“homecooking flavours, and warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Kitchen

The Red Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 220 Restaurants in Ajax
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Whitby, Canada
“homecooking flavours, and warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

always welcomed with a smile, time for a little chat, even when busy...which it seems to be more and more each day. Started their new place here in Ajax just a few months ago. I love that they do make adjustments to most items on the menu, as requested, and they remember this. Lovely visit always...closed Sundays, but our go to place for lunch and supper.

• Visited July 2014

Ontario
“A Great Thai Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Red Kitchen is a great little Thai restaurant on Harwood Ave in Ajax, Ontario. We have visited the restaurant several times since it has opened and we have enjoyed it each time. Food is very flavourful and fresh tasting. Prices are very reasonable. Service is friendly. It is run by May and Arthur - server and chef, respectively. They really make you feel welcome. The tropical spicy chicken and the red thai curry beef we had this evening were very good. They have a range of spicy foods and a range of less spicy foods - so it will appeal to all appetites. The restaurant is nicely decorated. Give this relatively new restaurant a try. You will enjoy it.

• Visited June 2014
Ajax, Canada
“Will give it another try later”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

I really wanted to like this restaurant, service was prompt and polite. Our Vietnamese spring rolls were great, the bride's pad thai was very good. My seafood green curry was o.k. but the calamari is rubbery. killed the whole meal. Price was right on,

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ajax-Ian12
Oshawa, Canada
“The food continues to be great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Red Kitchen has been open for a while now, maybe 6 months and the food is great! Why do I say the food continues to be great is that the owners previously had a restaurant in Pickering, they retired and then got back into the business. The chef is great and you will never not be greeted warmly when you walk through the door. The lunch menu is the best value, $8 for spring rolls, main dish (including rice) and a drink. You gotta try the ginger chicken.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Gary Y
Toronto
“The Spiciest Thai Dish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

For long, I have been on the hunt for Thai restaurants that serve really spicy food -- the Thai way. Unfortunately, I have to concede that so far in Canada I have not found any 'authentic' Thai restaurant. The spiciest Thai foods I have had so far are from two restaurants -- one in Vienna, Austria, and the other in Jaco, Costa Rica.
So, when I saw a new joint, called Red Kitchen, open up in Ajax, it was time for a try but I have to concede I was too sceptical. I was ready to settle for a decent East Asian dinner.

APPETIZER
I ordered Tom Yum soup and the plate of Thai spring rolls for appetizers. The soup was warm and contained the usual ingredients and the sour taste of lime juice. The chef was not stingy with shrimps. The spring rolls, also with shrimps and vegetables, were crisp and fresh. They came with sweet and sour as well as peanut sauces.

MAIN COURSES
For the main meal, we went for Nasi Goreng (fried rice) and Thai-style spicy red beef curry.
I asked the waitress how spicy it will be and she assured me they can make it very spicy but only on the condition that I cannot return the dish should I find it too hot for my taste.
It was not a problem for me.
In some places you know that the chilli paste or, worse still, chilli powder, was added later-on to the almost cooked or cooked meal. Because the last additions did not mix and cook well, the dish tastes raw and awful, not to talk about the negative effect it can have on the stomach.
But at Red Kitchen it was a different story: the sauce was spicy and in addition, I could also see the small pieces of chillies. What I liked was that the chilli strength had seeped into the curry, giving me the feeling that the sauce was almost fresh if not fresh made.
This was kind of crazy spicy but delicious.
The Nasi Goreng was decent and could have been enough for two people.

DESSERT
For dessert, ordered deep fried bananas with ice cream. It also came with its chef's special sauce. I would have preferred had the bananas been fried to a more golden color. The sauce could also have been more pronounced in its taste.
To sum it up, this is a restaurant worth a second visit. A good addition to Ajax.

• Visited January 2014