“Super Friendly Resort”

Ranked #1 of 2 Eagle Lake B&B and Inns
Mississauga
“Super Friendly Resort”
Reviewed January 31, 2009

My husband and I just came back from a 3 night all inclusive stay at Sir Sams Inn. The staff was very accommodating and even upgraded us to a jacuzzi room as the resort was not full. Our room was large and comfortable with a wood burning fireplace and very comfortable bed. We had a beautiful view overlooking the lake and two comfortable armchairs to sit in while taking in the scenery or reading. We were told that the food was amazing and read many reviews on Tripadvisor confirming this. However, as the ski lifts are closed on Monday and Tuesday, we suspect that the regular chef takes those days off. We were very disappointed with the food. Nearly everything we ordered came undercooked from the steak to the morning eggs and the coffee was never anything but warm. As the food is a big portion of the cost to stay there, we felt a bit ripped off. Having said that, the soups were very good and the desserts adequate. Not a lot of choice but that is understandable when there aren't many guests. We loved the waterspa! Just what the doctor ordered to deal with the aches and pains of nordic skiing . Overall, we had a good time. Staff members are so friendly and service was excellent in the dining room and the front desk. Other than the food, we had no complaints.

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable with a big comfy duvet.
  • Disliked — Some of the furniture was pretty old.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
cambridge
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We booked for a party of 10 who regularly spend New Years Eve together. This is a special time for us and we always look for a memorable time away.
I expected Sir Sam's to be good as I had checked it out in the summer I just didn't expect it to be that good. They offer a New Years Eve special which included some pretty impressive fireworks not to mention an amazing dinner. The food OMG!!! They also offer a warm water spa which our group used several times. Did I mention how amazing the food was.??? They have little sitting areas with fireplaces and a bar for quiet times. There are also separate areas to play games ie ping pong or shuffle board.

The rooms in the main lodge all come with wood fireplaces and the staff made us feel welcome AND appreciated.

The location is in a beautiful snowy area complete with a ski hill 100 yards away. We used their snowshoes or there are groomed trails nearby at a slight cost.

Also, about 40 minutes away is dog-sledding. Complete with huskies and sled. This is no ordinary tourist thing, you are actually in charge of your dogs and sled. Way too much fun and a bargain when you see what is involved. Highly recommend it.

All in all I highly recommend this resort for a romantic time away or with several friends

• Liked — fireplaces and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Burlington
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My husband bought me a romantic get away for Christmas - the wonderful resort that he booked was hit by the power outages up north last week and we had to cancel. Since we were looking so forward to this getaway and our packed bags were still in the car, I took a shot and called a few other Inns, a few had no power including Sir Sam's but later Sir Sam's power had come back on so I asked if there was ANY chance that they had a room that night (!) The lady ( Janice) was SO pleasant and accommodating ! She explained that the luxury room I wanted was only available that night and the second night was previously booked- Janice apologized for the move but explained clearly where our second night stay would be, should we choose. I had heard great reviews from my sister and took the chance to check Sir Sam's out. I was very PLEASANTLY impressed! Starting with the warm feeling when we walked through the front doors of this Inn and the incredibly warm welcome from Janice ( who I had only talked to on the phone)
The room was lovely , with log burning fire place and stocked wood and really larger than the two of us needed. We immersed our city bodies in the Water Spa and were hooked! The considerate service in dining room was very respectful of the private romantic dinners we desired, food was delish . Our second room was a cozy, cute smaller version of the luxury room- and we liked the jacuzzi better :) Massages on site !! oh what a blissful getaway we had ! Total thanks to Janice for her hospitality, eagerness to please and the amazing massage she gave me. Sir Sam's- all the people at this resort, staff and other guests, smiled at us - Many happy clients ! AND many more to come! Thank you VERY much ! We are both still lingering in the bliss .

• Liked — hard to choose only one !
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed July 10, 2008

The hotel and spa are magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel to go home. The spa brought a sense of peace and tranquility over us we have never experienced before. The new chef delivered on his promise of a five star meal and the owner was in top form as usually you alway make us laugh J). Thanks again Sir Sam`s for the Best Weekend Ever and we will see you again next year!

• Liked — Staff & Food
  • Disliked — It rained for about an hour
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed for two nights and they were very relaxing.
The staff was very accomodating and friendly.
The guests were very friendly and welcoming.
The food and activities were great.

There were daily activities and on this weekend there was a theme weekend being a Tasting Menu.

Included in our weekend stay was Boat tour around the lake, sailing canoeing, mountain bikes,tennis to name a few and of course the water spa made this a great get-away all included.
The only reccomendation I would make would be to stay at least three nights or longer or as part of a longer vacation that takes you to other locations in Ontario.
There are surrounding areas that offer an arts community and parks for more excursions.

Overall, if you want an intimate getaway that offers
a social schedule or non-schedule.
The docks and spots for quiet reading was great
The room was more than satisfactory; large jacuzzi tub and shower, robes for the pool, ensuite tea and coffee with a walk-out to a patio off our room looking at the lake it felt like staying at a mini cottage but with lots of benefits.

• Liked — friendly social lots of sports activities included like boating, tennis, beautiful location overlooking lake
  • Disliked — travel time is around three hours or more from Toronto
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We have stayed at Sir Sams Inn many times. We have had the occasional problem but after this we will not return. I booked our room directly with the Inn. I told the gentleman that I was speaking with exactly which room we wanted. We requested the largest room in the main building. It is approximately 800 sq. ft, has a king size bed, small dining room table and chairs etc. At no time did he tell me that this room was unavailable but led me to believe that it was. We arrived on Friday afternoon and we were thrilled to be told that our room was ready.....until we went to the room that is. It was not the one that we had requested, it was about 300 sq. ft. with a queen size bed. Our bedroom and master bath at home is larger than that so we definately were not going to pay over $1300 for the "pleasure" of spending two nights in this one. We went back to the front desk and she informed us that the room that we had requested had been booked when I phoned. It would of been nice to have been told this at the time of booking. She did show us another room that had a king sized bed. It was in one of the buildings by the shore and the room was even smaller than the one that we had and it also had a definite odor in it. When I commented on the smell I was told that I was probably the fireplace. No, it was the smell of cigars not a fireplace. We initially decided to keep the first room. We went back to it, I took one look at it and told my husband I wanted to go home!!!! We went out to the truck, he got on his cell phone and contacted Bear Trail Couples Resort in Whitney Ontario. They saved our weekend and our anniversary. Be sure to check my review on it. When my husband went in to tell them that we were leaving, the woman that we were dealing with told him that she could make something work. That should of been done in the first place. This has happened to us at Sir Sams Inn before but we let it go. It makes us wonder how many other people this has happened to. Bottom line is that we will never go back and we would not reccomend this Inn to anyone.
The 2 rooms that we did look at definately showed wear and tear. More than what is acceptable for the prices that you pay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dishonesty at the time of booking
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank beloro
Brantford, Ontario
Reviewed October 8, 2007

On May 10, 2007, my husband booked a lakefront suite, with breakfast and dinner to be included, as well as a romance add-on, for our 5th anniversary in September, 2007. We have many friends who have stayed at this resort and recommended it to us. We really can't comment on the rooms, food, activities, etc., as our room was given away within 2 weeks of making the reservation. We received an email from the Innkeeper on May 22, 2007, indicating that a large group had made reservations and all wanted to be together. In order to accomodate this request, our room was given to another couple before the Innkeeper consulted us. We received an email saying that we could stay at a cottage (which was nowhere near the lake, which was our only request), we could book another weekend, or we could just cancel. As we weren't even given the decency of a telephone call, we decided to cancel. They did send us a gift certificate for a 1 night stay, with meals included, however, we have just given this away, as we will never stay at this resort. It is obvious that if their customer service is this bad before you even arrive, I can't even imagine what it would be like once you got there. We have stayed at many Ontario Resorts and Inns and have never come across this problem. In reality, once you book a room, pay a deposit, and receive confirmation, it usually means that your reservation is confirmed, not "maybe" confirmed. We ended up going to The Irwin Inn on Stoney Lake, for our anniversary, where the customer service was fabulous, the food was good and the rooms were great!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Haliburton
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#4 of 16 in Algonquin Provincial Park

Been to Sir Sam's Inn & WaterSpa? Share your experiences!