“Quiet, relaxed holiday spot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Evergreen Resort

Evergreen Resort
Mississauga, Canada
“Quiet, relaxed holiday spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed here for years and have always found it very suitable, even after the change of owners some years ago. The new owners appear to be working to keep the place well maintained. The cabins vary in quality - some are more rustic than others - so if that's an issue for you, you should check which to reserve. The ones we have stayed in (at the end) have always been quiet and a good place to relax. The kitchen is reasonably equipped, especially for BBQ'ing on the deck. The cottage has a lovely picture window onto the lake, and a small TV with satellite if you really need that rather than the view! The A/C is small for the cottage size, but we hardly had to use it. Note that you need to bring your own towels; that's not well noted on the website (and I like to bring my own sheets, though those are provided). You are also expected to sweep the cottage, empty the garbage, unplug the fridge when leaving (it is a housekeeping cottage after all!). The dock is small and the lake shallow, not great for swimming, but there is an indoor pool plus a nice sandy beach has been added, and there is a small play area for kids, all of which we have enjoyed. Some of the family have gone canoeing on the lake. We love the location - it's only a few minutes to Gore Bay, and central to the rest of the island. The staff have always been friendly and helpful. Most of all, it's a great place to just relax and unwind - sit and watch the lake, trees, and wildlife, in peace.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank H M

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We spent two days at the resort and had a wonderful holiday....the location is excellent, peaceful and well maintained....rooms were clean and well equipped......and most of all, the owners and staff were very friendly and helpful, treated us almost like family.....I called and emailed couple of times before the trip to get some information and all my queries were answered patiently.......Ice Lake, on which the resort is located, is clean and good for boating....the only drawback is that it's a bit shallow and rocky in places, so you have to avoid those areas......we weren't into fishing orselves, but the other guests who were fishing were ecstatic about the quality of fishing in the lake....

All in all, a good experience and I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to spend a couple of days in the peace and quite of Manitoulin Island with friends or family......

Room Tip: The cottages are the best....they do also have some motel rooms, but the cottage experience is what...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelerJay_12
Flesherton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have been booking our holidays at Evergreen Resort for the past four years -- we have found the resort to be exactly as advertised on their website. Some of the older cabins are a little more rustic then the newer cabins that have air conditioning and satelite tv. There is a good selection of cabin styles depending on your need. Lynn has always been very helpful when booking holidays that include all family members -- 12 for the past two summers. We have always found the beach area to be very clean with the sand raked each day -- there is a floating dock though that the resident Canada Geese claimed as their own last summer. There are lots of birds that visit the area and a bald eagle has a nest out on the island -- great place for birdwatchers! There is lots to do at the resort and it is also very central to a lot of events that are happening else where on Manitoulin. I do not hesitate telling my friends and colleagues about Evergreen if they are looking for somewhere to stay while exploring Manitoulin.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Patricia C
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I wanna start by saying we normally keep to our selves when we cottage so don't expect names of owners and stuff. We probably could have been more social because all the neighbours were great and exchanged simple hello's and one set of neighbours were nice and I guess we will call them the "fisher People" lol They fished every day and every time returned with 5 to 7 lb bass in mass. I wished I had a licence. (some of the fish were caught right from the dock)

The cottage itself was beautiful and new in styling. A little smelly until we aired it out but hey this is wilderness! The only draw back to the cottage was the beds that were a simple mattress on a plywood frame (all of us whined about that)

When we arrived our cottage was ready we moved in and went for our food, after returning we discovered we were missing a bag. We went to the store to buy some of what was missing and the woman (Lean I believe) said "was it at foodland in Gore bay" Well, guess what she grabbed the phone and called her daughter who works at the store and she brought the missing bag home with her At that point we new we had found the right resort!

The week was so exciting as we discovered we were at the half way point of the Island 70 klm one way and 60 the other, so if you plan to explore the island this Resort is ideal.

One of the highlights of the resort is the indoor pool which had a very slight chill but didn't take long to get use to. The beach was nice but as is typical it was very mucky and water shoes would be ideal (we stuck to the pool lol)

We made many trips to Gore Bay to see the deer at night as they are EVERYWHERE I am a amateur photographer and I got many beautiful shots. There is a Field on the east side of the entrance to the resort and we also got maybe deer shots there. We even bought a deer grunt caller and managed to get at least one deer out of the forest in this location.

I would highly recommend this resort as the owners are so nice and want very much for your stay to be the best it can be. Including recovering lost groceries.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Mike_Moraites
Whitefish, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

This is by far the WORST resort I have ever been too!! When I complained they would not even refund me my money even though I only stayed one night they made me pay for the three I had booked! The place is disgusting! The web site is totally false! There were so much loon and geese droppings on the lawns and on the beach that my children could not play or swim here. The boat launch was horrible and unusable and are cabin was dirty and the fridge was not even plugged in when we arrived. We arrived at 4 pm and checked out the next day at 8 am. I would have left sooner, but the trip was long and my children are young. It was very disapointing and totally ruined our family summer trip! Thanks a lot evergreen resort!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 28 in Manitoulin Island
My Friends Inn Manitoulin
My Friends Inn Manitoulin
#1 of 2 in Manitowaning

Been to Evergreen Resort? Share your experiences!