“It's OK but far from #1 or Aurora isn't the place for gastronomy...”
Review of bijoy's restaurant

bijoy's restaurant
Ranked #3 of 154 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: www.bijoysrestaurant.com
Toronto, Canada
“It's OK but far from #1 or Aurora isn't the place for gastronomy...”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Not knowing what I wanted for dinner, I decided to check on TA for what's around me north of Toronto. After discussing with my wife, we decided to try Bijoy's since it was #1 and with so many excellent reviews.
It's a converted house tucked away off a side street that divides the commercial buildings that face Yonge St. and the residential part of the neighbourhood.
I like the quaint charm of it and the cozy feel of the place but was confused with the menu. I would say it's British, Indian, Canadian, French ... fusion ... for a lack of better terms. Not sure if the combo works.
OK. Let's get down to the food, since this is a restaurant review.
We ordered a sampling of foods. The crab cakes, smoked salmon spiral, morrocan soup, striploin streak with risotto. They were out of the mussels and the ribeye - so we settled for other items.
The soup was ok. It tasted like a water-downed curry with some cinnamon spices added to it. Could have been better.
The crabcake was a disappointment. It was grey and brown and falling apart. It was like some kid put together a sand and mud patty and served it. The taste was bland.
Settled on the Smoke Salmon Spirals because of the lack of mussels. Again, another disappointment. It's basically strips of smoked salmon with some cream chesse wrapped in a Dempster's whole wheat tortilla and cut into uneven circles. Passable taste. They could have used a roti or something else than a stale, store bought wrap.
The striploin was ordered medium but it came out well done on one end and medium well on the other. Was not juicy and tough in some areas. This usually happens when the steak was frozen and and cooked before complete thaw. The fact that they seem to lack a grill and it had weak grill marks makes me wonder if Joe Foreman worked his magic on my steak. I don't mind a good flatiron steak if they could do it right. The mushroom risotto was pretty good - give me a whole plate of that!
Dessert was interesting. My wife chose the blueberry soufflé. It was one of the most interesting soufflé I've ever seen. Can't really describe it. If you are looking for a french crème soufflé - this is definitely not one to get. Tasted ok on the outside but the inside was less than baked and it was still much like runny eggs.
We still finished our food somewhat - we were pretty hungry overall - but didn't enjoy too much. We were eating for the sake of eating.
Why still 3/5 - eventhough I took an axe to the whole menu?
The service was great and they really do run a great operation. They had 2 dozen guests and many were repeat clientele. The other diners were enjoying their meals.
Maybe I ordered the wrong stuff or what I expected from a British/French/Indian/Canadian Gourmet confused place in Aurora, Ontario, is way off the mark!
Will I find Joy at Bijoy's if I went back. Unlikely a return visit is in the future but I don't think they will miss my patronage.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank WearyWanderer_TO

toronto
“lovely spot”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

this little tucked away restaurant is a lovely place for lunch or dinner. The menu has many good options, the food is reat and it is a nice place to linger.

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Must be me, I guess...”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

After reading all the great reviews, I finally decided to try this restaurant for lunch.
Man, was I disappointed!

Great (somewhat hidden) location, nice old charming house, cozy atmosphere, great service, but the food did absolutely nothing for me!
I am a "meat and potatoes"/Asian/pasta type of guy who loves sauces, and I didn't even finish my meal because I simply didn't like it, it had no flavour. Both the soup and the main dish were bland, I didn't try any dessert.
I may come back to try breakfast, but not lunch or dinner.

1 Thank raggarbil
Aurora, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Wonderful dinner. Small and quaint. The lamb was so tender and flavourful and the beef tenderloin was delicious. We would certainly recommend Bijoys.

• Visited February 2014
Toronto
“Wonderful Food”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have enjoyed every visit we have made to this restaurant. We live in town and visit frequently. Food is very fresh and prepared well. Desserts are great too. It can be a little cramped for space, so we hesitate to take small children there, but for adults it is fine.

• Visited February 2014