“Fantastic seafood chowder”

Charlene's Bayside Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Relaxed diner, family friendly dining with hearty home cooked meals.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

By far, the absolutely BEST seafood chowder EVER! Small, friendly restaurant on Cape Breton, the staff is friendly, the chef is fabulous! Delicious food and wine too, and a wonderful experience.

There are newer reviews for Charlene's Bayside Cafe

Reviewed August 15, 2013

While vacationing in Cape Breton locals told us about Charlene's place...we had seen her on Gotta Eat here...so we were anxious to try it out...it did not disappoint...seafood chowder was awesome...Charlene came to our table and chatted with us, an overall wonderful dining experience....will certainly return once we revisit Whycocomagh....you gotta eat here!!!!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

2 friends and I thot of trying them after reading some good reviews abt the place on our way back from visiting Cape Breton. My friends are vegetarian so they first asked the server if they can make pesto alfrado-pasta without meat. The server said they can make that with more veges instead of Chicken. We sat down and asked for water. The server came back and informed us that they hv run out of pesto for the pasta. So my friends asked for just 1 portion and decided to share it. I ordered seafood chowder which was just ok (smelly though). Server brought our food and informed that she had already made 2 portions of pasta. So out of courtesy one of my friends asked the server for that second portion(kinda forced on us). The garlic bread was stale.. pasta is just okay.. Then we asked for the bill. On the bill v saw $ 4.5 for 3 glasses of water and $ 2+2 for the veges instead of chicken... That is when all of our joy from visiting the wonderful Cape Breton got ruined.. Pathetic place I must say !!

5  Thank Gurbir S
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place to have lunch so we checked nearby places on tripadvisor and this place came up as one of the top. The reviews as well as the restaurant's advertising really highlight their seafood chowder so I thought of giving it a try.
The chowder was OK but I think it is overrated... just be mindful of that.
In the end the bill was, in our opinion (living in Halifax and having visited many other cities and towns), somewhat high for the quality of the food.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I visited Charlene's Bayside Cafe in July during our trip to Cape Breton. We saw it on an episode of You Gotta Eat Here. It didnt look like much from the outside. In fact we almost missed it but when we got our food...OMG! It was terrific! The seafood chowder is fantastic! The best! And for dessert? Try the Bucket of Mud! Sooooooo yummy! The Food Network was right. You Gotta Eat Here!