“Warm and Inviting”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Good food and beer in a warm and comfortable setting. We had a calamari appetizer that was delicious, along with a burger and soup. Fancier fare is also available. The walls are loaded with an excellent selection of Scotch. While the selection of bottled and draft beer was wide and varied, they could use more Ontario and Quebec micro-brews. I did find an excellent Broadhead Pale from the Ottawa Valley. Service was quick and efficient. Less fancy and expensive than either the Red Pump or Little Inn.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We love The Blackdog and have lunch here whenever we make the drive up to Bayfield from Grand Bend. They have an outstanding selection of draft beer (one of the best I have seen) and very interesting and delicious menu items. I love their burgers (1/2lb and awesome), escargot and wild mushrooms, and their grilled veggie sandwich. The patio is great if it's a nice day, but the inside seating has lots of character so it's always good. Never been disappointed at The Blackdog!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were cottaging in Bayfield and stopped at the Black Dog Bistro for dinner. The service was excellent, friendly, attentive. Decor was nice, looked like an Irish pub, with lots of Scotch bottles lining the walls. I was surprised at the choice of music for an Irish pub though, American Jazz. Back to the food. Appetizer was mushrooms with double creme brie cheese on a toasted baguette, was soo good. For main I had the pan roasted chicken breast supreme. Nice and juicy, just a bit over salted. They served seasonal veggies, which was roasted broccoli and beets and peepers. Im not a fan of broccoli but love beats so I asked if I could exchange the broccoli for more beets. Our server said yes, but when I got my meal I ended up with no beets and all broccoli, lol I ate it anyways, roasting the veggies gave it a great taste. For desert we shared a double chocolate piece of cake smothered in sauce, so good. The food presentation was very nice, service friendly, would definitely go again if we were in that area again.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Beers on tap are varied and you get to try a taster before committing. Knowledgeable staff. Tiny bit of cheese on the charcuterie tray that seemed expensive at $24 as did a plate of French fries at $6. Food is presented well and consistent across several visits.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is not your typical pub - at least not based on the menu/food. Dishes are given a higher-end flair and the service is definitely at a higher standard. Good selection of lesser-known brews help this "bar" to stand out. I got a bad vibe from the hostess, but the service staff inside were terrific and we were approached by several different staff members asking about our food and offering refills, etc. I had the pulled pork burrito which was tasty, though the pork itself was a tad dry. The flavours provided by the sauce, guacamole, etc more than made up for it. The Spanish tapas starter was also very tasty.