“Gem of a place”

Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My stay trully felt like being on a holiday. Bear on the Lake is in a relaxing spot overlooking the lovely Bras D'Or lakes. I loved the company of the other guests, it felt like we were all family. The hostel has all the facilities you need and a great kitchen for cooking meals. Everyone gathers around the dining table in the evenings and fun conversations are guaranteed. Carman is a great host and very knowledgeable on the area's attractions. The place is a gem!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Carman is a great host. He has his own way of making people feel welcome and special. The hostel is super clean and although I have shared a room with other girls, I slept like a bear. There are great hikes close to the hostel...but the most surprising of all is the water!! all comes from springs. So my skin felt super, my hair felt super, my cells were so grateful for such a nurturing moment. Oh yes, I will be back! :)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I literally have zero complaints about this amazing hostel. The whole house is sparkling clean and Carmen, the owner/manager, is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. I actually cut my trip short in Halifax to come back here!
The rooms are all very nice, with large communal areas for everyone! I stayed in a shared and a private and really liked them both. If you can afford it, I would really reccommend going for at least one night in the private rooms! There is a nice lounge area just in front of the two. The view from the hostel looks over the lake and has a firepit on location for you to use. I could not have been happier and would definitely return!

Thanks Carmen for the excellent stay!!!

1  Thank Amoep
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great hostel with a beautiful view of Bras d'or lake from the living room. It was clean and very cozy. There are a few beautiful hikes around the hostel and it's a good location to start the cabot trail. Carman is a great host, who made me feel right at home. He is very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Florence-Floor
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After driving through the Cabot Trail counterclockwise, arriving at Bear on the Lake in Aberdeen we found a very welcoming and friendly place to stay for a night. Everybody staying at the hostel made the place comfortable. Carmen, our host made us feel right at home. The front view from the living room is amazing, looking out to Bras d'Or lake. Thanks for an awesome stay, Carmen!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pvangorp
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stumbled upon this place almost unintentionally - heard about it from a friend but weren't planning on staying until the last minute. Boy am I glad we did!! The view of the lake is gorgeous, not to mention the house itself. Probably THE nicest hostel I've ever stayed in - leather furniture, nice picture frames on the walls, big kitchen, patio and yard with nightly bonfires. Our private room upstairs had our own private living room (also with a view) and bathroom (I'm unclear on whether we would have shared these facilities if the other upstairs room was occupied, but regardless, it was lovely). Carman was lovely and helpful, so friendly and excited to have us there. We brought our 10 month old daughter with us, and he was nothing but happy to have her. Can't wait to visit again :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cecilia R
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed for one night as part of a weekend motorcycle trip around the Cabot Trail. I choose to take one of the private rooms as I was planning an early escape and did not want to disturb anyone. Carman is a great host and very friendly. He certainly should be proud of his establishment. Everyone I met was super friendly and seemed to be enjoying their time on the Island. The location is good if you are planning to tour the Island as it is central to most anything.

I can only give this an average rating because there was several small items throughout that needed attention from a maintenance point of view and for me were rather annoying. Also due to the intense amount of black flies and mosquitoes you could not sit outside for fear of being eaten alive, but this of course is out of our hosts hands. The additional cost of the private room I considered rather steep considering what I got for it, $20 cheaper and it would be an ok deal, I think I would stay in a regular motel/hotel next time.

Bear on the Lake is best suited for someone who wishes to stay longer term while seeing the Island and save money while doing so. There is a full kitchen available with a fridge for use and a bbq outside for cooking up meals. The downstairs family room / eating area is kept clean and has nice big windows that look out over the lake. There is free wifi and phone to make local calls. There is lots of parking but be aware that the driveway and parking area is loose gravel that is all sloped and can be tricky for motorcycle parking or turning around.

As I did not sleep or see the dorm sleeping area I cannot speak of it. I am not sure if the house has a/c.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo