“Okay dining experience”

Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Eagle Lake
Mississauga, Canada
“Okay dining experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Recently, my wife and I were staying at a cottage on Eagle Lake. We were up there with her mother and our two children. Before we were married, my wife and I stayed at Sir Sam's Inn where we had a wonderful time, which included the fine dining. Now, we wanted to return with our whole family to again savour the delicious cuisine. Unfortunately, the experience was a little disappointing. We reserved a table for five for an early dinner because of the children (aged 14 and 11 years). We were shown to a table which was sandwiched between the two kitchen doors. Needless to say, this would not have been a quiet dining experience with the in-and-out traffic of servers using these doors. When we asked if we could switch to a quieter table, the young lady serving us said that the other vacant tables were meant for parties of two to four persons. When we asked if two vacant tables, which were in a quieter area of the dining room, could be pushed together (just as the two were between the kitchen doors), she seemed a little perturbed. I was also getting a little perturbed because we were standing around and other diners were beginning to stare. The dining roof was less than half full and so, there were quite a few empty tables. Our server then said that she would have to speak with the manager and asked if my family and I would leave the dining room and sit in the lounge. We then quietly left under the gaze of some of the diners who were whispering amongst themselves. Soon thereafter, the manager appeared and after hearing our request, apologized profusely and had the tables set up as we had initially requested. We then re-entered the dining area under the gaze of some of the diners and were seated. The food was not the same as when my wife and I had previously dined here. It was good but not delicious. I ordered the chicken and duck combination; the chicken was tasty but the duck rather overdone and tough. With a bottle of wine, the dinner for the five of us was quite expensive. For what we ended up paying, I would have expected a much better dining experience. Unfortunately, we will not be returning to Sir Sam's.

• Visited August 2013

Toronto, Canada
“A great dining experience with added touch”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although the dinner menu isn't extensive, you wouldn't be disappointed in any of your choices. The staff were very attentive to dining experience and took the extra step of asking about food allergies when I ordered a seafood appetizer. The Osso Bucco was one of the best my dining partner had ever enjoyed.

The lodge itself is historic and features the art of some of the local painters. Take some time to arrive early or stay after dinner to explore this unique and peaceful lodge. I imagine it takes on a whole different feel in the winter months.

• Visited July 2012