“Charming Gourmet Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Kitchener, Canada
“Charming Gourmet Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

After a matinee at the Playhouse Theatre in Grand Bend to celebrate my partner's birthday, we were in the mood to extend our weekend and, as we have always wanted to stay here, took a chance and got lucky. The staff are wonderful and very patient; I managed to lock us out of our room by doing the very thing they told me not to do - twice!- and they graciously let me back in both times. We were in the annex across the street from the main inn in a lovely building that contained a kitchen with an ice machine, a sunken lounge with fireplaces, a piano and an organ, board games and books and comfy, cosy seating areas scattered around a large space. I could imagine how welcoming it would be to come back to after a day of snowmobiling. We were very pleased with our room; it had a small sitting area with a fireplace and sliding glass doors to a large balcony. The loft bedroom had a very comfortable queen bed and the bathroom had a sunken two-person jetted tub. The plumbing is very slow and the toilet doesn't always flush the first or second time but perserverance pays off. If you need alot of water pressure when you shower - as I do - you won't get it here, but if you can work around that there are compensations. The food is incredible! The dining areas are in the main inn and make great use of the age of the place; lots of stone and wood and crooked walls and floors. The chef is very gifted and creative and everything from the amuse bouche to the dessert was delicious. We were offered a complimentary glass of champagne with our dessert and they had taken the time to write "Happy Birthday" on my partner's plate - he was really impressed with that!
Our breakfast was included in the price; as was our dinner which made this place one of the most reasonable we have ever stayed at; and was delivered to our room so we could enjoy it on our deck. I had the lobster eggs benedict and would go back just for that.
The inn, a very short walk from the beach, sits in a heritage area with lots of boutiques and restaurants and is - like all good Ontario resort towns- a walk through history that's been spruced up a bit.
This is a charming place to stay and if you can handle the odd plumbing problem you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: I think they are on a septic system so anywhere you stay the plumbing will be sluggish.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for 2 days in September to celebrate my husbands 50th BD. Bayfield is such a quaint little town, and the the Inn is also very quaint. The staff are all so friendly. Our cottage was so warm and welcoming. We used the fireplace and the jacuzzi. The beds were so comfy. It is so quiet, got some great sleep. Cloudy so didn't see the sunset, but walked the beach. Had flowers and balloons in our room from Cyndi's garden, the were beautiful. Breakfast was delicious, dinner kinda of fancy for our taste, but looked very pretty, they did everything they could to accomodate us, they also gave us a free glass of champagne to celebrate. We were recommended this Inn by another couple that stayed and we would also recommend. Relax and enjoy!

Also you can park at the inn and walk to all the shops. There are lots of different shops, also a liquor store, pharmacy, foodland, corner store...everything you need. Make sure to take the walk to the beach.

London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night to celebrate our anniversary. We booked with the last minute deal (as we had to cancel a previous reservation we had elsewhere) so our only option was a Select Suite in the cottage across the road. We would have preferred a Select Suite in the main inn as the rooms looked a bit nicer online. At first we were somewhat disappointed when we saw our room, but it did grow a bit on us. However, it is definitely dated and in need of some upgrading. The carpet is old, the furniture is very tired, and the bathroom with "jacuzzi tub" needs improving. The bathtub was cracked and old, and we thought it was strange that there was no separate shower. Since the bathtub was sunken, you had to step down into the shower and since there was no curtain, it was quite cold when showering, even with the little heat lamp above you. The bedroom loft area was nice, but I definitely would have preferred a larger room with bathroom on the same level as the bedroom. The little outdoor balcony was fine. What we enjoyed the most was the restaurant and included dinner and breakfast. The starters were great especially the heirloom beet salad. They made me a special vegetarian main dish which was good, and the desserts were wonderful. Their wine list is extensive and quite good. I love that they use local and organic ingredients with all their meals and that everything is made in house. The breakfast the next morning was also very good. The pastries and baked goods were our favourite. The servers were also excellent as were the rest of the staff. Overall we had a good stay and really enjoyed Bayfield, but I think for the regular rate they charge, the rooms are not really up to par.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Little Inn during Labor Day weekend. The Inn is cosy and well maintained, could use a little sprucing up (as some others here have suggested). But nevertheless it has character and charm, reminded me of some of the inns in England. Service is attentive and professional without being intrusive, just the right balance.

What made the trip really special was the dinner we had at the Inn. The food was beautifully presented and illustrated the chef's keen insight on flavour and texture . This was undoubtedly the best meal we've had in Ontario, far better than the so called haute restaurants in Toronto. The mediocre Toronto chefs could learn a lesson from the Inn's chef about balancing flavour and texture and not doing too much with the ingredients. The lamb rib eye with okra and beets was my favourite. The hot breakfast in the morning was also cooked to perfection. Recommend the french toast and the pancakes.

Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend away celebrating our 10th anniversary. Before we booked, I read many reviews that complained about the food at the Inn, so I was very nervous about this aspect of the trip. I have to say "Where were those people eating?". I am a vegetarian and am very picky about what I eat so when we booked, we mentioned my dietary requirements, as well as some of my "dislikes" to the staff. When we arrived for our dinner, I was served one of the best vegetarian entrees I have ever eaten in a restaurant. It was tasty, filling and very creative. In fact, all of the food we ate at the Inn (breakfast, snacks and dinner) was delightful, bordering haut cuisine, as well as being very generous portions.

The Inn itself was quaint, with a cozy parlour to cuddle up in on a rainy afternoon and enjoy a board game and a complimentary pot of tea (a nice thing with the unfortunate weather we had on our stay).

The staff were friendly and accommodating from the moment we arrived right up until check out. We were very impressed with the happy and attentive service we received.

My only suggestion for improvement at the Inn would be that some of the soft furnishings could use a little sprucing up. Our first impression of our room was that it was a little more shabby than chic. But, it grew on us as we were so impressed with the cozy feel and charm of the place. Some new carpeting and sofas would be a welcome improvement and would bring the first impression up to par with the lasting one.

Thanks for a great weekend!!

Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We just returned from four days at the Little Inn and would like to provide this review while the memories are fresh. The staff are terriffic. Each of the staff members was courteous and caring. The room servicing was timely and more than adequate. The food was very good, but the dinner menu needs some variety, especially in the entree department.
Where the wheels fall off are the easy things for them to address but they don't seem motivated to do so which is not a staff problem but a management one. For example they have a lovely garden patio to sit in, but the furniture is cheap junk and worse it is dirty junk. Ants everywhere and when I mentioned it, ho hum. The room furniture is not comfortable nor are the chairs clean. The fireplace was not operable. The so called jacuzzi tub is more of a wading pond for kids and the shower is not only crappy but getting in and out is dangerous at least in the Florence Walton Suite. We may return but not to use that room. No TV in the loft bedroom is a downer as is the climb down the stairs if you need to go in the night...another dangerous condition they could easily fix with a proper handrail. The carpets in the hall ways are worn out with obvious stains and burn holes . The main floor common area in the cottage building is very nice.
There are lots of positives...the staff, the general atmosphere and the town itself is just great. The Little Inn can fix their problems in days not even weeks and it would greatly enhance their guests' experience.

Room Tip: cottage building rooms with a loft bedroom are not guest friendly
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent the week travelling across Ontario staying at several Inns. With out question, we enjoyed our stay at The Little Inn the most. From the moment we were greeted at reception, we were treated the utmost respect and care. Our suite, in the guest cottage was quaint and clean featuring a whirlpool and private veranda. Our meals were cooked to perfection and service we received on the patio was truly beyond expectation. It was getting close to dusk between our main and dessert. Our server recommended that we take in Bayfield's world famous sunset, offering to personally bring our desserts to our suite across the street after the sun went down. We graciously accepted her offer and enjoyed our incredible dessert, on our private veranda. With out hesitation, I would recommend the Little Inn for a truly pampered getaway.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pgw78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
The Ashwood Inn
#3 of 9 in Goderich
Oakwood Resort
Oakwood Resort
#2 of 4 in Grand Bend

Been to The Little Inn of Bayfield? Share your experiences!