“Keep Up The Good Work”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bowmanville
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I just came back from staying 4 nights at this Holiday Inn Express. Overall it was a great hotel experience. The hotel and my room were very clean. The hotel was quiet for my whole stay. The staff were very pleasant to deal with. I did not use the pool or the gym, but I did take a peak, and they also seemed clean and in good working order. The breakfast area was very visually appealing and well laid out. The food was good, and the serving area was clean and tidy. The only small problem I had was with the WiFi (as noted in others reviews of this hotel). It was very slow in my room, and in speaking to others, they advised that their WiFi was slow as well. Nevertheless, next time I am in the area, I will be staying at this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor, and had no issues. Nice & large rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review.
We're so pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again really soon!

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel and room were clean, but our room smelled very stale (like old cheesies). Couldn't open window to air out the room. Yuck!
Two business people - one in-room Internet connection. The wireless didn't work on the 6th floor which was inconvenient.

• Stayed: March 2013
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I'm so sorry your room didn't smell fresh! It would have been our pleasure to have moved you to a different room and we would have treated the one you were in. Sometimes when we have hockey teams stay on a weekend, their gear can get "aromatic" shall we say. We normally catch that, though, and have the room ionized and steam the carpets to ensure it's fresh for the next guest. We clearly dropped the ball this time.
The wireless Internet is being upgraded to improve the service which is why we still only guarantee the wired at this point. I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you but please rest assured that it's an issue we are taking seriously and, although it's something we are unable to completely correct as fast as we'd like, we are very close to completion. I assure you that the next time you stay it will be even better.... if not perfect!

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable. I am a fan of the HIE brand. This location has the slowest elevators I have ever encountered. They also accept pets which is a bonus since I have a dog. I have stayed here before and I will again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review.

We look forward to having you stay with us next time you're in Bowmanville!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Two adults and two teenagers stayed here for 2 nights in early February, commuting between Lyndsay and Oshawa for hockey tournaments. The location is close to several fast food restaurants and Hwy 401. Sit down restaurants are also nearby.

The hotel itself is new (April, 2012) and thus is clean. It's a standard HIE layout. The bathrooms seem larger in this newer hotel, which is good. The pool is clean but don't get the jacuzzi timer mixed up with the fire alarm.

Included breakfast is always a nice time and money saver. Breakfast is the standard - breads, pastries, cereals, powdered scrambled eggs, sausage patties and juices. The pancakes come out of a machine, which was new to us.

We do have two complaints - our "credit card" keys kept getting de-magnetized leading to at least 5 trips to the front desk which necessitated waiting in line if the time was near check in, and the wireless internet was horrible. If one sat at the work desk, it could not get a signal. We were on the fourth floor, north side of building.

We did find it was a little expensive ($140/night) but due to the circumstances didn't have much choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful and fair review.

The wireless for us has been an ongoing issue which is why we guarantee the wired Internet but not the wireless. We always offer loaner Cat5 cables at the front desk for the guest's use and we do have the 24 hour complimentary business centre with hard wired Internet for our guest's convenience.
That said, we are constantly working on improving the wireless as we know how necessary it is for today's traveller, and should have everything completely functional very, very soon. The recent improvements have been great AND we now have 3 more new access points to install which will make things even better! Please rest assured that we will not stop our efforts until the wireless is industry standard and completely user friendly. We are diligently working through the challenges.

You inadvertently gave us a lovely compliment, by the way. The hotel has actually been open since April 2010 so, as a 3 year old property, being confused with a brand new property is flattering and a testament to our wonderful housekeeping and cleaning staff.
Thanks!! :-)

I do apologize for the keys becoming demagnetized. Keys can't be placed anywhere near a credit card or cell phone as they will lose their code. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the key itself and is a problem experienced by all hotels who use this type of system. I hope Front Desk informed you of this risk and, if not, I apologize again for the lack of information and will stress to them again that the guest must be advised of this. I assure you, I, myself, would have been upset after the second time the key wouldn't work. If you ever encounter this again, a call down to the front desk from the house phone on your floor would have a Front Desk Agent coming to YOU with a brand new key, saving you another trip to the desk.

Aside from this, I hope everything else about your family's stay was pleasant and we look forward to having you stay with us again, next time you're in town.

Holiday Inn Express Bowmanville

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Even thought this is a new hotel, I found some of the finishing touches and furnishing gave it an older feeling. The one criticism I have is that the water was luke warm in the shower, even when you had it on full hot, it was only warm. There were numerous basketball teams staying at the hotel but we didn't hear a thing, we had a very sound sleep. Breakfast was very good, we enjoyed the choices that were offered and it would suit anyones dietary needs. I used the exerecise room, small, but had everything I needed. Plenty of parking space available, and easy to locate off the highway. We stayed at this location because everything was booked solid in Peterborough, if the occasion arises again, we would not hestitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review.

We sincerely appreciate the positive feedback.

Looking forward to having you stay with us next time you're in town.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was nice, quiet and clean. We stayed on a weekend when the hotel had 3 ringette teams there, but we were up on the 6th floor and did not hear anything. Breakfast was good, pool was nice and warm, hot tub was small. Two criticisms that I have is
1. that the water must be on some sort of control, because when taking a shower, and having the tap completely on hot and the water was barely warm.
2. when we tried to hook up to the internet, we asked if there was a security key (because it asked for one), and the girls at the front desk told us 'no', it took us three times to actually get the security key from them...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your honest and thoughful review.
I sincerely apologize for the issue with the hot water. Once it was brought to our attention we called in the experts to investigate and the problem has been rectified. Unfortunately the problem with the heaters was one that didn't reflect on any of our "needs attention" notifiers. We are taking measures to ensure we're not caught by surprise like that ever again. We don't like to miss the same thing twice!
Regarding the Internet, we guarantee wired Internet in the rooms and no password is required for that service. We are launching a test of the wireless Internet as we have found a solution for the issues we have been experiencing and are hoping to have the entire hotel 100% wireless guaranteed by the end of December. I apologize for the confusion. The agent must not have realized you were actually looking for the wireless password as you were calling from the guest room. The agents are getting used to the new service, too. :-)
Once the wireless Internet is officially launched, each registration pack will have a copy of the wireless Internet password/support sheet so everyone will automaticall have all the tools required to utilize it.
Thank you, again, for taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you're in town.

Warmest regards,

Front Office and Sales Manager
kimberlys@pomeroygroup.ca

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent in every area...front desk staff, cleanliness and quality of room, quality of complimentary breakfast and housekeeping, parking and overall impression.
I extended my stay from 1 to 3 nights and may even stay longer. As someone who has stayed at over 50 hotels/inns in the last 2 months, I am not easily impressed.

This hotel impressed me.

See details below.

Room Tip: Stayed in room #320 which was spacious, modern clean, and had a mini fridge and microwave. As a res...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you so much for the lovely review!

We are so pleased you had a great stay and hope we have the opportunity to enjoy your company again, your next trip to Bowmanville.

Warmest regards,

Front Office & Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowmanville
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#3 of 7 in Whitby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville? Share your experiences!