“Not Good for a Birthday” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rousseau House Restaurant

Rousseau House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rousseau House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 59 Restaurants in Ancaster
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Toronto
“Not Good for a Birthday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were sixteen there to celebrate a family birthday. They use linen tablecloths but fail to set the table, wrapping all the silverware in the linen napkins. Group prix fixe menu: soup or salad...acceptable but the serving time was extended since only one server for the group. The additional silverware is unceremoniously dumped in front of you. Most places usually have an "all hands on board" when the entrees are served to get them out quickly but not the management here. My medium rare lamb was lukewarm by the time he placed all sixteen plates on the table. Not bad but I would have liked it more if it was hot. Pickerel was good too but the beef tenderloin looked frozen and dry, not fresh. Some confusion over the description of the potato course and what was actually served. Dessert was choice of one: white chocolate creme brule which was achingly sweet and overcooked to a grainy finish. Since it was a birthday party, they served a specially ordered chocolate cake but could not muster the decency to supply a single candle. Considering the cost of the dinner, not to mention the four bottles of wine and the mandatory tipping, is a birthday candle so much to expect? Little things DO matter.

2 Thank Nancy M

• Arabic first
Hamilton
“ladies brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My sister's and I took our mother to the Rousseau for brunch on Sunday. This was their first time dining there and my second and we would go back in a heartbeat! 2 of us ordered the omelet and lobster quiche and both were made to perfection! I'm particular about eggs in a restaurant because I've had bad experiences before but both were amazing! Were already planning our next visit! The service was very welcoming as well as the atmosphere. Can't wait to eat there again!

1 Thank Ashley N
Hamilton, Canada
“Elegance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We enjoyed a tasty dinner on my birthday. The service was lovely and the setting beautiful. I found the food the year before at Shaver House a little tastier.

1 Thank Marilyn W
Grand Valley, Ontario
“Dont bother with Rousseau's. Not worth it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

My brother's and I took Mom out for Mother's Day brunch. Sat in the solarium. Did enjoy the room. Waitress was friendly but a bit elusive. Lunch was average. Three of us had seafood quiche...the WORST QUICHE I have ever had. Don't bother ordering. Salad on plate was good so that was a saving grace. Eggs Benedict was very average. Only one who liked their meal was brother who ordered a burger.
We complained about the quiche so that was taken off our bill which I did appreciate and believed to be the right thing to do. Pretty disappointing meal. The take out line at the Tim Horton's across the street looked more appealing. Wouldn't go back.

3 Thank Joanne A
Ancaster, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Evening out with the adults”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

They played classical music for me at my request. They changed the menu items for us. THe wine list was great and they suggested various items that would complement the food.

Visited April 2013