“PEC Wine Region”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“PEC Wine Region”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I must say Ontario has impressed me with one of the most lovely, quaint wine regions I've ever seen. Prince Edwards County is a little known treasure less than 2 hours from Whitby (3 from Toronto) and is home to 31 wineries and a handful of 'foodie' destinations that have rave reviews. Touting to have a climate and soil resemble that of Burgundy, France, producing excellent and unique flavours and award- winning vino Scenic, uncrowded country wine trails, dollar tastes and friendly folks make this day trip amazing and memorable. You can expect to visit farms with barn tasting rooms...done up very nicely. An old school house tasting room surrounded by acres under vine, and some more modern venues as well. We visited 5 of the 31 and I am ready for more. Lunch in Wellington will amaze you to find such reasonable, fancy fare in a picturesque setting. If time allows, there are two artisan cheese companies offering tasting near Picton. (Another 1/2 hour up the road.) They are small, but packed with yummy offerings. We found a ‘50s style dairy that had an old-fashioned malt to die for. (that was dinner) All make for an eclectic mix of small town country charm, fancy food, unique wines and an unpretentious Ontario experience that promises many of life’s treasures.

Here are my favourites....wish I had time to check out more:
-Sandbanks Estate Winery
-By Chadsey’s Cairns (MY FAV – HAVE EVENTS THERE)
-Wapoo - BEAUTIFUL - on the water. Bit of a drive but worth it. http://www.waupooswinery.com/
-Closson Chase
-Norman Hardie – More on the fine wine side...less on the scenic and ambience experience

Here is a website with more info: http://www.bringmywine.ca/prince_edward_county_wine.html

Enjoy this treasure before it gets too big.

Visited October 2010
2 Thank katbar

Ottawa, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Birthday Surprise!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

While spending the weekend in Picton for a wedding; my daughter & I decided to surprise my son with a wine tour thru PEC Wine Tours. We booked a full day of touring with lunch included and had a marvelous time. We were lucky enough to have Mary Dawn as our guide; and also were fortunate to be the only passengers in the van. She covered the entire area from The Waupoos to the Grange. We visited larger wineries, small wineries and the 5th Town Cheese Co. Mary Dawn was very accommodating....she basically catered to our every whim! We opted to have lunch at the Waupoos Winery and were very pleased with our choice: great food, wine and service. We bought lots of wine, some cider, some beer and yummy cheese. What a great way to spend a day!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank sandiamos
Ottawa ON
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great wine tour!”
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We spent Easter weekend in Picton and asked our hotel to book us a wine tour for the Saturday afternoon. They booked us on the half day tour with Prince Edward County Wine and Culinary Tours. Our tourguide, Gilles, picked six of us up at our hotel and took us on a short architectural tour in Picton. It was very informative and even though I'm not much into architecture, I quite enjoyed learning about the history of this pretty loyalist town. We then visited a winery for a tasting in town. From there we picked up an additional 5 people and the 11 of us visited 4 more wineries. While it was a little crowded in the van, the distances were short so it was okay.

My husband and I have been on wine tours in many different countries and I have to say that this one proved to be one of the best. Gilles, the guide, was very knowledgeable, not only about wine but also about the area, the history and the architecture. The wineries we visited were very welcoming and the tours we were take on were very informative.

Overall, I highly recommend Prince Edward County Wine and Culinary Tours if you're in the area and interested in learning a little more about it. Plus, you can enjoy the wines because you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.

6 Thank Stang1sk