“Great Pasta, Nice Service, Good Atmosphere”
Review of Cavallo Nero

Cavallo Nero
Ranked #4 of 62 Restaurants in Ancaster
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We've eaten at Cavallo a number of times, and never been disappointed. From their classics to spaghetti and meatballs to the flatbread and chicken, the presentation and taste has been very enjoyable. The two notable areas that require attention are timing and desserts. Each time we've ordered appetizers before our mains, the entrée has arrived while we're about 50% through the apps. This can easily be resolved with a bit more communication between front and back of house: kitchen and servers. Not waiting too long for food is nice, but it's possible to err on the other side of that spectrum as well, especially when enjoying a quiet evening with someone special.
Now regarding their desserts, I believe things are improving in this area. My past experiences have not been dreadful, they just left me hoping for a bit more from house-made desserts. Their peanut butter chocolate decadence sounded delicious, but was far too salty the time I tried it, and their lemon dessert had a questionable presentation. However, as I mentioned, I believe they have worked on their dessert menu to the point that I will be giving it another try next time I'm there, which I truly hope is soon.

There are newer reviews for Cavallo Nero

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Our large group of friends decided we would give Cavallo Nero a try for a midweek luncheon. Everyone was very pleased with their selection from Cavallo's extensive menu. Service was top notch. Salads were fresh, food was piping hot, fish and seafood were done to perfection. I will definitely order the calamri and polento fries again. We will definitely return.

1  Thank Leakyroof
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We live very close to Cavallo Nero and we hoped that it would improve over time. Last evening we had a lovely meal. We shared the appetizers, the calamari was tender, the battered shimp tastey and the polenta fries very interesting and yummy. Hubby then had the Gnocchi with sausauge with just the right amount of heat and I had a very tender, fall off the bone lamb shank with cabernet reduction sauce, veg and creamy mashed potato. Our waitress was very accomodating, she was attentive without being obtrusive. A hearty meal for a very cold subzero Ancaster evening. It was topped by a bottle of Giocondo Brunello, and our chit chat with the waitress resulted in a little chocolate cake surprise as it was my birthday. We Loved it. Great dinner. We will be back!

1  Thank AndieCanada
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I had been to this restaurant in the past and didnt enjoy it but i had heard from friends to try it again as at the beginning they had some stuff to work on, but now are greatly improved. I loved it the next time i went and was greatly impressed. Food and Service was great and i plan on heading back soon!

1  Thank annie t
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've been to this restaurant a few times in hopes that they would do something about their menu. The atmosphere is really nice, great service and amazing starter bread but that's about it. I have tried different things on the menu and nothing to write home about. I most recently ordered the lamb shank and I was very disappointed. The entire meal was tasteless and I had to keep adding salt.

My friends with me who had pasta were not impressed either. The waitress knew we weren't satisfied and didn't even offer a free dessert or something else. We were not impressed.