Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
MacNeil House(Baddeck)
Silver Dart Lodge(Baddeck)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewscape bretonlarge kitchencabot trailplace to staygreat atmospherewonderful viewa great staym a z i n gbeautiful locationboard gamesgrocery storelakeloungeviberulesplansdeck
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Over the years I've probably stayed in close to 30 hostels all over the world. Bear on the Lake is one of the most tastefully decorated, clean and homey that I've been to. The common areas and kitchen areas are very communal and everything is very new. We stayed in a private room -- phenomenal value for money -- and it was really clean and comfortable and had its own private entrance. Although we went at a "down" time where there wasn't much "partying" going on, it was still extremely pleasant and far surpassed the small Cabot Trail hostel near Pleasant Bay. If I was going on the Cabot Trail with a few friends, I would certainly choose this hostel over the other. Kat was very friendly and all the facilities were lovely.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hope1979
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Having had great BBQ every evening and enjoyed Nova Scotia's great countryside (close to Cabot Trail and more), staying in this hostel is just awesome. And (beside HI Hostels in Charlottetown and Halifax) I've never had such an awesome staff!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This hostel had a friendly and warm atmosphere. Very clean. I found the chalk board a great idea. It really enhanced my fun by linking me with some other travelers who were interested in doing the same things. Kat was very knowledgeable and willing to assist in trip planning. An overall wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank laurel29438
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The guesthouse is located near the highway overlooking the lake, yet it is far enough away from the highway to be quiet. Though a very busy hostel, the host Kate made guests feel as if they were part of the family. My husband and I stayed in one of the lovely upper rooms. We were cyclists and Kate looked after our needs by offering to pick us up from the grocery store about 6km away, storing our bike inside in the evening and providing an opportunity to do our laundry. The night we were there, everyone combined dishes for a lovely communal meal. It was an excellent experience for us.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mef53
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Bear on the Lake hostel is one of the best places to recharge your "internal battery". Good vibes are in abundance and all guests are made to feel most welcome. I made it a point to return a second time following our (son and myself on motorcycles) excursion to Newfoundland.
Our hostess, Kat, went the extra mile to assure the guests were comfortable. She provided a wealth of information for travelers to consider on their journey. I would have to say on our month long motorcycle excursion for over 6000 miles, this would have to be one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2010