“EMBARRASSED I've never been here before!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cavallo Nero

Cavallo Nero
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Ancaster
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ancaster, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“EMBARRASSED I've never been here before!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I came on a weekday evening, and the place was packed! We didn't have a reservation, but the lovely girl at the door was able to accommodate us after a pleasant wait at the bar where we were promptly severed a special $5 house wine upon the recommendation of the bartender (they have several house wines on their list!) The interior is very inviting, and classy with almost a Manhattan feel to the place. We were seated and ordered each a salad to start and shared a mushroom and chicken pasta, as well as a veal stuffed chicken. Our meals arrived in a timely fashion, and server was very efficient, and friendly. Everything was delightful, and we cannot wait to come back again. Regrettably, we didn't have time to allow for dessert, but my friend swears the have the best carrot cake in the world! I'll be back for sure to check it out!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sally B

• Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious American-Italian Fusion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I've visited Cavallo Nero on multiple occassions. This is a great place to dine, particularly on Thursday evenings in the summer months (June-August) when the restaurant has live Jazz music on the lovely court-yard like and smoke-free (yay!) patio.

The food is italian-inspired, but not traditional italian. Meals have an American-style feel to them. That being said, you'll still find your pastas and cozzes on the menu. Every night there is a delicious in-season special that's not on the regular menu.

Things I love about this restaurant: complimentary bread and oil, and the manager/chef Doug who often comes by the table to see how your visit is going!

• Visited February 2013
Ancaster, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our second visit to Cavallo Nero. We went on a Tuesday night, service felt rushed, waitress took quite some time to get to us, and never even asked if we wanted a drink. Most disappointing was our meal. The soup of the day (turkey vegetable) had 2 slivers of turkey and tasted like something out of a can or watered down. My main course, pasta with beef tenderloin in a cream gorgonzola sauce was inedible. The meat tasted like worcestershire sauce and it permeated the entire dish. There was no sign or taste of gorgonzola and just about no sauce. So pasta that tasted like a marinade. I did notify the waitress, but a very hurried sorry was all I got. I ended up just having dessert and went home with a bad taste in my mouth and disappointment. Like the decor, but perhaps a Tuesday night is not their best night.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank L S
Hamilton, Canada
“Birthday Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I made arrangements to have my wife's birthday party with friends at Cavallo Nero because I heard really good things about the place. They were so kind to have us and they seated 20 to 25 of us in the front room. I was not sure what my friends might say after they had their visit but to my amazement it was all good, the food, the service and most of all my wife really enjoyed herself. That was my main concern. As they say...happy wife, happy life.
Thanks to all the staff for making our day so special.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Norman C
hamilton
“Not meant for a large gathering”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I find it hard to judge this restaurant only on its food but on its overal experience for myself and co workers. There were 18 of us from work gathering for our annual Christmas party, we had made reservations and had chosen this restaurant mainly because of its private room. Its hard to find a place that can hold 18 people in a private room instead of being in the middle of the restaurant where everyone can hear you and see you. Supposedly there was some miscommunication and the restaurant thought we would have less people then we did. The private room did fit us but we were snug as a bug as we spent a few hours trying to enjoy ourselves. My one real complaint is we should have had 2 servers instead of just one. The waitress tried but when you have 18 people with 18 orders of food plus drink orders, repeat drink orders plus different appetizers coming and going its hard for any one server to juggle all of that. Some co workers didnt get there drink orders quickly or were just forgotten about or it came very late into the meal. I cant speak for all 18 meals but I know my meal was outstanding and the side salad that came with it was fresh and tangy. The restaurant is very nice, nice decor, prices in my opinion are below average for fine dining and if your looking for a place to go and eat out I think place is solid for that, perhaps a little tweaking on serving group parties but overall good food with good prices. I would say most of my co workers were happy with there meal it was just the service that most of us had problems with.

• Visited December 2012