“Venison and apricot lavender walnut cake, oh my”
Review of Bloomfield Carriage House - CLOSED

Bloomfield Carriage House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Likes: the venison in port was melting, the skin on the duck breast was perfectly crispy, the selection of vegetables was terrific and well cooked and the apricot lavender walnut cake with salted caramel ice cream was divine. (And the faucets in the bathroom are something to be seen.)

Dislikes: the dining room feels more like a very large hallway than a room and the overall feel of the restaurant is a bit stiff and prim. BUT we wouldn't hesitate to eat at the Carriage House again and will recommend it.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family ate at the Carriage House this past weekend. The food was really good (for instance, the rib eye, fresh pea-mint soup and rabbit leg) and the atmosphere pleasant. However, the quality of the food was overshadowed by the slow service. Though the wait staff were pleasant, they were terribly inefficient. We didn't get our drinks until more than half an hour after we arrived, and that pace continued for most of the meal. Seems a shame.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I went to the Carriage House for our anniversary, along with our two best friends. We are all "foodies" and we were not disappointed!

The quality and freshness of the food was superb, and everything is made in-house. We shared appetizers (lobster ravioli, roasted rabbit & the pate) and everything was delicious. The portion sizes for each course were perfect (not too big, not too small) which was great as it meant we all had room for the fantastic deserts!

The service was a definite equal to the food. Our server was knowledgeable about the food and wines, and made excellent recommendations. The service was friendly and attentive, without being overbearing, and when we were a bit slow on deciding our mains (too many tempting choices!) we were assured that the table was ours for the evening, and not to rush anything.

The only thing I could say as a negative was that the restaurant was a bit on the warm side, as it was a very hot day.

All in all it was a fabulous evening and my husband and I will definitely be back again!

1  Thank Lynn N
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We took Mom out for a birthday lunch. The food was excellent and wonderful presentation. The appetizers came out fairly promptly. I'm not sure what happened, but we then sat forever and ever waiting for our meals. Now it did get busy with lots of new tables coming in, but the server never stopped by to explain the delay. My wife had to go to the kitchen to ask about the delay after several tables came in after us and ate their meals and left. The meals were amazing when they finally came out, but the long and unexplained wait kind of left a bad taste in our mouths. When we complained about the long wait, they took 15% off our bill - but I couldn't believe we even had to ask. We might go back some day, but we won't be rushing back.

1  Thank Steve A
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is the long weekend and understandably busy at any rest. in Bloomfield. We had booked a table for 6 for lunch on the sunday. The order was taken, appetizers were served (took about 20 minutes to get soup and pate, ) then we sat, and sat , and sat. Meanwhile the rest of the rest. filled up with tables of 2 and these people were served , ate , and left and still no main course for us. No one came up to explain, no one apologized. Finally I went up and asked about our meals and was told they were being plated. Again 10 minutes went by and finally the meals arrived. At this point it was well over an hour waiting for 1 quiche, 2 fish, 2 sand, and 1 pasta. I do understand that busy is busy but I happen to work in a rest. and I honestly feel like our order got pushed to the back because we had appet. and then lost/forgotten. It does not take over an hour to make these meals.!!!! (Especially when I saw several other tables getting exactly the same food we ordered, who came in after us and got their food way before we did). I realize this is not fast food but come on, no one even explained the delay, offered to compensate for the wait, nothing. Finally I went up and mentioned that I expected some compensation for the delay...I was told the chef apologized , said it was the long weekend and took 20.00 off our bill.)Again this is a lame excuse, at least have the courtesy to say we are sorry your bill got misplaced, we got overwhelmed with other tables. At the end no one offered us coffee/dessert, just here is your bill. This is too bad as the food was amazing and we live close enough we likely would come back for dinner but sadly at this point this will not happen.