“Exactly what I needed but....”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Exactly what I needed but....”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This quick getaway from the city was exactly what I needed, however I was disappointed in a few things. Overall had a great experience -- Food, staff, and setting were wonderful! Disappointed in the spa's facilities mainly because of how small they were (hot tube and steam rooms) and the lack of variety. Steam room's and hot tub were wonderful but the property would benefit from an indoor pool and hot tub big enough for more than 4 people (size of outdoor hot tub). Treatments were good but not outstanding and probably not worth the price. I've had much better facials for the same price or less at other spas, and the same goes for the massages. The room, in the Birdsong cottage, was very spacious and had a wonderful bathroom and outdoor setting but was over 1km and a large hill away from the main property. The only other thing I can say that was negative is the fact that they allow robes to be worn in the dining room during any meal. I personally prefer to be clothed and be around people who are clothed when eating. The quality and taste of the food was wonderful and the selection would fit anyones diet requirements.

Room Tip: **We got a last minute inclusive deal the day before we went and saved over $75 a person! **Call...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Catherine-Rose M
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Catherine-Rose; Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review about your recent visit to Ste. Anne's Spa. I was thrilled to hear that your quick getaway from the city was "exactly what you needed and that you had a great experience as a result of the food, the staff and the setting". I hear this from many of our guests.

As far as you comments about the facility are concerned - this caught me by surprise. Our outdoor year round Fieldstone Grotto, where the hot tub is located, will accomodate a lot more than 4 people at a time quite comfortably. The Grotto area features a large hot tub, a cold plunge pool and a spacious current pool. Adjacent to the grotto is our very popular (and spacious eucalyptus steam room. In the men's and women's locker rooms, (over 1,500 square feet of additional space), guests can use steam rooms, hot tubs and saunas. A new hot tub is being built in the women's locker room, so access to that space is limited right now, but not for much longer. We are also in the process of designing an exciting new outdoor water feature with an epsom salt bathing pool, hot and cold saunas and more - watch our web site for progress reports and details on this industry leading project.

There are also miles of hiking trails, our working farm, lots of seating areas, and lots to do between your meals and spa treatments. In previous years we have offered indoor swimming at an indoor pool at Maison Sante, but we decided not to open it this fall as the vast majority of our guests preferred to enjoy the outdoor current pool in the Grotto.

I guess I was most disappointed to hear your opinions about the treatments. I constantly hear guests raving about our therapists. Perhaps you could contact me and let me know more specifics and I can investigate. All in all, I feel that Ste. Anne's provides a wonderful, relaxing escape from the city, for a great price. Thank you for taking time to help spread the word! Sincerely, Jim Corcoran.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The food was excellent- great variety & unlimited amounts. Spa treatments were excellent- even a hand treatment was done while lying on a comfortable, heated massage table!
The main issue I have is the reception, for both booking in and out. They were understaffed & the staff were not entirely knowledgable or helpful. They were rushed, disorganized & less than hospitable. Being the front-line, where first & last impressions are made, this is certainly an area that management should take a closer look at.
The steam room, as well as outdoor hot tub, lap pool areas are very small- considering the volume of guests at the spa. Those areas were uncomfortably tightly-packed with guests. In addition, we could not find seating in the relaxation/waiting area because all of the couches were jam-packed with guests, making the time spent less-than-relaxing.
The locker room areas are very nice, but there are few washrooms, and the ventellation seems less-than-sufficient, considering the odors throughout the entire day in that space.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank NancyMann
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay over a weekend with my sister and mother. The arrival process was fun: traveling by train and getting picked up and driven to the site. Very friendly driver, giving us a bit of a guided tour enroute. When there, we took advantage of the spa services and also, as it was quite moderate in temperature, enjoyed the grounds. The food. Was fantastic. The accommodations were fine, though not particularly luxurious. We most definitely enjoyed teas service. So many exquisite teas to try in lovely pots an tea service sets. I would go again. Very expensive stay but was truly a get away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

10 women went for a get away 2 day trip. We loved the property, spa treatments, accommedations and food. Ths staff were very helpful. They just have to be more organized in getting people in to their rooms. It took for hours until our rooms were ready. Overall, we loved our time here.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bright and sunny
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
North Bay, Ontario, CANADA
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I was celebrating my 40th birthday with 3 other friends. Wanda booked our reservation. She went above and beyond to meet our needs. We stayed in the innkeepers and it was perfect for us. The food was the highlight of our trip. I loved that it was all inclusive. The spa services were fantastic. There were no negatives! I would highly recommend Ste. Anne's spa!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Cirullli
Whitby, Ont.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My mom, sister and I have been going to Ste Anne's for over 20 years and have enjoyed every single visit. My daughter has been waiting for years to join us as she has always heard us talking about the great food, amazing treatments and friendly staff. Last month she turned 16 and her aunts and I honored her by bringing her to Ste Anne's. We had the best weekend together. She loved everything about it and we are sure that we will never be able to come again without her. The property itself is just beautiful and was decorated nicely with fall colours and flowers. We tried the Equine class and really enjoyed learning about horses and for me it helped me face my fear of horses.The staff at Ste Anne's is exceptional and very accommodating and after a fabulous meal, sitting in the eucalyptus steam room together was icing on the birthday cake. A special thank you to David N, Cora and Heather and to all the staff that made our visit an occasion to remember. Happy Birthday to my daughter and welcome to the Ste Anne's fan club. Ste Anne's, we are truly your biggest fans.

Room Tip: The suites are gorgeous and spacious and make you feel completely pampered
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My friend and I just returned from an overnight stay at the St. Anne's spa. The location was beautiful and the buildings were magnificent. We arrived and immediately had our quick tour and were shuffled off to the locker room to change into our robes and slippers. The locker's caused an issue because both of us needed to get our locker combination reset due to malfunctions. This was annoying. Secondly, I felt like we were herded into a waiting area for a spa which reminded me of a bunch of patients waiting for their day surgery appointment. I didn't enjoy seeing men with robes open to their navels and wished there was an area that made me feel comfortable.
The Swedish massage was divine and worth every penny. However, we no sooner finished our spa treatment and were advised to rush to the dining room for our afternoon tea. This was pleasant. Once we finished the tea, we finally were able to check in and find out where we were staying. We ended up at Innkeepers Cottage which is approximately 1 km away from the main hall. It was a house that could sleep 6 but my friend and I were able to roam around the house by ourselves. It was very pleasant and secluded. We had dinner reservations for 7 pm and unbeknown to us, we didn't realize that there was no liquor license so that was a bit of a disappointment. The food quality was very good and the service was exceptional. Once again - I wasn't used to seeing people eat dinner in robes but that is a personal choice. After breakfast on the second morning, we once again awaited our turn for the Carribean foot therapy. This was a total waste of 65 dollars. I would never recommend this treatment to anyone. Both my friend and I concurred on this one. Overall, the staff are very attentive and polite. The dining room staff was outstanding. I wouldn't go back as the crowding was a turn off for me.

Room Tip: Bring your own wine or liquor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Helen B
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Helen: Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent visit to Ste. Anne's Spa. I am pleased to hear your many positive comments; the Swedish massage was divine and worth every penny, afternoon tea was pleasant. the Innkeepers Cottage was very pleasant and secluded, food quality was very good and the service was exceptional. All in all it sounds as though you really enjoyed yourself. However, I am disappointed to hear that despite all this good news, you have indicated at the end of your review that you won't be returning, although I am a little confused as to your reasoning. On the one hand, you describe how you and your friend had the run of a spa cottage that could easily sleep six people, but then you conclude that you won't return because of overcrowding. On our busiest day Ste. Anne's receives 100 guests. Our facilities are quite generous. Our main facility consists of over 40,000 square feet on 400 acres of rolling countryside. To my mind, that leaves lots and lots of space for everyone. While there isn't really anything I could have done for your concern about other guests relaxing in plush terry robes (it is a spa after all), I do wish you had called me (I provide each guest with my cell phone number on check-in), as I would have gladly given you a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner (again, our BYOB policy is articulated during every reservation call and re-iterated in our confirmation letter), and I would have arranged for you to have a spa treatment to make up for your dissatisfaction with the Caribbean Foot therapy. Our goal is to create a wonderful, relaxing perfect respite for every guest who comes through our doors - feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance to this end.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 2 in Keene
The Woodlawn Inn
The Woodlawn Inn
#1 of 7 in Cobourg

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!