“Totally Disagree with Mateia's review”

Scorpion Mediterranean Bar and Grill
Ranked #4 of 156 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Greek, Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a member of the Aurora/Newmarket community and an avid fan of Scorpion restaurant, I felt compelled to respond to Mateia's review. Having had the opportuntiy to travel to many parts of the world and experience many fine restaurants both abroad and here in Canada, I have to completely disagree with Mateia's comments about Scorpion.

We are very fortunate to have a restaurant of Scorpion's quality here in Aurora/Newmarket!

We just finished having dinner at the restaurant tonight and one of our dishes was the braised beef short ribs with pasta. The ribs were amazing and the pairing with the pasta and tomato sauce was delicious. What we appreciate most about the menu is the many tapas offerings. Recognizing we eat at the restaurant at least once a week, it is great to have so many choices which make no two weeks the same. Not to mention, each and every dish is of the highest quality.

For anyone reading the trip advisor reviews for Scorpion, I encourage you to try this restaurant. Anyone who understands food will most definitely enjoy thier food and experience at this restaurant. We have been to many bad restaurants and Scorpion is definitley NOT one of those!

1  Thank LM-Grazie
There are newer reviews for Scorpion Mediterranean Bar and Grill

Reviewed December 2, 2012

having recently relocated to canada from barcelona, i have found myself unimpressed by the standard of restaurants in newmarket and aurora. at least though, we are close enough to toronto to have a decent meal out. i love to dine, have done so all over the world as well as written for various publications on the subject.

i was very excited to try scorpion, as i had heard great things about the chef and would've been delighted to not have to drive all the way downtown everytime i'd like to dine. unfortunately the only thing that was worth experiencing at this restaurant is the fine flamenco that the very talented guitarist was playing.

scorpion was one disappointment to the next. from their disaster of a wine list (overpriced, little variety, poor quality, not rounded in the least) to the waitress boasting their "fantastic specialty beer from spain", estrella (what a joke--this is the spanish equivalent of molsen canadian).
i still, however, had faith, even after the restaurant raised two more red flags: there is a television in the dining room (tacky: showcasing reruns of the "chef" on a local station) and the other flag being the amount of menu ítems. Any restaurant that features a menu of that many ítems, most likely can not execute any of them properly. cooking 101: pick a genre, pick a philosophy, pick a region. know what you're doing. if you know what you're after, then you will be more likely to succeed at it...or at the very least produce something that has sense to it.

the dishes we had made no sense. what the hell is ravioli doing on a plate with brisket?? and the other main we had was so kitchen sink, i couldn't even tell you what was in it. the food we were served lacked any apparent culinary knowledge. they were clunky, unthoughtful, uncreative, incohesive and bottom-line just tasted plain bad (...and gave us stomach aches throughout the night and next morning).

all three plates that were ordered were covered in balsamic glaze. this is mickey mouse cooking from the 90s at best...to call it "culinary" is a lie and to charge what they do is robbery. they are capitalising on the assumption that suburban folk don't know any better than to equate a european name to being one who knows food. (same reason paella and sangría are tourist trape in barcelona.)

needless to say i will be continuing to make the journey downtown when i feel the urge to dine.

1  Thank mateia
Marcello27-11, Owner at Scorpion Mediterranean Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank TripAdviser for letting me reply to this review. As a chef, owner and member of the community it is my responsibility to correct the misrepresentation of my restaurant. While no restaurant is perfect, at Scorpion we always welcome constructive criticism so that we can continuously aim to be our best.

This client came in on Saturday December, 1st @ 7 pm, without a reservation on a sold out night. Our manager went out of her way to accommodate them within a window of time. They appeared to be pleased by our gesture, ordered multiple glasses of red wine, Truffle Risotto to share as an appetizer, and followed by our Pistachios Orange Roughy & Braised Malbec Short Ribs with Veal Ravioli, a traditional family recipe. They also appeared to enjoy the food so much that there wasn’t a scrap left on their plates. I could remember the couple having a great time full of laughter and joy. While this couple was getting ready to pay for their meals, the individuals complemented my ability and professionalism.

My staff and I find it so hard and unpleasant to believe that someone could turn their back and write such a harsh, discriminatory and unfair publication after experiencing our warm hospitality. I couldn’t help but notice how biased this review is and it reads as if it is compromised by her emotions and motive.

Regarding her undeserved comments about the wine list and our stunning menu, as a boutique restaurant we prefer to offer a more tailored wine offering that pairs well with our distinctive flavors. While the menu may appear to have a vast selection, it is suitable for the limited number of seats we have in the restaurant and is typical of a tapas style restaurant. We are really proud of our identity, uncommon & uniqueness concept.

Most offensive in this review is the attack on my credentials as a professional master chef. I pride myself as having achieved gold status in the culinary world, continuos teaching at college level and developed many successful enterprise.
This opinion will not hinder our operation and we’ll continue to provide our professional and friendly service to those willing to accept it. We are always looking forward to introduce new people to our extraordinary menu and satisfy their tastebuds.

With Love The Scorpion Chef

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The food is unique and delicious. Great atmosphere and service. I have been several times and never tire of the amazing selection. Small and family like but professional at the same time. Make sure to make a reservation!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

What a wonderful experience! Seafood was delicious and the chocolate dessert was to die for!!!! A great restaurant in Aurora that embodies the love and passion for the culinary arts and a truly lovely atmosphere! Would definitely come back again!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I recenly visited this little gem of a restaurant located in Aurora on a special occasion.
The menu is original and everything was in house created. It was very apparent that by speaking to Chef Marcello that he took a great deal of pride and was extremely passionate about the food he created.
It was very refreshing to be be served food that had such incredible taste and so fresh, with creativity and tantalizing flavours to every dish we ate, and we had many!
We started with the crispy bread, saganaki and house made dips which are unlike anything else you will find anywhere. Grilled calamari, and mussels where amazing.
The paella was the best we've ever had!
We are looking forward to our next and can't wait to try some of the othere menu items!

1  Thank KiwiMarkham