsom salt bathing pool, hot and cold saunas and more - watch our web site for progress reports and details on this industry leading project.

There are also miles of hiking trails, our working farm, lots of seating areas, and lots to do between your meals and spa treatments. In previous years we have offered indoor swimming at an indoor pool at Maison Sante, but we decided not to open it this fall as the vast majority of our guests preferred to enjoy the outdoor current pool in the Grotto.

I guess I was most disappointed to hear your opinions about the treatments. I constantly hear guests raving about our therapists. Perhaps you could contact me and let me know more specifics and I can investigate. All in all, I feel that Ste. Anne's provides a wonderful, relaxing escape from the city, for a great price. Thank you for taking time to help spread the word! Sincerely, Jim Corcoran.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Elmhirst's Resort
Elmhirst's Resort
#1 of 2 in Keene

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!