“Quite Surprised”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whycocomagh
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Quite Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Didn't expect a super clean, up to date (big flat screen TV) motel on the highway. Very nice room to crash!! We were super tired after 11 hours of siteseeing and when I entered this room I was surprised to see exactly what I had hoped for. This motel is for crashing, nothing more nothing less. We had the room with the king size bed... Everything was new. You could tell!!

There was an expensive place to eat down the road a little bit the Auld Brass Door Restaurant. Loved the chowder!!

Room Tip: I can only talk about the King size bed room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Another year, another great stay at the Fair Isle Motel. Once again we enjoyed the super comfy beds, the pleasant decor, the tidy pool, and the view of the lake. And once again we were blown away by the kindness and charm of our lovely hostess Christena. The requests that we had (bottle openers, room change, extra stuff, directions, etc) were all dealt with laughter and patience.

We used it as a home base for three nights, and couldn't have been happier. Not to mention - that the best fish chowder that I've ever had in my very food-oriented life, was just down the road. Fabulous!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Plans changed and began looking online for a place to catch a few zz's before continuing on - and stumbled onto the Fair Isle website.

From the quick assessment of what I could see on the scant website - decided to take a chance. Unfortunately, the picture in my mind of a relatively new property, on the shore of Bras d'or - morning coffee on the deck with water lapping at my feet - well, real life did not live up to my overactive imagination.

The property is an old 'drive and sleep' motel with a face lift of new furnishings. The bathroom door wouldn't stay closed, the floors creaked and groaned as you walked across them and the walls are paper thin so there is a lot of, shall we politely say, 'sound transference'. The queen bed was newer and very firm, there was a large flat screen in the room and WIFI worked fine. The room looked clean in all the main areas - though when the bathroom door was pushed to a closed position, there was a nasty web behind the door - so you start to wonder: what else was being missed?

I will give this to them, it is a nice view of the lake - but you are on a hill, across the TransCanada from the lake (don't know where I got the lakeshore idea in my head?) - and the tranquility is broken (until late at night and starting again very early in the morning) by traffic noise. Though I was not in it, there was a good little pool there - big enough to swim a few strokes. I also noted a trampoline on site - if travelling with kids, another area where they could burn off some energy.

The gal making the reservation on the phone was very polite and professional and kind enough to stash a key for me since I was arriving after the office closed (apologies to other guests for my late arrival - given the way the sound traveled). The gal at checkout was also very polite and professional.

There was no breakfast included to try and help justify what might have been a fair price for a newer property. Given it was already after Labour Day and into the shoulder season, the discounted $85 +++ rate for the Morningdove room was very high and not a good value for an aging property - despite the facelifts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hawki56
fairislemotel, Manager at Fair Isle Motel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you for posting your review.
I apologize for the bathroom door and spider web as I too would be concerned as to what "else" could be wrong, however I can assure you that the web had been discovered after you had left by the Housekeeper as she cleaned the room. The door however had not been discovered, and unfortunately we had to hear about it from the guest that had stayed in it the next night. I politely ask of you and anyone to please notify Motel/Hotel Staff of any issues so they can be attended to immediately, not left for the next guest to discover and "wonder what else". The door had been fixed in under 5 minutes.
We do have a Beautiful View, and just as our online site shows, we are up on a hill. We Overlook the Bras d'Or Lake and even though you arrived after closing, I'm so glad you were able to experience it, hopefully enjoying coffee from your room and relaxing on the bench outside below your window. The idea of sipping coffee with water lapping at my feet sounds amazing and I so hope you were able to experience that !!
Again I apologize . Thanks for taking the time to write your review !! We take each one seriously and feedback is so important to us!!
Take care,
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We arrived late in the night having driven for hours from the Eastern Shore to be graciously greeted by Christina. We were offered incredibly helpful information about Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail that proved to be quite useful along our journey! The room was ideally located, clean, comfy, and quiet. We awoke well-rested with a beautiful view of the lake!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
fairislemotel, Manager at Fair Isle Motel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
""""Love It, Love It, Love It """" Thanks so much for sharing ! You can hear how refreshed you were in your words and proves we're moving in the right direction!!!! Thanks for taking the time to say so :)
Hope the rest of your summer was as wonderful !!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had originally booked chickadee doubles, and ended up getting a free upgrade. The room was very nice, nice tv.
We even had some time to swim in the pool, 8 ft deep and has diving board.
Christena is very nice, even took time to see our pics of moose on the skyline trail.
Great location, as we checked out early, and wanted to be closer to the pei ferry.
Upon driving through the Canso Causeway at 8:30 am, we say approx 20 dolphins frolicking in the bay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy L
Thanks Amy for the lovely review :) You're pictures were great and thanks so very much for sharing them with me. It's was so much fun to hear the excitement in your voice as you retold the story surrounding the moose pictures. So happy you enjoyed your upgrade. I know what it's like travelling with kids, and sometimes just the simpliest things can make the whole trip just a little bit better :) I'm jealous though, because as excited as I was to read you saw the Pilot Whales frolicking at the Canso Causeway, I have travelled that highway for 35 years and have yet to see anything like that hahahaha !!
Hope you and the kids enjoyed the rest of the summer !!! Thanks again Amy,
Smithville, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I found the staff very friendly, cheerful and helpful. When I enquired about restaurants I was given several recommendations including one which gave motel clients a 10% discount. The room was clean and comfortable. Great view of the lake. Close to the shops and restaurants of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Neale R
fairislemotel, Manager at Fair Isle Motel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hi Neale, Thanks so much for your review. As much as we love to hear that we are going in the right direction with the quality of our rooms, it's so exciting as a Manager to read a review that starts with our staff being " Very Friendly,Cheerful and Happy :)" I was once informed that every Friend was once a Stranger, and we treat all our guests with that thought in mind. So nice to hear it shows !! We are indeed very close to all the restaurants in Whycocomagh and our view is certainly breathtaking!!!
Thanks so much again for your kind words.
Safe travels,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This motel, although maybe not a destination in itself, was just what we needed when we got rained out of our campsite while touring the Cabot Trail. Conveniently located and very affordable, it's nothing fancy but the room was clean and the view out front was an added bonus. Although we didn't have time to use the pool, it looked very inviting. We did, however, use the picnic table they have set up in their nice yard to cook our breakfast on the camp stove and enjoy it while looking out over the Bras D'or Lake. The mini-fridge in the room also helped us with the contents of our cooler. The lady at the desk (I assume she's the manager) was extremely friendly and when we left something behind she was more than happy to send it to us. Staying here helped salvage our disappointing camping trip; a very nice experience overall.

1 Thank Miss_Daisy99
Hi Guys, glad you enjoyed your stay. The Chickadee Doubles you stayed in are clean, cozy and priced right for campers needing a break from the elements !! However, if fancy is what you desire, should you get the chance to visit us again, I encourage you to stay in either the Morning Dove or even better, our Kingfisher Luxury. Both are beautifully furnished and offer 40" flat screen T.V's as well state of the art Air Conditioning. The Kingfisher has Duvet bedding and the bathroom has a seperate Vanity and Bath. Quite fancy indeed. We have been told time and time again that the pictures online of our rooms do not do them justice, so you must come & see them for yourself ;) I hope the parcel arrived safe and sound!! Enjoy the rest of your summer and look forward to seeing you again !
Christena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whycocomagh
Silver Dart Lodge
The Iona Heights Inn
Hebridean Motel
Hebridean Motel
#1 of 1 in Port Hood

Been to Fair Isle Motel? Share your experiences!