“Terrible! Where was the chicken in the General Tao?”
Review of House Of China

House Of China
Ranked #156 of 227 Restaurants in Ajax
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Should have known that the food would be terrible, answered the phone in an unprofessional manner. My wife and I ordered General Tao, Vegetables with beef and almonds... I am still looking for the chicken, the batter was rubbery and tasted like it was cooked in oil that was overdue for a change. I won't bother saying anymore, this was the worse food experience I have had in 10 years, Save your money, order from someone else or cook your own.

3  Thank JBISKD
There are newer reviews for House Of China

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am local to this restaurant and would like to add my voice to explain how awesome this place truly is. When I first moved to Ajax, I would walk past with raised eyebrows, wondering why anyone would enter that drab, rundown storefront, where you can't even eat in. But the food is simply the best Canadian Chinese food I've eaten. You can customize the spicing if you like your food hot. I particularly recommend the Mongolian beef, General Tao chicken and spicy eggplant with deep-fried tofu (trust me). You get a lot of food for your money, and you'll save 10% if you pick it up and pay cash. I've heard that some people who move away from here will drive a fair distance to eat this food just one more time. Their website is great, too.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Don't be fooled by this old looking restaurant.
This has been an Ajax staple for over 20yrs, and there is a reason for it. Their food is delicious and their prices are reasonable.
We have ordered from other places before, and it just is subpar compared to House of China. We now only order from here. They have a very wide variety of food that would please any picky eater.
Yes, the building is run down, but the food is not.
Give it a try, you'll be happy you did.

1  Thank Cheryl T
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have been ordering from house of china for years. It's by far the best Chinese in ajax I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

They are run by an elderly couple, best chinese food in ajax. I recently moved here and I've tried a few places but keep coming back here to order. Freshest tasting and looking, it's great.

They have a large long menu of items to pick from, tho sometimes I think they forget what they have listed, but either way the food arrives hot and fast. I ordered 40 bucks in food and it was at my door in 20 minutes, thats insane. On the phone he will ask exactly how many packets of soy sauce, mustard, hot sauce etc you want, one by one. A little odd, but whatever the prices are good and it tastes better than anything else in durham.

1  Thank SicJake