“Soso Place, Average to below average place”
Review of Sushi Mountain

Sushi Mountain
Ranked #125 of 235 Restaurants in Ajax
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2014

-Annoying on-repeat OLD KPOP list from like a couple years back
-Crappy battered tempura / calamari
-Nasty cheese wonton
-Fish doesn't always taste fresh
-Non-sushi dishes are average to below-average
-Cheap

2  Thank Julius E

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I've been eating sushi for about 15 years and, while this isn't the absolute worst sushi I've ever had, it definitely ranks low on the list.

I came here with my boyfriend on a Friday (yesterday, as a matter of fact), after reading the great reviews on this website and checking out the Sushi Mountain website, which listed their adult All-You-Can-Eat price at $19.99 (which is cheaper than our former hangout, Makimono). I'll say this now: This price is a lie. Sushi Mountain failed to update their prices on their website and it wasn't advertised anywhere in the restaurant. The price is actually $21.99. **AND** this is the type of all-you-can-eat that charges you for uneaten food! Be warned!

The restaurant is VERY quiet. Almost uncomfortably so. The host took us to the only available booth and literally flung the menu/all-you-can-eat sheets and pencil across the table. The booth we were in was in the back corner of the restaurant, which also happened to be the dish/drink station so we had servers being loud near our table for almost our entire meal.

We sat down and ordered water, which was promptly served to us...in plastic cups with straws. Really? Plastic cups? This place also features those awful wooden chopsticks. Even Makimono has upgraded to reusable, metal chopsticks. Not environmentally friendly at all.

Here is what we ordered:

Two miso soups
Salmon sashimi
Crab meat mango roll
Cucumber rolls
Spicy Salmon rolls

and we finished with two orders of green tea ice cream.

The miso soup was okay but towards the end, it had a very strange taste to it. Not very pleasant.

The tempura was standard fare. Neither amazing nor bad, just good.

I didn't eat the cheese wontons but my boyfriend told me they were good.

The seaweed in all the rolls (and the spicy salmon sushi) was either incredibly chewy, incredibly dry and crispy, or a combination of both. Very unpleasant.

The white tuna sushi had a very strange aftertaste to it. I almost spit it out.

The cucumber rolls also had a very strange aftertaste, but I choked them down.

The sashimi and salmon sushi were delicious. No complaints there.

The wasabi was watery and almost flavourless.

Now, the absolute, most unpleasant and disgusting part of the meal occurred when I ate my first spicy salmon roll. I was chewing away when I felt something very unpleasant and hard. I thought maybe it was the seaweed but eventually spat out the hard piece and realized it was a PIECE OF BONE from the salmon. I have NEVER experienced that in any sushi restaurant I've ever been to. It really put me off my meal and I didn't want to eat anymore at that point but I did not want to be charged for uneaten portions so I trudged on.

The service was mediocre. It felt as though the staff was hovering over our table. They were constantly standing by our table and, literally, as soon as we cleared a plate they would swoop in and take it. It didn't make for a relaxing meal. None of the staff members smiled, introduced themselves or seemed very pleasant at all.

Finally, at the end of our meal we ordered two green tea ice creams. They were served to us with PLASTIC SPOONS! I was in shock. We were paying over $50 for our meal and they give us plastic spoons? Given that the ice cream was almost rock hard, it was really hard to eat without fear of breaking our "cutlery."

We hadn't even finished eating our ice cream when a server ran to our table with the bill. How did they know we weren't going to order coffee or tea? I hate being rushed out of restaurants.

The bill came, and this is when we realized that the prices listed on Sushi Mountain's website were wrong. Neither of us were very impressed and as soon as we exited the restaurant, we both vowed to never return.

My stomach felt a bit off for the rest of the night. Not a good sign.

All-You-Can-Eat sushi restaurants in the Ajax/Pickering area have really dropped in quality. Sushi Mountain is one of the worst. Spend your money elsewhere.

3  Thank Samantha L
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We love this place. We go out as a family and as a group to this location. There is something for everyone, even for the non-sushi people in your party. We also grab take out platters when we don't have the time to sit in and the presentation and freshness of the fish is awesome. Very attentive service, refilling the water and tea constantly. Occasionally there is a missed dish, but we simply reorder and it arrives quickly. We especially like the hand rolls, spicy tuna rolls and Sea Dragon roll. We are also starting to appreciate the sushi pizza....spicy salmon is a big hit. I would score this place higher, but the décor is getting tired, especially the benches. Finish off your meal with a scoop of ginger or red bean ice cream.......if you have the room.

3  Thank Haggis678
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been to this location and Whitby's on a number of occasions, and I prefer the Ajax one, as it feels cleaner and brighter. Food always tastes fresh and the service is good. I like the variety that is offered. And, the fact that the portions of rice are not overwhelming so you do not feel immediately full. Nice choice. P.S. The red bean ice-cream is the best!

3  Thank TanyaM212
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Love this place if you're a sushi fan.
Service is very friendly and fast. My wife and I recently went to Makimono and after sitting and waiting for 10 minutes and not getting any response, just got up and left. There was another couple on a table next to us who had already gotten one round of food and were waiting to have their second order picked up from their table. When they saw us leave, they said "smart decision".

If you want fast, friendly and good service as well as a large variety of good sushi, Sushi Mountain is the place to go to.

3  Thank Rob D