“A piece of bliss”

Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“A piece of bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was really an amazing place! Right by the waterfront, the serene environment, the friendly atmosphere which makes you feel wanted and the awesome staff. I have stayed in numerous hostels throughout North America and Europe, and could positively say that this ranked as one of the best experiences I ever had. And there is so much to do in that area. The Cabot trail, hiking, water sports, splendid cuisine or just setting back and enjoying the glow of the sun--you take your pick.
Recommended for sure. And as other reviewers have mentioned, Carmen is a super host.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My stay trully felt like being on a holiday. Bear on the Lake is in a relaxing spot overlooking the lovely Bras D'Or lakes. I loved the company of the other guests, it felt like we were all family. The hostel has all the facilities you need and a great kitchen for cooking meals. Everyone gathers around the dining table in the evenings and fun conversations are guaranteed. Carman is a great host and very knowledgeable on the area's attractions. The place is a gem!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Carman is a great host. He has his own way of making people feel welcome and special. The hostel is super clean and although I have shared a room with other girls, I slept like a bear. There are great hikes close to the hostel...but the most surprising of all is the water!! all comes from springs. So my skin felt super, my hair felt super, my cells were so grateful for such a nurturing moment. Oh yes, I will be back! :)

Holmes Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I literally have zero complaints about this amazing hostel. The whole house is sparkling clean and Carmen, the owner/manager, is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. I actually cut my trip short in Halifax to come back here!
The rooms are all very nice, with large communal areas for everyone! I stayed in a shared and a private and really liked them both. If you can afford it, I would really reccommend going for at least one night in the private rooms! There is a nice lounge area just in front of the two. The view from the hostel looks over the lake and has a firepit on location for you to use. I could not have been happier and would definitely return!

Thanks Carmen for the excellent stay!!!

1 Thank Amoep
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great hostel with a beautiful view of Bras d'or lake from the living room. It was clean and very cozy. There are a few beautiful hikes around the hostel and it's a good location to start the cabot trail. Carman is a great host, who made me feel right at home. He is very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Florence-Floor
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

After driving through the Cabot Trail counterclockwise, arriving at Bear on the Lake in Aberdeen we found a very welcoming and friendly place to stay for a night. Everybody staying at the hostel made the place comfortable. Carmen, our host made us feel right at home. The front view from the living room is amazing, looking out to Bras d'Or lake. Thanks for an awesome stay, Carmen!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pvangorp
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stumbled upon this place almost unintentionally - heard about it from a friend but weren't planning on staying until the last minute. Boy am I glad we did!! The view of the lake is gorgeous, not to mention the house itself. Probably THE nicest hostel I've ever stayed in - leather furniture, nice picture frames on the walls, big kitchen, patio and yard with nightly bonfires. Our private room upstairs had our own private living room (also with a view) and bathroom (I'm unclear on whether we would have shared these facilities if the other upstairs room was occupied, but regardless, it was lovely). Carman was lovely and helpful, so friendly and excited to have us there. We brought our 10 month old daughter with us, and he was nothing but happy to have her. Can't wait to visit again :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cecilia R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whycocomagh
Silver Dart Lodge
#2 of 2 in Whycocomagh
Auld Farm Inn B & B
Auld Farm Inn B & B
#2 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to Bear on the Lake Guesthouse? Share your experiences!